Thread: New Dyanasty League Help

Dobber Sports Novice

Question New Dyanasty League Help

So after years of fantasy hockey on Yahoo, a group of us are making the jump over to Fantrax (love all the settings available) so that we can setup a salary cap league for next season. We are use to playing H2H but want to switch over to a points based league. We would like to make it somewhat realistic to the NHL setup but could use some advice. Here's the setup we are looking at so far...

Full Dynasty - 10 teams (all long time fantasy GMs)
    Roster: 23 man roster 4C, 8W, 6D, 2G - Farm team -27 man roster to equal the 50 contract limit (farm team must be under a specific age or GP not sure yet)
    Salary Cap: Mirroring NHL cap and cap hits
    Scoring Setup: We are wanting to add corsi instead of +- but not sure what value to give it yet.
    Skater Stats
    A = 2
    Blk = 0.5
    FOW = 0.05
    G = 3
    GWG = 1
    Hit = 0.25
    PIM = 0.25
    PPP = 1
    SHP = 2
    SOG = 0.25
    Goalie Stats
    A = 3
    G = 10
    GA = -1
    PIM = 0.25
    SHO = 5
    SV = 0.15
    W = 5

All thoughts, and advice are appreciated as we try to setup a well balanced scoring setup.
    16 Team 7 Keeper H2H League (4C,4LW,4RW,4D,2G)
    Skater Stats: G,A,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT,BLK
    Goalie Stats: W,GA,SV,SHO

C: Steven Stamkos, Nathan MacKinnon, Nolan Patrick, Blake Coleman
    LW: Claude Giroux, Ryan Hartman, Travis Konecny, Leo Komarov
    RW: Nick Foligno, Anthony Duclair, Alex DeBrincat
    D: Karlsson, Kris Letang, Aaron Ekblad, Ivan Provorov
    G: Holtby, Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy
    IR: Zemgus Girgensons, Mathieu Perreault
    NA: Jesse Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: New Dyanasty League Help

With a 10 team league mimicking the NHL cap hits, your player value is going to be so weirdly skewed. I don't like it. You may want to look at a cap around 100Mil, maybe floating 25-35Mil over the NHL cap.
    Not a huge fan of counting PIMs as a big positive either, but to each their own.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

WE use the NHL salary in our cap league and has been working just fine for the past 6 years.

I despise GWG but that is just a personal preference. Intereting to see Goalie goals as one of your categories as they are so very rare.
    Ovie, Backstrom, Granlund(MIN), Wheeler, Zibanejad, Schenn (STL), Wennberg, Pacioretty Atkinson, Miller (NYR), Namestnikov (EDM), Mantha, Werenski, Beaulieu, Theodore, Montour, Forsling, Talbot, Bishop
    Points only, Salary Cap of $75 mil
    2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 League Champ

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the input so far. Just curious what scoring setup you guys like the most.
    16 Team 7 Keeper H2H League (4C,4LW,4RW,4D,2G)
    Skater Stats: G,A,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT,BLK
    Goalie Stats: W,GA,SV,SHO

C: Steven Stamkos, Nathan MacKinnon, Nolan Patrick, Blake Coleman
    LW: Claude Giroux, Ryan Hartman, Travis Konecny, Leo Komarov
    RW: Nick Foligno, Anthony Duclair, Alex DeBrincat
    D: Karlsson, Kris Letang, Aaron Ekblad, Ivan Provorov
    G: Holtby, Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy
    IR: Zemgus Girgensons, Mathieu Perreault
    NA: Jesse Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm in a 12 team league (previously, 10 team) that uses real life salary cap hits and team salaries. I wouldn't do it any other way. I laugh and roll my eyes when I see guys posting about their "salary cap league", where the team salary caps are more than the real life amount; it negates the whole purpose.

