Thread: Keep D Men Advice- Next Year/Beyond

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keep D Men Advice- Next Year/Beyond

Hi Guys,

I needed some quick advice based on the categories in my signature. I am in a Semi Keeper league. Every year, the five players chosen in the first first 5 rounds go back into the draft. Draft picks chosen from round 6 to 13 you may opt to keep.

I currently have 2 D Men on my Roster, who are Werenski and Ristolainen, who were chosen in late rounds (drafted in the 9th and 13th rounds, therefore I can retain them as Keeper picks).

I have an option of also picking up the following D Men (for some reason have not been scooped up) and since they are undrafted I can keep them as a keeper picks.

- Provorov
    - Parayko
    - Ghost
    - Trouba

Should I replace Werenski and Ristolainen with any of these D Men above based on our leagues point categories?
    Should I add a 3rd D-Men from the above (since I have a chance to pick up one of these players) who might produce like a forward?

I do have the option of picking up D Men like Subban, Doughty etc in the first 5 rounds next year, but wanted concentrate on my Goalies and Forwards..

Looking forward to your great advice!!
    Molson Canadian - Semi Keeper League - 14 Teams

Categories
    FWD/D - Goals (3), Asts(2), PPP(1), Game Winning Goal(1) SOG (.2), Hits (0.3), Blocks (0.3),
    GOALIE - Wins (4), GA (-1), Saves (0.2), SO (2)
    Roster Positions: [B] C, LW, RW, F, F, D, D, D, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR + (For Goalies)

Daily Starts - H 2 H Settings, Weekly Mon to Sun (Yahoo)

Keepers are in BOLD

Forwards - Wheeler (C/RW), Suzuki (C/RW), Huberdeau (LW), Borkstrand (LW/RW), Ehlers (LW,RW), Puljujarvi (RW), E Lindholm
    Burakovsky (LW/RW), Batherson (RW)
    Defence - Drysdale, Makar, Seider, Krug
    Goal - Shesterkin, Petersen
    IR - Byfield (C)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Keep D Men Advice- Next Year/Beyond

I'd keep the two you have, although they should be close to Parayko next year and we never know how Gost will bounce back..
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev

Dobber Sports Stud

Keep Werenski and Ristolainen, they're both entrenched in their roles and their situation is great on good offensive teams.

As for the others... it's close in the sense that any 4 of them could become very productive in the right context.
    Right now, I would choose Ghost - what he did last year was special and he has home-run potential.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Sage

None of them are upgrades on risto and warenski.

But damn. To be able to keep those d men for late round picks (at least that's how I understand it?). I would almost gamble on a 3rd and go heavy forward and 1 goalie with your first 5 rounds...

I'd rank them all really close with your settings. Trouba could be really good in a full season next year but all 3 of Porayko, ghost, and provorov will look nice on your bench with plug in starts as well... Maybe a little more info on what draft pick you give up, if any, should you keep another?

- - - Updated - - -

Also is it daily starts?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hi ZMac

Here is more info:

1) Daily Starts H2H with another owner - Mon to Sun.
    2) All these players are in the general pool. Therefore, I don't give up any draft pick at all. I can pick up - Provorov - Parakyo - Ghost or Trouba. However I would need to drop a current player on my roster. For some reason no one has picked up these D Men.
    3) Draft Picks for next upcoming draft: 1st, 2nd, 3rd (2), 4th (3), 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 13th

I hope this helps. I have also updated my signature...trying to keep it as informative as possible.
    Molson Canadian - Semi Keeper League - 14 Teams

Categories
    FWD/D - Goals (3), Asts(2), PPP(1), Game Winning Goal(1) SOG (.2), Hits (0.3), Blocks (0.3),
    GOALIE - Wins (4), GA (-1), Saves (0.2), SO (2)
    Roster Positions: [B] C, LW, RW, F, F, D, D, D, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR + (For Goalies)

Daily Starts - H 2 H Settings, Weekly Mon to Sun (Yahoo)

Keepers are in BOLD

Forwards - Wheeler (C/RW), Suzuki (C/RW), Huberdeau (LW), Borkstrand (LW/RW), Ehlers (LW,RW), Puljujarvi (RW), E Lindholm
    Burakovsky (LW/RW), Batherson (RW)
    Defence - Drysdale, Makar, Seider, Krug
    Goal - Shesterkin, Petersen
    IR - Byfield (C)

Dobber Sports Sage

Makes more sense on why they are there with only 10 teams, 4 bench spots, and 2 starting d positions and no bonus for d scoring. I bet most teams only carry 2 d men. You'd want 2 goalies for sure and the rest filled with forwards most likely. Although I'd be tempted to keep 3 d for the extra starts on off days. You'd almost want a schedule like Anaheim with your 3rd d (they seem to play a ton of off nights).

It's a tough one but if you can keep them for nothing I see no harm in grabbing any of them at the very end of your season for someone you can't keep.

I wouldn't drop anyone of your goalies or forwards until you are out of it for one though with this set up. Forwards and goalies appear to be king in your setup so Def keep risto and werenski and draft forward heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm forced to pick one today it's probably trouba, Provo, Porayko, ghost... All close though.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Risto is a lock, there's few D out there I would take over him. Is the guy in Buffalo, massive hits and blocks, massive minutes, does everything.

Werenski is young and has already been handed the keys to the Columbus PP. He shoots like a monster too. His hits and blocks aren't great though. Plus you never know if he might have a Ghost sophomore season. Upside is that Columbus has nobody except Jones on D that could challenge him.

As for the guys you could pick up.

- Provorov: Huge upside, also hits/blocks like a beast. If it wasn't for the glut of D Philly already has and has coming up, I'd say take him over Werenski long-term for your stats.
    - Parayko: With Shat gone, his stock went up a lot. That being said, I don't see him being at the same level skill-wise as Werenski/Risto/Provorov etc;
    - Ghost: Nope. Provorov is there, along with a crap load of other young D coming up. Point wise, he might be on par with Provorov, everything else except maybe shots Prov > Ghost
    - Trouba: Could be amazing...if he gets moved from Wpg. That being said, would be a big risk. Ideal landing spot for him would be in Edm...if he did end up there, he could potentially join the elite of the elite company for fantasy D.

Summary: Keep Risto! Werenski is also great but...Prov long-term might be better and Trouba on a new team (especially Edm) could be a top 10 fantasy D asset.