Thread: [Re-signed] Schmaltz gets paid: $5.85X7 from Coyotes

Dobber Sports Sage

Default [Re-signed] Schmaltz gets paid: $5.85X7 from Coyotes

Seems like an overpay? Perhaps based on a fancy stats obsession and maybe some embarrassment at the results of Strome and Perlini in Chicago?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: [Re-signed] Schmaltz gets paid: $5.85X7 from Coyotes

I actually don't think it's a bad contract. Not many 1C (and that is what he is in Arizona) getting this type of contract lately and if he can continue what he started with Keller before the injury (17pts in 19 games), this could be a real bargain for the Coyotes.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Granted the line has really shifted with Matthews, Nylander and a few others getting bigger money out of their ELCs but most comparable contracts are:

Ehlers, Drouin, Horvat, Guentzel, Barkov, Forsberg and MacKinnon. Schmaltz isn't in the same stratosphere as most of those guys but that probably highlights what bargains Barkov and MacKinnon are particularly. But more recent deals like Ehlers and Guentzel also shine brighter than Schmaltz here. He could outperform the deal but this reeks of Edmonton spending up on Nuge and Eberle out of their ELCs before they really earned those deals. And even those guys did more than Schmaltz has.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

It could pay off considering he's still very young but it's not great value ATM

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I actually don't think it's a bad contract. Not many 1C (and that is what he is in Arizona) getting this type of contract lately and if he can continue what he started with Keller before the injury (17pts in 19 games), this could be a real bargain for the Coyotes.
    Schmaltz is definitely not the #1 center in Arizona nor will he be so in either of the next 2 seasons. Derek Stepan has that role locked up. With that said, less than $6M per year for a guy who's definitely one of your top forwards and who's at an age where he should still be improving may prove to be a good contract.

I would say it's a pretty fair market deal although I don't like going 7 years for a guy who's missed a lot of games while on his ELC.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think you will see next year, that he IS the #1 center there. Stepan has nothing locked up. It's just a matter of time. The chemistry he showed with Keller early on with push him to that spot.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think you will see next year, that he IS the #1 center there. Stepan has nothing locked up. It's just a matter of time. The chemistry he showed with Keller early on with push him to that spot.
    This seems likely. They invested a lot moving a former #3 pick to get Schmaltz because apparently they had been trying to get him for awhile. They've now doubled down with this big contract so there is clearly heavy organizational belief here. That sort of heavy investment can go a long way to getting a player multiple chances even through struggles.

A lot of these bets on young players where the team pays the guy for what they expect him to be rather than what he is have paid off but every now and then a team takes it too far with the wrong guy. That said, they are still paying him for his age 23-29 seasons, so they're getting his entire prime. While I don't think I'd want Schmaltz to be my #1 C, if he can give #2 C results this will be a good deal.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

This is paying for potential and indicates their plans for Schmaltz. I suspect they will give him every opportunity imaginable to secure the #1 center role. It is a huge gamble, but *if* it all works out and he continues to show chemistry with Keller, then this deal could be a steal.

I have no problem with a team like the Coyotes doing this. They are never near the cap and have the money to take a risk like this.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

overpay now to underpay halfway through. That's the gamble
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good deal imo.

6 mil isn't much in this league anymore. People thinking this is a huge overpay are stuck in five years ago mentality.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???