We stick with a category-based system, so I don't really know how to advice you in a points-based league. I do feel like saves should be worth a little bit more, though. If you have a goalie who pitches a great game, and stops 27/29 shots, your scoring gives him 2.05 points. A secondary assist is pretty much worth as much (2). Yes, they likely win the game and get 7.05 points, but I still think that you should reward your goalies a little bit more for their individual performance. Again, I haven't done a points based league before, but that's the thing that jumped out to me first; other than rewarding goalie goals, of course

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The league in my Sig is a cap league using the NHL's cap, The only wrinkle is the cap # for each player is determined by draft position. You choose the contract length after the draft and you get a certain amount of 5yr 4yr etc. The market dictates the salaries. I really like the setup so far.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I'm in a 12 team league (previously, 10 team) that uses real life salary cap hits and team salaries. I wouldn't do it any other way. I laugh and roll my eyes when I see guys posting about their "salary cap league", where the team salary caps are more than the real life amount; it negates the whole purpose.

We stick with a category-based system, so I don't really know how to advice you in a points-based league. I do feel like saves should be worth a little bit more, though. If you have a goalie who pitches a great game, and stops 27/29 shots, your scoring gives him 2.05 points. A secondary assist is pretty much worth as much (2). Yes, they likely win the game and get 7.05 points, but I still think that you should reward your goalies a little bit more for their individual performance. Again, I haven't done a points based league before, but that's the thing that jumped out to me first; other than rewarding goalie goals, of course
    I think it depends a lot on your league settings, especially how many players you roster, and how much you want movement to be between teams, or just filling in players as needed from an overloaded free agent market.

As for the question on league setup, I much prefer the H2H multi cat leagues, where you have about 8-10 player categories and 4-5 goalie categories.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post

I dunno, I am in a league with a 25% bump and it works beautifully. Otherwise we'd have stars with bigger contracts just sitting on the waiver wire - you wanna talk about negating the whole purpose of a fantasy league, that's it for me.

The size of your cap "bump" should depend on the size of the league. You don't want Subban or Kane sitting on the WW because they are paid huge dollars, but you also don't want the cap so high that salaries aren't an issue.

And thanks for essentially calling all leagues that aren't yours a joke, Tobias. There's probably enough talent on your WW to create another competitive team - that makes me laugh and roll my eyes personally.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    I dunno, I am in a league with a 25% bump and it works beautifully. Otherwise we'd have stars with bigger contracts just sitting on the waiver wire - you wanna talk about negating the whole purpose of a fantasy league, that's it for me.

The size of your cap "bump" should depend on the size of the league. You don't want Subban or Kane sitting on the WW because they are paid huge dollars, but you also don't want the cap so high that salaries aren't an issue.

And thanks for essentially calling all leagues that aren't yours a joke, Tobias. There's probably enough talent on your WW to create another competitive team - that makes me laugh and roll my eyes personally.
    I totally agree with this. Unless it's a 30 team league, there needs to be a "bump" as you said, otherwise star players will be sitting on the WW which is not good. All good players should be owned even if they're expensive. But then again I don't understand the point of any league with less than 20 teams, so maybe that's making me biased on this topic.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Basically what I was trying to say but Mario said it better

Dobber Sports Pro

Not sure what you think of this, but I feel the value on goalies would be a little high. A goalie with a shutout would get probably around 13-14 points! If you want goalies worth a lot that's fine, but it seems like most of the top point getters in your league would end up being goalies.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6,7
    '25 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd /// ‘26 - 2 Extra 1sts, 2 Extra 2nds
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B -
    M - Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Ace

At what point are you still really a cap league if you have a massive salary bump? If we had team salary caps of $90 million plus, there would be next to no difference than if we didn't have a salary cap at all. That was the point that I was trying to make. Sorry if I offended anyone.

We use cap hits, rather than AAV (e.g., McDavid costs $0.925, rather than $3.775 million), so goes a long ways in making sure that we do not exclude a lot of important players (in response to a post above, both Kane and Subban are on rosters). We could make a team out of the FAs (again, as stated somewhere above), but I would say that they'd probably finish last or second to last. If we didn't put a salary cap on them, then I'd say that they would finish around 8 or 9 out of 13.

I guess, going back to the OP, the take-away from all of this is that there are a lot of league set-ups, and a lot of opinions on what works best. And most guys can make an argument about why their settings are better, etc., which is what makes this forum a great place to come and get ideas. My best advice would be to sit down with your league members, and go over all the possibilities and come up with what seems like the best for you. Strike a balance between getting everyone in the game, versus actually having salary camp implications. And check out the signatures of people in these forums. You might see settings or ideas that you never thought of before.

Best of luck.