Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is the Olympic coverage sexist?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Is the Olympic coverage sexist?

The Olympics are all about finding out who the best is, and unfortunately men just happen to be better physically suited to most of these events. If we're aiming for equality, then why should a female get the same amount of attention and praise for doing something in 10 seconds that a male just did in 9? That's not equality.

If the people upset about this stuff would think a little more about it, the solution would be not to try to balance the attention given to men and women, but to eliminate sex from it altogether. Males and females competing against each-other. If you say "well that's not fair because _____", then you have your answer as to why the coverage is sexist.

Maybe to make it more fair for short people, the events should be split by height. That way the short people could get a chance to win and get some love and attention, instead of it all going unfairly to the taller people.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

forumname

I've heard that argument before and to be fair, it's actually an intriguing one.

There already is segregation based on size, in sports like boxing and wrestling.

I wonder if the answer is - if there is no realistic chance for someone to compete at the highest levels, then segregate. So, for women, in most sports, the physical differences are too much to make it even remotely possible for men and women to compete together. In a sport like horse jumping, they compete together.

The reason that short people are not segregated in every sport is perhaps because height, while a serious limiting factor, CAN be overcome by the best of the best in most sports. Just a theory. I am sure there are sports where maybe this argument breaks down. I know is basketball there are a few outliers of short players who can compete at the highest level, but I am not sure about volleyball.

Just an idea.

Dobber Sports Guru

This thread reminds me of this video:

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid