Thread: Bernier vs. Mason

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Bernier vs. Mason

I need to know if waiting for Bernier to make the show is the right move or should I be jumping on mason with his success and all. Who will be the better goalie in the long run. Will mason, like the world jrs., be better than bernier in the future? Karma for advice!
    16 Team Keeper League - H2H: 4 keepers
    Forward Categories - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HITS
    Goalie Categories - W, GA, GAA, SV, SO

Keepers

Crosby
    Kessel
    Vorachek
    T. Rask

Drafted 2015/16
    Eichel, Backes, Hudler, Schwartz, Markov, D. Hamilton, Garrison, Klingberg, Zuccarello, Hartnell, M. Johansen, Bobrovski

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Not really looking for KARMA here but I think I would take Bernier. LA is going to be a GREAT team down the road. Bernier could be playing right now but LA is being smart and letting him get some seasoning in first. GREAT MOVE BY THE KINGS.

Mason is going to be good aswell but if you are comparing the two I would definately want BERNIER..
    Z..

goodluck with your decision cubob.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Genius

I\'ve been singing the Mason song for some time. Bernier\'s stock went through the roof in the fall of 07. He started those first couple of games with the Kings. Fantasy has been extolling his virtues ever since. He\'s a fine prospect, but I don\'t think he\'s got a job simply by showing up and announcing he\'s ready. I was very disappointed with him last year when he was cut from the World Jr. team. He\'s supposed to save LA, but he didn\'t make Jr. Team Canada. He\'s done a lot of very good stuff. He is on the path to the NHL. What his role is when he arrives is yet to be determined. Making the NHL and being a 70 game starter are two different things. I think Bernier has a bunch of dues to pay yet. He also has some obstacles in the form of other decent prospects in the Kings system. They will compete with him for ice time. This may be a blessing. This may slow him down.

Mason. He has done everything you are supposed to do to this point in time to be considered an elite NHL prospect. I really wish Columbus would send him back down to the AHL for a years development. I have serious concerns about his health. He\'s had two knee surgeries this year. He\'s a mature kid with a great outlook. Going through all the steps would be good for him though. I hope Leclair is back soon. Mason could be ready for the NHL full time as early as next season. Then a 30 or 35 game schedule would be the maximum.

Anyway, you can see I believe that people should be very patient with their young tenders. Mason, Rask, Bernier & Pavelec are the cream. Almost all of the other up and comers that everyone is excited about, they are looking at the teams situations and viewing opportunity, more than the goaltenders readiness factor. Quality Fantasy tenders have the ability to play at a high level in the NHL. The best ones also have a good team to play on.

Rask/Mason are #1
    Bernier/Pavelec are #3

Picking right with tenders is an absolutely brutal trick.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Bernier wasn\'t cut from the WJC team... pretty big mistake for such a long post.
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Ninja

I really think Bishop needs to be included on the list of up and coming goaltenders as well.

Dobber Sports Star

Thanks for then insight JHM. I tend to agree with you that picking elite tenders is a brutally difficult task, as so many factors come into play: development curve, playing time, coaching, etc.

I see that in addition to Mason\'s three victories, Pavelec has also been playing some good minutes in Atlanta.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013