Thread: End of the line for Carle?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default End of the line for Carle?

So I drafted Matt Carle in one of my leagues (counts only points plus a bonus point for PPP) with hopes he would hang with Lecavalier & St. Luois on the #1 PP unit in Tampa. Obviously things have not worked out well for him and it seems that he is now 3rd in the depth chart behind Ranger and Meszaros. Is this the end of the line for him? The guy has 1pt in the month of October and things don\'t seem to be looking up.

Is it time to jump ship of this guy? Its hard to think that someone who had 40pts as a rookie can tank this badly but he seems to be heading in that direction. I\'m doing my best not to panic since we are only a month into the season but things are not looking up.

Thoughts? If I were to bail on him I have the option of grabbing Greene (the thread starting machine), Grebeshkov, MA Bergeron, Preissing, Yandle, Martin or Ohlund to name a few.
    10 team, roto G, A, PTS, PIM, PPP, SHP, +/-, Shots, W, Save %, SO
    2011/12 Roster:
    C: Getzlaf, M. Richards, Weiss, Dubinsky
    LW: Burrows, Benn, Malone, Kunitz
    RW: Malkin, C. Stewart, Semin, J. Williams
    D: Letang, Phaneuf, Pronger, Corvo, Del Zotto, Y. Weber
    G: Kiprusoff, Backstrom, Brodeur
    Bench: Smyth

Farm: L. Adam, B. Connelly, Tatar, Beach, Pulkinnen, Jeffrey, Toffoli; Subban, Pietrangelo, B. Smith, Gardiner; Rask, Dekanich, Lack.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I am also wondering about Carle. With the return of Ranger, it just doesnt look as bright anymore lol.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think what a lot of people forget is that it usually takes years for defensemen to find their comfort zone and timing offensively. Yeah, Carle had an amazing first year and then he couldn\'t live up to the expectations that first year created. On the other hand, he\'s become a lot better on the defensive end. He turns 24 this season, if I\'m not mistaken, and that\'s still quite young for an offensive defenseman.

Another thing to consider is that Tampa Bay as a whole have struggled offensively.

I have him in my keeper and I\'m keeping him on the bench mostly because I can, but also because I think patience is something that is needed with a lot of young dmen. He has the tools, otherwise he wouldn\'t have performed like he did in his rookie year. He just has to put it all together.

In a one-year league, I\'d dump him, but in a keeper, I would definitely keep him. The only other guy on your list who is interesting enough in my eyes is Yandle, but even there you have to expect a few years before he can be expected to find his comfort zone. Patience.
    GO WINGS!

I...am your father.

Not the end of the line for good, but the end of the line for this year, I\'d say. I dropped him Wednesday for Andy Greene in my Forecaster keeper league
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Benson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Kovalenko, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie, Daws
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Hanifin, Severson, Nikishin, Andrae

Dobber Sports Genius

I wouldn\'t blame poolies for cutting line. What are you looking for before you cut line if this isn\'t it? 15 points last year. One point in eight games this year. The thing is that deep down, we know that there is something there. Something that could wiggle its way out. That\'s what hurts!

Grebeshkov - I have a hard time jumping on his ship. He looked like Carle for a lot of years!
    MA Bergeron - not for me. I don\'t like tooth aches.
    Preissing - looks like trouble to me. Sitting in the stands?
    Yandle - interesting kid. Might be worth a chance.
    Martin - he\'ll give 30-35 points before the dust settles.
    Ohlund - great D-man. Injury concerns. 30-35 points on 75+ games.

If you\'re a high roller try Yandle or Grebeshkov. Want something safe? Take Martin.

Banned

I wouldnt blame you for dumping him, this doesn\'t appear to be his year. Greene seems to be the consensus pick and I won\'t disagree with it. Someone has to score on the PP on the devils D and no one else has shown a damn thing

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Dobber wrote:
    Not the end of the line for good, but the end of the line for this year, I\'d say. I dropped him Wednesday for Andy Greene in my Forecaster keeper league
    Good discussion gents. Although this league is a keeper league, we only keep 3 players off our 12 man rosters so players like Carle are essentially only in there for one year.

And its a funny little coincidence that Dobber has done the same move that I am strongly considering. My smack talk after the pick-up will be \"Andy Greene: Because Dobber told me to!\":P
    10 team, roto G, A, PTS, PIM, PPP, SHP, +/-, Shots, W, Save %, SO
    2011/12 Roster:
    C: Getzlaf, M. Richards, Weiss, Dubinsky
    LW: Burrows, Benn, Malone, Kunitz
    RW: Malkin, C. Stewart, Semin, J. Williams
    D: Letang, Phaneuf, Pronger, Corvo, Del Zotto, Y. Weber
    G: Kiprusoff, Backstrom, Brodeur
    Bench: Smyth

Farm: L. Adam, B. Connelly, Tatar, Beach, Pulkinnen, Jeffrey, Toffoli; Subban, Pietrangelo, B. Smith, Gardiner; Rask, Dekanich, Lack.

Dobber Sports Stud

Then again, none of Tampa\'s D-Men have been doing too much...

As a Carle owner, I still have hope.
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think we think points almost too much. The reason he isn\'t performing and getting the chance offensively is that he is hopeless defensively.

Dobber Sports Stud

Dump him.

He looked pretty bad. Lots of bad giveaways too, they\'ll hurt his confidence.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT