Thread: How to limit owners not paying attention in NON MONEY leagues?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default How to limit owners not paying attention in NON MONEY leagues?

Wondering if you guys have a solution for this.....I'm in a bunch of H2H non money leagues and I find that by mid season, about 1/4 stop paying attention. In a h2h league this really affects thing in huuuuuuuuuuuuge way (well it does in every kind of league but you know what I mean).

Is there anything that can be done to avoid this? Obviously you can't charge them anything because it's a non money league.

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: How to limit owners not paying attention in NON MONEY leagues?

Take Hostages

The Great One

Are you talking about 1 year leagues, or about keeper/dynasty leagues?

If you are talking about 1 year leagues, then I wouldn't hold my breathe trying to solve that problem. That's why I don't ever play those leagues - generally it's pointless (to me).

If you are talking about keeper/partial keeper/dynasty leagues, then you could put a rule in place that links non-activity with draft pick penalties the following year.

Dobber Sports Giant

in our keeper we penalize lotto balls if a certain percentage of games played are not reached.also a certain percentage of each position games played.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Immortal

Single year leagues. Keeper it's easy enough....just depends how big a jerk you wanna be

Dobber Sports Giant

To add what Als and Kevin said in regards to keeper leagues, we reward bottom teams with higher draft spots for finishing tops in non-playoff teams. Sometimes this hurts a ''bad team'' that really needs to finish last in order to get a better draft position but in return it helps create a more competitve league with managers who are involved until the season is over.

If we have managers that stop paying attention midseason, we tend to boot them the following year and replace them with a more active manager.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Single year leagues. Keeper it's easy enough....just depends how big a jerk you wanna be
    sorry posted my response before seeing this.

In 1 year leagues, unless you are the commish, there is not much you can do. If you are the commish though, at the begining of the year, you put a clause in place that states that any idle team for more than 2 weeks without cause (i.e. vacation) should have their roster set optimally* by the commish with the players at hand on the given team (the optimal part can be tricky but you can also go by highest ranked to be safe). If there are too many IRs (i.e. 3 roster spots or more) then you can have the league vote for which players to pickup (use the top 15 ranked players) and have them set permanently to the idle roster.

These are just basic moves that ensure that a given team is still functional even if the owner is not invested in the league anymore.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In 1 year leagues it's what I like to call Draft & Disappear. It's all to common. For a lot of people the draft is the thing, they nay have endless amount of ID's if it's yahoo and max out on leagues to draft and if they like the draft and it's a successful team they may stick around or they just ignore the league.

Try setting up a wait list of people who are genuinely interested in being in a league and if you see inactive teams and they still are after being emailed then replace them with your wait list people if they are still interested.

Dobber Sports Master

if its h2h fantasy points fantrax allows a setup in which you play all teams each week.

for example , a 12 team league you'd be anywhere from 11-0 to 0-11 in any given week .

so to help your situation , if 25% of the teams stop trying halfway through the season then 75% of the rest of the league will beat them every week .

Dobber Sports Master

I don't think you can do much in a one year non-money league. Guys draft their teams kind of willy-nilly, and then give up on them later on. It is the reality of fantasy online. Especially when there is no money involved.

Keeper leagues should have some sort of punitive measures for GMs who are inactive. Lower draft picks, loss of picks, etc. Keeper leagues tend to have money involved and that in itself is usually enough incentive to make them more active.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy