Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: best NSH D

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: best NSH D

I'd hope so Josi was a monster after returning from injury.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I think that was meant as tongue cheek. Josi had 14 points in 22 play off games last year. Subban had only 12. Same amount of ice time and PP time. Not sure how Subban was so obviously the better player. I agree during one or two game Subban was a beast, but overall I thought Josi was the better player. Slightly.
    It was not tongue in cheek. Josi is a nice offensive player, but at the total game of playing the defensive position in the NHL, he's quite obviously their fourth best option on the ice. Subban and Ekholm blow Josi away, and Ellis is close but slightly better.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It was not tongue in cheek. Josi is a nice offensive player, but at the total game of playing the defensive position in the NHL, he's quite obviously their fourth best option on the ice. Subban and Ekholm blow Josi away, and Ellis is close but slightly better.
    I can see where you're coming from, and I'm glad you can appreciate how solid Ekholm/Subban are, but I will politely disagree that Josi is the fourth best overall D on Nashville
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Josi is a bad player at all. But Subban is clearly their best player defensively, and offensively he's as good as any of the other three. Josi, Ellis and Ekholm are all very good top-4 D-men and it's hard to really rank them because they play a different style of game and none of them is really clearly above or below the other two. You could say that Josi is 2nd, 3rd or 4th best and I wouldn't mind any of those arguments. But ahead of Subban? That's a tougher argument to make.

And just to clarify some more, I'm only talking about real life play here, not fantasy hockey.

Dobber Sports Deity

I've heard many people refer to Subbans offense and high end, but rarely do people call him a high end "defensive" player. LOL! It was his risky and questionable plays that kept him in the stands for the Olympics and was the ire of his former HC in Montreal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

When it comes to fantasy, I think Josi will have the production edge regardless of who is "better" than the other. Fantasy production-wise, maybe this ends up being MacInnis (Josi) vs. Pronger (Subban) while they were in St. Louis, with the perhaps better guy (Pronger) producing less than the other (MacInnis)
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I've heard many people refer to Subbans offense and high end, but rarely do people call him a high end "defensive" player. LOL! It was his risky and questionable plays that kept him in the stands for the Olympics and was the ire of his former HC in Montreal.
    You should watch him in Nashville. He makes less of those risky plays and his defensive play is rock solid. Maybe it was the trade or just him entering the prime of his career as a defenseman (not talking about offensive prime which usually comes a bit earlier) but Subban was probably the best defensive player in the entire playoffs, not just for Nashville.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Perception vs. Reality.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Perception vs. Reality.
    His questionable defensive choices while he was with the Habs was very much a reality.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Josi is #1 for me.

But damn Nashville and their stacked D.

Dobber Sports Ace

I love watching PK, but Josi is a well-oiled machine. He slumped hard last year and still put together the stats for him to land inside the top-10 D in my roto league. I don't recall watching him struggle like he did there in the past three seasons, either, so for me it's just a blip on the radar.

I'd take Josi of the two, but couldn't fault a GM for going the other way, especially since PK would likely have more name-based trade value.
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko