Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: You're favorite sleeper pick ever (ANY SPORT)

The Great One

Default Re: You're favorite sleeper pick ever (ANY SPORT)

Kipper when he landed in Calgary... A more recent one was trading Faksa and pick 46 in 2015 entry draft for Ghost last Summer
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Novice

My last pick in a points only 14 teams 20 rounds draft in 2006-2007 with no goaltenders: Paul Stastny. He went on to have 78 points during his rookie season, good for 29th overall in the league. Now THAT's a sleeper pick that turned well.

Dobber Sports Veteran

MSL in the 23rd round in 2002.

Dobber Sports Superstar

2005 picked up Johnathan Cheechoo in a pre season trade as a throw in on a trade in auction keeper league. He was on a minimal contract. Heard he was going to be on thorntons line - well 56 goals and 93 points later I ran away with the league that year. Best part was the next year I traded him away at the trade deadline. Just goes to show you how good Joe Thornton is / was.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    2005 picked up Johnathan Cheechoo in a pre season trade as a throw in on a trade in auction keeper league. He was on a minimal contract. Heard he was going to be on thorntons line - well 56 goals and 93 points later I ran away with the league that year. Best part was the next year I traded him away at the trade deadline. Just goes to show you how good Joe Thornton is / was.
    ah Cheechoo. Remember that year like it was yesterday. Reminds me of when he signed with St. Louis and in our pts league he was picked last round. I couldn't help but laugh. The guy said the pick with so much confidence like he made the pick of the century lol. Poor guy

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The lying Frenchman View Post
    My last pick in a points only 14 teams 20 rounds draft in 2006-2007 with no goaltenders: Paul Stastny. He went on to have 78 points during his rookie season, good for 29th overall in the league. Now THAT's a sleeper pick that turned well.
    One of my favourite sleepers was Paul Stastny as well. Straight out of college, 78 points, 2nd to Malkin in Calder voting. I can't take all the credit on this one, Dobber had mentioned this guy had serious potential.

Way back in 89-90, I snagged a raw Kevin Stevens in the last round, who went on to score 70 points in 76 games for the Pens. That helped secure the win in that league.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    One of my favourite sleepers was Paul Stastny as well. Straight out of college, 78 points, 2nd to Malkin in Calder voting. I can't take all the credit on this one, Dobber had mentioned this guy had serious potential.

Way back in 89-90, I snagged a raw Kevin Stevens in the last round, who went on to score 70 points in 76 games for the Pens. That helped secure the win in that league.
    wow you guys played fantasy hockey back then? wow thats awesome. i didn't start until 2001 but i was still fairly young.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    Last Summer I drafted Patty Kane #19 overall in a new dynasty league
    Last year no one wanted to touch Kane because of legal issues and so I got to pick him up in Round 7 lol
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Last year no one wanted to touch Kane because of legal issues and so I got to pick him up in Round 7 lol
    I was one of them who thought Kane would have a down year because of distractions and legal issues ect. Lol ....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    One of the best trades I never made! I tried all summer to pedal Kane off - legal trouble, salary cap league, no one wanted him and I would have pretty much given him away. Then I took a "well F*ck all of you" attitude and decided to keep him! I guess I get the last laugh!

Dobber Sports Wizard

I probably could have left him a few rounds too but I was at a spot in the draft no one stood out to pick so thought it was the right time to take the risk.. Wasn't so long after things looked up for him that he would play the season
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Padawan

In 2013, for the inaugural draft for my league in sig, I grabbed Bergeron in round 7, 78th overall. He's been in the top 10 in league scoring every year since.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Expert

Not sure if it's a sleeper but back in his rookie season, someone try to snap Carey Price away from me for Luongo (arguably a top3 fantasy option at the time). Turned it down.

I picked up Jamie Benn on the waiver after his WJC performance. He's still on my team.
    twitter: @hugotwigg