Thread: Greiss vs. Neuvirth REP!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Greiss vs. Neuvirth REP!

Hi all,

For my team in sig. Having a bit of an issue deciding whether to stick with my originally drafted Neuvirth or if I should snag Greiss off waivers? Goalies are pretty tough to come by in our league, and while I arguably am in the best goaltending situation in the league, I could put a stranglehold in the goalie department with the right 3rd goalie.

So if you were me, who would you rather have - Greiss or Neuvirth? (Reimer, Ward, Hellebuyck are also still around but I think Greiss would be my top choice of the bunch - feel free to disagree!). All opinions welcome, thanks in advance and, as always, REPPPP!
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Greiss vs. Neuvirth REP!

After the way that Halak played at the World Cup... he will likely be the main man in NYI to start the year again... so pending injury I think Halak will get majority of starts.

I think Neuvirth will at times steal the starting job from Mason as it appears Hakstol will ride the hot hand and Mason is also due to miss games here and there because of injury.

Dobber Sports Titan

If I'm reading your signature correctly, you're leaving a skater spot open so that you can have a 3rd goalie on your roster?
    Seems strange to me to want to own a backup goalie on the bench instead of another skater. If you want to own another goalie, then I would trade for a starter, even a lower tier guy like Bob, Varly or Smith. Otherwise I would probably run with the two starters and the full set of skaters.
    Question alone, I go with Neuvirth over Greiss.

Also one last question, is Brown really the best available guy for hits in your league?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Are goalies that tough to come by if all of those guys are available?? If it's a 10 team league and those goalies are available I agree with what EB is saying above.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    If I'm reading your signature correctly, you're leaving a skater spot open so that you can have a 3rd goalie on your roster?
    Seems strange to me to want to own a backup goalie on the bench instead of another skater. If you want to own another goalie, then I would trade for a starter, even a lower tier guy like Bob, Varly or Smith. Otherwise I would probably run with the two starters and the full set of skaters.
    Question alone, I go with Neuvirth over Greiss.

Also one last question, is Brown really the best available guy for hits in your league?
    Yes we've had this league for 4 full seasons now and a third goalie is pretty handy. 1/3 of our stats are goalie related, and while my starters are great, as it's H2H, it's tough sometimes if they get a night off or are injured. Basically I'm trying to see what the best 3rd option would be. Plus, we have WINS and SAVES as stats, so having a third goalie that even plays one extra game a week, maybe two, can set you apart really well.

Also, regarding Brown, since he has lots of HITS and SOG, he's a bit more valuable than someone who just hits (aka Matt Martin or Clutterbuck). For your reference, some possible guys who are HIT heavy and kind of fantasy relevant that are available are Martin, Clutterbuck, Komarov, Abdelkader, Beleskey, Wingels...but that's about it and even some of those guys are a stretch and none of them shoot as much as DB.

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Titan

You know your league best, and I can see where the advantage comes in. Neuvirth to me would be your best bet in that case. Unless you can trade for an actual starter.

Fair enough regarding Brown. I think personally I would go Belesky or Komarov, but if those are the two stats you're targeting, Brown does make sense.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    You know your league best, and I can see where the advantage comes in. Neuvirth to me would be your best bet in that case. Unless you can trade for an actual starter.

Fair enough regarding Brown. I think personally I would go Belesky or Komarov, but if those are the two stats you're targeting, Brown does make sense.
    Yes, Beleskey and Komarov are definitely on my watchlist, but the SOG totals just set DB apart a bit. He's my sub-in while Stone is on the IR, so I may not be able to keep him long anyways haha.

Thanks a lot for your input! I tried giving rep but it is telling me to spread the love more before giving you more rep! I'll try again soon. Appreciate it!

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Giant

As a Greiss owner, I would probably go with Ward here. I think he is the guy in Carolina and should have a better team in front of him this year (Faulk is healthy and the young guns have an extra year under their belts). The Canes were one of the best teams last year allowing minimal SOG from opposing teams but their goalies were not able to convert those into winning opportunities. I think that Ward should have a better year this year and could give you the extra stats you need from a 3rd goalie.

Greiss and Neuvirth will split duties at best and should provide you with good stats WHEN THEY PLAY, but unless Halak or Mason struggle out of the gates or get injured, you may be better off trying your luck with a starter such as Ward.

On a side note, Hellebuyck is really twisting management's arm at the moment and making it hard for them to send him down. Something has to give for him to stay up as the Jets seem to be playing it safe (expansion protection/exposure rule, avoid losing a goalie to waivers, ...). If he gets to stay up by some miracle, he would be the guy I would want.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

The Great One

I prefer Neuvirth but not by a huge deal here... don't think you can go wrong with either based on the information we have to hand. For me though Greiss is only relevant if Halak is injured as he has performed well when he has been fit. Mason is a yo yo so Neuvirth has more of a window of opportunity
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    As a Greiss owner, I would probably go with Ward here. I think he is the guy in Carolina and should have a better team in front of him this year (Faulk is healthy and the young guns have an extra year under their belts). The Canes were one of the best teams last year allowing minimal SOG from opposing teams but their goalies were not able to convert those into winning opportunities. I think that Ward should have a better year this year and could give you the extra stats you need from a 3rd goalie.

Greiss and Neuvirth will split duties at best and should provide you with good stats WHEN THEY PLAY, but unless Halak or Mason struggle out of the gates or get injured, you may be better off trying your luck with a starter such as Ward.

On a side note, Hellebuyck is really twisting management's arm at the moment and making it hard for them to send him down. Something has to give for him to stay up as the Jets seem to be playing it safe (expansion protection/exposure rule, avoid losing a goalie to waivers, ...). If he gets to stay up by some miracle, he would be the guy I would want.
    Great point re: Ward. I am watching him closely as he's really the only starter not drafted in our league at the moment. I personally am not keen on Carolina at all this season, but you're right - he could provide more stats simply due to quantity of starts. Perhaps this is more of a Neuvirth vs Ward discussion at this point...

Also, Hellebuyck is another I'm watching closely. I just think that certain things will have to fall into place for him to get the majoirty of starts. If they do, you're right, I'd want him above all the others, but until then, I'm biding my time (and I thinkt he rest of my league is too haha!).

Thanks for the great advice!

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy