Thread: 10F / 8D / 2G (Points+)

Default 10F / 8D / 2G (Points+)

Entering two teams tomorrow (one for the mother-in-law and one for myself lol).
    Essentially a points league with G=1 A=1 PPG=.5 PIM=.2 and some shg/otg/gwg for .5 here and there.

I am trying to diversify to increase my chances but I am finding it really hard, I have bolded players who only appear on one of the two teams!

Team 1:
    Benn, Kane, OV, McDavid, Gaudreau,Tavares, Tarasenko, Seguin, Crosby, Perry
    Karlsson, Burns, Letang, OEL, Buff, Subban, Josi, Klingberg
    Holtby, Price

Team 2:
    Benn, Kane, OV, McDavid, Gaudreau, Tavares, Tarasenko, Seguin, Panarin, Wheeler
    Karlsson, Burns, Letang, OEL, Buff, Subban, Carlson, Giordano
    Holtby, Bishop

Some bubble guys I have thought of: Stamkos, Kuznetsov, Giroux, Voracek, Malkin, Pavelski, Forsberg

How would you sort of 'hedge' your bets here if you were able to enter two teams?

Thanks guys!

I...am your father.

Default Re: 10F / 8D / 2G (Points+)

I wouldn't take McDavid in both. Swap out Kane as well in one of them. Letang is also risky. Put Malkin in for McDavid in one. Put Kuz in for Kane in one.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Is this a "mass entry" (>100 entries) pool or "shallow entry" (<20 entries)?
    There are two strategies here.

In shallow-entry, you just want to take the best player and avoid the anomaly that could go wrong - like McDavid injury (as Dobber notes).

In mass-entry, you have to be super creative to win...
    Much like mass "daily fantasy football" or mass "NCAA bracket entry"... you'll never (statistically) win if you pick the typical candidates.
    For example, if 1000 people entered this type of hockey pool last year, some guy that might've included Panarin or Ghostisbehere as a "one-different" type entry, may have won.

But... sorry... no point expanding until more info...

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I wouldn't take McDavid in both. Swap out Kane as well in one of them. Letang is also risky. Put Malkin in for McDavid in one. Put Kuz in for Kane in one.
    Thanks Dobber!

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Is this a "mass entry" (>100 entries) pool or "shallow entry" (<20 entries)?
    There are two strategies here.

In shallow-entry, you just want to take the best player and avoid the anomaly that could go wrong - like McDavid injury (as Dobber notes).

In mass-entry, you have to be super creative to win...
    Much like mass "daily fantasy football" or mass "NCAA bracket entry"... you'll never (statistically) win if you pick the typical candidates.
    For example, if 1000 people entered this type of hockey pool last year, some guy that might've included Panarin or Ghostisbehere as a "one-different" type entry, may have won.

But... sorry... no point expanding until more info...
    There were 38 entries last year!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Ha! In-between.
    Well... I don't have advice for that size.
    Probably still "pick the players", but you'll definitely need one "differing" pick to establish yourself.
    That's gonna be in the 8D group anyways, I think.

Easier to exclude a guy that might get injured... but then it removes you from winning if he is healthy.
    38/38 entries will include Karlsson - say he gets injured in Game1... and your 8th guy is Shattenkirk - who scores 50pts... that's a 50pt edge for you.

Overall - I'd say you'll ENJOY it most if you have make 2-3 different F picks and 2-3 different D picks per pool.
    Any guy that COULD get injured, as Dobber says, have them on only ONE of the TWO teams... that's certainly good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Ha! In-between.
    Well... I don't have advice for that size.
    Probably still "pick the players", but you'll definitely need one "differing" pick to establish yourself.
    That's gonna be in the 8D group anyways, I think.

Easier to exclude a guy that might get injured... but then it removes you from winning if he is healthy.
    38/38 entries will include Karlsson - say he gets injured in Game1... and your 8th guy is Shattenkirk - who scores 50pts... that's a 50pt edge for you.

Overall - I'd say you'll ENJOY it most if you have make 2-3 different F picks and 2-3 different D picks per pool.
    Any guy that COULD get injured, as Dobber says, have them on only ONE of the TWO teams... that's certainly good advice.
    Thanks P7!
    Last year was pretty cut and dry, no off the board picks.
    I screwed up and thought Kane was going to jail lol, took Voracek instead.
    Lost the pool by 40~ points lol, oops!

Teams don't have to be submitted until 12EST tomorrow so I have tonight's games to think still.
    Here is where I am, made a couple changes as per advice in this thread.
    If Crosby plays tonight I might add him to both teams, not sure!

Team 1
    Benn, Kane, OV, McDavid, Crosby, Gaudreau, Tavares, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Seguin
    Karlsson, Burns, Letang, Subban, OEL, Buff, Josi, Klingberg
    Holtby, Price

Team 2
    Benn, Malkin, OV, Stamkos, Panarin, Gaudreau, Tavares, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Kuznetsov
    Karlsson, Burns, Giordano, Subban, OEL, Buff, Carlson, Klingberg
    Holtby, Bishop

Four different forwards and two different defense between my two teams, one different goalie.

I don't want the teams to end up being Tier II and Tier II, I feel like team II is a little less talented but alot depends on health I guess.

Any thoughts/advice?

If I am only using Panarin on one team should I use him on the team that has Kane? Maybe switch Panarin for Seguin?

Do Perry/Getzlaf/Thornton/Pavelski have a place on either team as a top 10F points only????

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    If I am only using Panarin on one team should I use him on the team that has Kane? Maybe switch Panarin for Seguin?
    That would make sense to hedge your bets that way.
    Do Perry/Getzlaf/Thornton/Pavelski have a place on either team as a top 10F points only????
    Thornton and Pavelski might. But not over anyone your have there IMO.
    The Anaheim two no.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    That would make sense to hedge your bets that way.

Thornton and Pavelski might. But not over anyone your have there IMO.
    The Anaheim two no.
    May move Panarin to team 1 in place of Wheeler and gamble on either crosby/seguin/mcdavid on both teams!

Dobber Sports Titan

May move Panarin to team 1 in place of Wheeler and gamble on either crosby/seguin/mcdavid on both teams!
    That makes some good sense too
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)