Thread: J. Staal...

Dobber Sports Genius

Default J. Staal...

So guys, is this a don\'t get your hopes up game from him or is it a sign of things to come? Just asking for predictions...will he be parked in front of the net (where he scored all 3 goals last night) on the PP or on crosby or malkins line? or will they just leave him on the 3rd line with some more PP time...

p.s. dobber, how come Berglund and Vorecek aren\'t on the prospect list anymore but Sekera and a few other NHL regulars are?
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default J. Staal...

From everything that I have heard, this is a sign of things to come. He might not be on the same line as Crosby and Malkin but he is going to be a pretty good. No one sees him being traded even for the talent of someone like a Gaborik. Hold onto him if you have him. Consider him to be what Sully is in LA
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

I...am your father.

Default J. Staal...

ddpdaver wrote:
    So guys, is this a don\'t get your hopes up game from him or is it a sign of things to come? Just asking for predictions...will he be parked in front of the net (where he scored all 3 goals last night) on the PP or on crosby or malkins line? or will they just leave him on the 3rd line with some more PP time...

p.s. dobber, how come Berglund and Vorecek aren\'t on the prospect list anymore but Sekera and a few other NHL regulars are?
    Hi ddp daver, I explained this in a thread in Prospects, as well as a bit in my ramblings
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Genius

Default J. Staal...

OK thanks Dobber. I only read what is along the side of the front page (and in the ramblings)

So what is your opinion on staal? trade the bastard now? or can his value be higher later on?
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Expert

Default J. Staal...

No one sees him being traded even for the talent of someone like a Gaborik.
    Well seems i´m the only one.

Staal is a center and he will be the 3rd row center as long as Malkin and Crosby are in Pittsburgh. They tried him on the wing on the top 6, but it didn´t work and he´s doing a great job in the checking line.

Staal can score goals, he can kill penaltys and he can take the opponents first row out of the game, but he will not get top 6 minutes in pittsbugh.

I think the pens would trade him for a winger, who can play with sid and it would make sense. STaal has one year left then he will be free agent and he will be to expensive to just use him on the 3rd row.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default J. Staal...

When he\'s determined to score, he plays awesome. Problem is, last two year\'s the game\'s he\'s playing with that kind of determination is few and far between. With the right mindset, he could really explode on the scoreboad some year. However, I have my doubts we\'re going to see that anytime in the next 3+ years.

moptopmaple

Default J. Staal...

As was mentiond by another poster here recently, Jordan Staal is a Blue Chipper.

He\'s still going to take a long time to develop though, and in my opinion, patient keeper league owners will be rewarded.

Its nice to see the odd hat-trick like last night to confirm that there is talent there, especially on a line without mch scoring power. But the real highend points will come when he develops his offensive game to the point of being on one of the big lines.

Everyone calls J.Staal out for being a bust, but he just turned 20 two month ago? Wow.

I...am your father.

Default J. Staal...

Dennis4022 wrote:
    No one sees him being traded even for the talent of someone like a Gaborik.
    Well seems i´m the only one.

Staal is a center and he will be the 3rd row center as long as Malkin and Crosby are in Pittsburgh. They tried him on the wing on the top 6, but it didn´t work and he´s doing a great job in the checking line.

Staal can score goals, he can kill penaltys and he can take the opponents first row out of the game, but he will not get top 6 minutes in pittsbugh.

I think the pens would trade him for a winger, who can play with sid and it would make sense. STaal has one year left then he will be free agent and he will be to expensive to just use him on the 3rd row.
    Quit talking \"third line center, second line center, blah blah blah\". That\'s loser talk! (I say that with tongue in cheek).
    Jeff Carter is a so-called \"third line center\" and look at him. If a player is good, he will get the ice time needed and he will produce. Period.

If Olli Jokinen signed with Pittsburgh, would you think Jokinen would be a 40-point guy? Well, he would be a third line center, right? C\'mon. Look past the depth chart and look at the talent.

Staal will be an 80-point guy, and this year I think he can get 60.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Expert

Default J. Staal...

Well right now his linemates are Cooke and Kennedy and he´s not able to produce big numbers centering these guys. And his main task is to shutdown the best players on the other team.

He´s a center and not a wing, that will always leave him behind with the 3rd best wingers. Not much to be exited about.

I agree that he can score 80 points but not with Malkin and Crosby in Pittsburgh!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default J. Staal...

Dobber wrote:
    Quit talking \"third line center, second line center, blah blah blah\". That\'s loser talk! (I say that with tongue in cheek).
    Jeff Carter is a so-called \"third line center\" and look at him. If a player is good, he will get the ice time needed and he will produce. Period. [/quote]

Good Point, look at the 2nd line center in Detroit - he\'s a top scorer in the league right now.