Thread: Faulk/Athanasiou for Hoffman/Maatta

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Faulk/Athanasiou for Hoffman/Maatta

I'm looking for a winger and have been shopping defensemen (i have Karlsson, OEL, Klingberg, Seabrook)

Is Hoffman a reliable 30+ G winger for the next few years? I know Faulk is a 50 pt dman with great peripherals, but Maatta may have similar or close to that potential(Dobber is pretty high on him in the guide). Athanasiou is kind if a wild card (?) - I don't know a lot about him tbh, am I undervaluing him?

G, A, hits, +/-, ATOI - and it's a SIM league so defensive ability and speed/skating ability count too. (I know many are not familiar with sims - think of it like EA NHL video game ratings)

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Faulk/Athanasiou for Hoffman/Maatta

I'd prefer the Hoffman side. I lowered my expectations on Athanasiou after many fans/scouts stated while he is very flashy, his play without the puck is his problem and why he is getting limited ice time.

Dobber Sports Padawan

If you are short on scoring up front and have a surplus of defensemen (as you've said), I'd make the deal to acquire Hoffman. Maatta has the potential to be a decent fantasy contributor if he can find a way to avoid the injury bug.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I'd prefer the Hoffman side. I lowered my expectations on Athanasiou after many fans/scouts stated while he is very flashy, his play without the puck is his problem and why he is getting limited ice time.

Never thought I'd hear you pass up the chance to acquire Athanasiou

really tough one for me - Faulk 45-50, Hoffman 65 and goal heavy, Athanasiou 35-40, Maata around 30

Im not sold on Maata but I am bullish on Hoffman. Not sure how that translates o Sim though?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Genius

I like the deal. I think it's a pretty fair deal and if you need offense and can give up some defense then I like it. Faulk is a solid defender but Hoffman's a good forward and I like Maatta's potential more than Athanasiou's

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by rangerfan2430 View Post
    I like the deal. I think it's a pretty fair deal and if you need offense and can give up some defense then I like it. Faulk is a solid defender but Hoffman's a good forward and I like Maatta's potential more than Athanasiou's
    Yeah I am thinking we are both trading from strengths to fill needs - it's a hockey deal. Sims are like that, think of it like building an actual NHL team - you need scoring of course, but you need to put together a full team with 4 lines and 3 pairings (not just scoring, you need a complete team).

Anyways, I am close to accepting ... but any more feedback is appreciated.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin

The Great One

For whatever it's worth, I think you are over valuing Maatta in your description. I don't expect he'll get anywhere close to the offensive production that you are talking about. 50 points? Dobber lists that as Maatt's upside, which 5 percent of players are supposed to hit. 30 sounds about right to me.

Dobber Sports Stud

I acquired Hoffman this summer and I'm optimistic about his development.
    Imo, he'll surpass 60 with better usage under Guy Boucher (forget the 4th line treatment).
    His underlying numbers were also very sustainable last season.

I like the deal if you feel like you have enough depth on defence.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks for the responses - I did make the deal...

Basically it was my #4/5 defenseman for what is now my #1 LW, so it's a deal I feel makes sense for my team.

I don't think Maatta will be as good as Faulk, but if he's a 35-40 pt guy - with hits and good +/-, he will be very useful for me. I don't even have room for Athanasiou so he didn't factor in too my thinking too much (the other GM initially wanted Faulk and Rantanen).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin