Thread: please rate prospects

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default please rate prospects

Who do you think is MORE of a SURE thing.

These prospects are being hyped with a large upside and was wondering who you think is more of \"a sure thing\" between them. I would generally ask you to pick one, but you can go ahead and rate them if you feel they are ALL surefires.

Meuller - 95 pts
    Kane - 100 pts
    Price - 45 wins 5-10 shutouts
    Letang - 65-70 pts
    Turris - 95 pts

please note in my deep keeper league goalies who reach 40 wins and def who rech 60 pts are hard to come by.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:please rate prospects

Hello Dobbermaniac:

I will go this way:
    1. Kane (He is going to start for Chicago and will be a star).
    2. Letang (He will be on the second pp. Because of the value of scoring defencemen, and he will likely make the team, he is above Mueller.
    3. Mueller (He is going to be a great player. He will be the leader in Phoenix.)
    4. Price (I considered moving him to 3, and maybe 2, because I really do think that he could end up being the backup/starter in Montreal this year. He is an extemely good goaltender. He just needs the opportunity. If he gets it. The fans will love him and the pressure will be on Montreal to play him.)
    5. Turris (The only reason that he is last is because it is going to be a couple years, possibly, before he is in the NHL. He needs to bulk up but he probably is the best player of the group of forwards.)

My thoughts.

Dobber Sports Novice

kane will be a star
    letang will push gonchar out next year , he is that good
    price may help habs fans forget about roy

the other 2 play for phx , wasteland of the nhl :sick:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

so kane seems to be the surest thing? hmm with his size he can also be a sure band-aid boy.
    when he played with bigger/better boys in WJC i did not see much of him, but meuller seemed to overshadow him?

will letang reach 60 pts consistently? even if he has the skill whitney will get most of his pts, i don\'t ever see letang on the 1st PP unless whitney is injured. pitts likes to use asmany fwrds as possible i think.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Here\'s my \"sure-thing\" list:

Mueller
    Kane
    Letang
    Price
    Turris

I see Mueller as the surest thing on the list. Solid, plays beyond his years, will be the top-line center. Will be a solid 70-point player within a couple of years, even on Phoenix.

Kane still must overcome the size issue and show that he can also do it in the NHL, against men instead of boys. He\'s got higher upside than Mueller but there\'s still a risk he can\'t adjust and doesn\'t reach his potential. But there\'s a good chance he\'ll be the high scorer of this list.

All signs point to Letang being the #1a guy in Pittsburgh as soon as Gonchar is gone. Until this happens, he\'ll toil in fantasy mediocrity on the 2nd pp unit. The question seems to be not whether he\'s a sure thing, but rather how much longer Gonchar sticks around. 2 years? 3 years? It\'s anyone\'s guess. But you can be sure that it\'s around the time Crosby, Malkin and Staal are hitting their strides, so he and Whitney will be assist machines.

Price has top-end talent and as was mentioned, the knowledgeable hockey fans in Montreal will push for him to become the #1 sooner rather than later (my guess is 2 more seasons before this happens). There\'s little doubt that he eventually will get that #1 spot and will likely be a top 10, probably top 5 NHL goalie. Problem is, if he stays with the Habs, will he be a top 5 fantasy goalie? I have my doubts, but that\'s up to you.

Turris is also a bit of a project. He\'ll be brought along more slowly than these other guys and anything can happen in the meantime. However, he has oodles of potential and there\'s no reason to believe he won\'t realize that potential.

Since Letang, Price, and Turris are still at least 2 years away from prime icetime, they are lower on this \"surest thing\" list. Anything can happen in those years, and so there\'s inherently more risk.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

excellent points.
    would like to hear from dobber and/or bugg as they wrote the prospects guide back in june.

Dobber Sports Novice

For me :

1 - Mueller (because he will have a ton of space. He looks pretty strong. Even if its high, smallest upside of the 3 forwards you mentionned I think.)

2 - Price (because he has top-end talent. He can decide on which way the game will go. And, with the farm system of the Montreal Canadiens, he will become a good fantasy picks)

3 - Letang (In few years at the blue line, with Whitney, they will do sparks, maybe lightning, maybe even thunder ! What a duo.)

4 - Kane (Too much talent, but will he resist from the NHLers assault ? He is so \"brittle\" (\"frêle\" in french)). Not sure about this word. But, on an another side, Savard, Brière and many others made it...

4 - Turris (A natural scorer. Fast. Soft hands. Talent. He has everything. Forget about the BCHL versus the WHL argument, he will become a superstar in the NHL one day. I\'m tired about the same sentence : \"He need to bulk up\" 95 % of the prospects need to. Only Mueller is really NHL ready. Yes he needs it, but what about Kane...)

But, I really think each of them will become stars or even super stars... so either way, you won\'t be wrong.

Have a nice day.

Post edited by: Froggy, at: 2007/08/28 13:44

Post edited by: Froggy, at: 2007/08/28 13:47

Post edited by: Froggy, at: 2007/08/28 13:53

Dobber Sports Novice

Double post. Don\'t know why...

Post edited by: Froggy, at: 2007/08/28 13:43

Dobber Sports Rookie

I agree with Froggy except would place Letang 2nd behind Mueller and ahead of Price. Cant discount the fact that Letang is the right handed shooting defenceman the Pens badly need. He may see time on the first PP unit before we all think...

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would not under-rate Meuller and Turris just because they play for Phoniex. I think Phonies is finally starting to gather top young players and could be a top team in a few years.
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Della Madonna

Hello,

I dont agree with hockey nut

50 years will pass and Montreal will never have a golie that is as mentaly strong as roy and as determinated as roy and above all a winner like roy Perfection was roy greatest quality. Im not saying Price will be is not spectacular and a future star in MTL. Price will never beat Roy in my mind. Buti must admit the hype around him his very strong and fans are exited to have Price in the system.

Roy is in an other category he his a legende just like Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr and so on...
    This is My opinion
    MDM

Dobber Sports Novice

We\'ll see what Price can do in Montréal. Don\'t be so fast on the gun. Don\'t forget, Roy was not an hype prospect before he joined the Canadiens. Price is. I think he can really become a star à la Brodeur or Luongo. As you know, they will both join the hall of fame. Maybe Price is the next big thing who knows... future will tell Della Madonna.

Froggy