Thread: Erik Cernak - RD Tampa Bay Lightning

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Erik Cernak - RD Tampa Bay Lightning

I wasn't very aware of him before this year's training camp but I've been looking into him more since his call-up this past week. Never expected to do much offensively but in the AHL this year he has 2g and 5 a in 9 games despite having more of a shut-down style than anything. I'm more interested in his multi-cat potential where through 3 games with the Bolts he's averaging 5 hits with about 16 minutes of ice time.

Any thoughts about him? With Stralman, Girardi, and Coburn all potentially (likely?) gone after this year can Cernak become the D-man I hoped Jake Dotchin would be? The physical right-handed defenseman with a contract so cheap the Lightning can't not plug him into the line-up?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Erik Cernak - RD Tampa Bay Lightning

I think he's very likely going to have a spot next year. I don't know what to make of his production in the AHL this year as he really doesn't look very offensively minded out there. Small sample size so it could be luck. I would target him for hits and blocks and some PIM and especially in salary cap leagues where cheap dmen are hard to come by.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    With Stralman, Girardi, and Coburn all potentially (likely?) gone after this year can Cernak become the D-man I hoped Jake Dotchin would be? The physical right-handed defenseman with a contract so cheap the Lightning can't not plug him into the line-up?
    You nailed it here.
    Some REP to you. Yes, exactly, his low cap makes him a lock for the Bolts 19-20 roster.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I wasn't very aware of him before this year's training camp but I've been looking into him more since his call-up this past week. Never expected to do much offensively but in the AHL this year he has 2g and 5 a in 9 games despite having more of a shut-down style than anything. I'm more interested in his multi-cat potential where through 3 games with the Bolts he's averaging 5 hits with about 16 minutes of ice time.

Any thoughts about him? With Stralman, Girardi, and Coburn all potentially (likely?) gone after this year can Cernak become the D-man I hoped Jake Dotchin would be? The physical right-handed defenseman with a contract so cheap the Lightning can't not plug him into the line-up?
    On this point, it appears Dotchin himself will be getting a chance to become the dman you hoped Dotchin would be.

Cernak is pretty good too, especially in multi-cat.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

He's been paired with McDanaugh and doing quite well so far. Lots of hits, some PIM, even 3 assists. I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks this year even after Stralman returns.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.