Thread: Neuvy and Stolarz make Mason expendable?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Neuvy and Stolarz make Mason expendable?

B2B starts for Neuvy...Stolarz playing well for Lehigh.

Is Neuvy starting to emerge as the number 1? (ok, ok, it's one decent start following a not so clean win).

Mason is an UFA.

Kings need to do something but difficult to make Mason fit in cap.

Does Philly feel comfortable going Neuvy/Stolarz (or maybe they take back any of the third stringers LA is running out there)?

Yes, I own both Neuvy and Mason and need something to break soon.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Re: Neuvy and Stolarz make Mason expendable?

I'm wondering same thing. I didn't want to run with four goalies but my goalie stats are hurting. Neuvy is available on my wire should I be picking him up. I was also thinking of picking Condon instead. Any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Anderson left to be with his wife.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Have you heard any timeframe for how long he'll be gone?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

What I know:

1. As long as Las Vegas doesn't draft Stolarz, he will make one of those guys expendable next season. Per the tool on planmyteam.com, he's available to be drafted. If Stolarz isn't eligible, then one of them will be protected.

2. We could see a situation where neither Mason nor Neuvirth is on the Flyers next year. They are both on expiring contracts and are the same age.

3. Many advanced numbers folks here really like Mason. I think he has more stats that favor him.

What I think is that Neuvirth is the better goalie to have as the planned starter for the Flyers next year from the two choices. There are a few reasons for that.

1. The first (and only truly indisputable) point, is that he's cheaper now by a lot, and is likely to be much cheaper on his next contract.

2. I think that Mason's propensity for soft goals and to lose focus causes problems at times, and I know that's not something you want in a goalie. However, all humans lose focus sometimes.

3. Mason is worse in OT, yes there is some variation based ont he teams they have played for, but it seems to hold true. Based on the numbers I pulled at one point, will re-do those searches, and post them here.

OTW/OTL/DNP in OT (3rd column is games they were in but didn't play in OT)

Mason PHI: 13/29/5
    Mason CBJ: 21/27/1
    Mason TOT: 34/56/6

Neuvirth PHI: 8/4/2
    Neuvirth WAS: 19/13/4
    Neuvirth OTH: 3/4/0
    Neuvirth TOT: 30/21/6

4. Mason seems to be held in higher esteem among experts, so it makes sense that he would fetch more in a trade. However, he is more costly against the cap.

5. Hextall doesn't seem overeager to bring Stolarz up, so it's likely that any deal would involve another goalie coming back in trade.

6. Neuvirth playing both ends of a back-to-back is very interesting, though. I doubt he has done that much while Mason is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by aktndr View Post
    I'm wondering same thing. I didn't want to run with four goalies but my goalie stats are hurting. Neuvy is available on my wire should I be picking him up. I was also thinking of picking Condon instead. Any thoughts?
    I think Condon is a solid add if you have no games played limit, and need starts. He should be decent and play a lot. I sort of expect him to end up in Las Vegas, actually.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Geez...by the sounds of it, across this thread and so many others, Vegas is going to draft upwards of 32 or more goalies.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Geez...by the sounds of it, across this thread and so many others, Vegas is going to draft upwards of 32 or more goalies.
    Ha! I only put that in about Stolarz because it seems like he may be eligible for the draft, and I think he is more likely to be on the Flyers next year than Mason & Neuvirth combined; mainly becuase he gives thema cheap goalie backup who can develop, and he seems ready for a backup job.

Expansion drafts in leagues are really pretty interesting, because they happen rarely, and this one is especially interesting, because it's one team expansion draft, which is not normal.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

The rumors from here (Philadelphia) have consistently been that Hakstol will play the hot hand this season b/t Mason & Neuvirth and that at least one of them will be gone after the season (both are UFA). Flyers will likely re-sign one of them and either bring in a vet backup to give Stolarz more time or use Stolarz as the backup. Flyers now have several other G prospects coming up the ladder (Lyon & Hart) too.

Besides inconsistency, both Mason & Neuvirth are also majorly injury prone. I highly doubt, as long as the Flyers stay in contention, that one of them will be traded. Hextall needs to show continued progress and also is disciplined in his belief that prospects need time to develop outside of the NHL level and will earn their way into consideration like Provorov & Konecny did this season.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

Mason PHI: 13/29/5
    Mason CBJ: 21/27/1
    Mason TOT: 34/56/6

Neuvirth PHI: 8/4/2
    Neuvirth WAS: 19/13/4
    Neuvirth OTH: 3/4/0
    Neuvirth TOT: 30/21/6
    Using these stats you have to read into them a lot more... Neuvirth with a strong team like the Capitals versus Mason with a weak team like Columbus.

Mason should almost get credit for getting Columbus to OT, while Neuvirth should be discredited for letting games get to OT.

AS for the stats with Philly... this is while Neiveurth was the back up and was likely playing against weaker competition...

Anyways... AS for the situation... Neiveurth hasn't been stellar this year... there have been two starts in a row where he let in 4 then three, and was pulled and Mason came in and the Flyers were able to tie the game.

As mentioned above... Hakstol is going to ride the hot hand and each goalie is going to take a share of starts... I expect at the end of the year Mason 60% to Neuvirth 40%.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Pretty much means a nightmare for fantasy owners.... I picked up Condon last night and will ride him till Anderson comes back I think. I would love to trade Mason away and I tried hard at the start of the season but no takers.

Dobber Sports Ace

Yea, his value will not improve until he plays much better (and thus earns more starts) or there is clarity on his future in PHL. Mason normally has streaks where the former could become a reality, but I doubt there will any movement on the latter until late in the season at best.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Initiate

awesome analysis...thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    awesome analysis...thanks.
    I should say thanks to all! some really insightful stuff. Right now I'm stuck with Neuvy and Mason as I can't move either one of them so i haveta hope for one to take off and the other to be shipped to the Kings!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    People are making way too big a deal about the expansion draft thinking every team is going to ditch 10+ players when they only lose one regardless.

Also, imagine actually trying to figure out how to handcuff a 32-headed monster in goal...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust