Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [BUYOUT] Niemi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: [BUYOUT] Niemi

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^I think that sample size on Forsberg is still too small.
    Its performance on one team (CBJ) and he may just not have been a fit there.

Ben Bishop didn't have much to show for stats in his first cups of tea (23gp) over 3-4 seasons of NHL spot-work:
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats...866/ben-bishop

Bishop was 26 years old before he finally put together a string of good NHL performances.
    Bishop DID have really really good AHL SV% (in his three previous years to becoming an NHL regular).
    As I said, the small sample size is part of the problem. Who knows, he could be a really good backup. But are you sure about that? Are you ready to hand him the backup job without any competition? That's all I tried to say.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well... both Crawford and Darling put in 2+ years of decent/solid AHL numbers - though both had time with Rockford.
    It shall be seen whether CHI wants Forsberg to have time with Rockford or whether they will give him a chance to play his 15-20 as back-up (given the AHL numbers).
    I think both Crawford and Darling were around 25yr old guys when they got their back-up promotion.

Over past 5 years, CHI hasn't shown any indication that they need or want a "veteran" type of back-up.
    So I think these conditions bode well for Forsberg's potential use as back-up, as he's 24/25yrs old - as Crawford & Darling were.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    As I said, the small sample size is part of the problem. Who knows, he could be a really good backup. But are you sure about that? Are you ready to hand him the backup job without any competition? That's all I tried to say.
    I agree. Doesnt hurt to add a vet to compete with him.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Well... both Crawford and Darling put in 2+ years of decent/solid AHL numbers - though both had time with Rockford.
    It shall be seen whether CHI wants Forsberg to have time with Rockford or whether they will give him a chance to play his 15-20 as back-up (given the AHL numbers).
    I think both Crawford and Darling were around 25yr old guys when they got their back-up promotion.

Over past 5 years, CHI hasn't shown any indication that they need or want a "veteran" type of back-up.
    So I think these conditions bode well for Forsberg's potential use as back-up, as he's 24/25yrs old - as Crawford & Darling were.
    The problem with Rockford is that Forsberg requires waivers to be sent down. So if they want him in the AHL, they risk losing him to waivers. They would need a backup plan for that at least if nothing else. It's much easier to promote guys from your own system when you can give them some games, see how they handle them and then either give them more games or send them back down. In those cases, they usually have a backup goalie in place, so they're not handing the job unless the youngsters are truly ready. That's why it would be rather odd if they acquire a 24/25-year-old who has shown nothing at the NHL level and just make him their backup goalie for the season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    I agree. Doesnt hurt to add a vet to compete with him.
    I might disagree.
    Has this been working in the NHL recently, adding an "older back-up"?
    I think about Miller & Brodeur being added to St.Louis... Bishop to Los Angeles.
    Niemi being added to Lehtonen.

I'm working from memory... but it kind of feels like "adding the vet" is... not working.
    Again, this one's from memory... but I feel like more teams are having success when the young kid from the AHL is rising up to join.

I'm sure there's some arguments for and against... just feels like the vet-competition may not necessarily be best for team/clubhouse.

All of these thoughts going towards this thread and Niemi.
    I just don't see Niemi being a smart back-up signing for Chicago... he was the guy BEFORE Crawford... which makes him the older vet.
    Nope, sorry, no - I don't like it.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Leafs need a back-up, may sign a cheap cap friendly contract and double dip.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Giant

Unfortunately for me (as a Hellebuyck owner), I think he'll end up in Winnipeg...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Unfortunately for me (as a Hellebuyck owner), I think he'll end up in Winnipeg...
    I'm thinking (and hoping) it'll be Elliot. Apparently Elliot's on the Jets' radar, and is making tentative accommodations for WPG (as per Rick Ralph, of TSN Jets radio, at least):

https://twitter.com/RickRalphTSN/sta...44437587062786

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I might disagree.
    Has this been working in the NHL recently, adding an "older back-up"?
    I think about Miller & Brodeur being added to St.Louis... Bishop to Los Angeles.
    Niemi being added to Lehtonen.

I'm working from memory... but it kind of feels like "adding the vet" is... not working.
    Again, this one's from memory... but I feel like more teams are having success when the young kid from the AHL is rising up to join.

I'm sure there's some arguments for and against... just feels like the vet-competition may not necessarily be best for team/clubhouse.

All of these thoughts going towards this thread and Niemi.
    I just don't see Niemi being a smart back-up signing for Chicago... he was the guy BEFORE Crawford... which makes him the older vet.
    Nope, sorry, no - I don't like it.
    It's just the stock answer. Reticence to trust young players.