Thread: Detroit-Montreal news

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Detroit-Montreal news

Dobber, I would not jump to conclusion too fast with Pacioretty (re.your Oct.1 news). I agree with your \"time played\" theory but in this case, the kid might force the Habs to think about it twice for several reasons:

1. He\'s excellent and already does the job that Latendresse is not doing i.e. combining force and productivity.
    2. With the new hockey era, who needs 6 plumbers on the fourth line. Bégin, Dandenault, Kostopoulos are on the way out, you don\'t need a Laraque for 82 games, etc.
    3. Lapierre needs decent wingers to raise is game.
    4. Mostly, Pacioretty\'s excellent play and early readyness might give Gainey the opportunity to move on a trade for that missing #4 D-man.

I got this feeling that something might happen before the season. Last night\'s press conf from Carbo was... intriging. There is something hidden behind appearances.

Latendresse had a decent game but looking at the way they use him, I\'m not sure they really believe in him.

O\'Byrne had a rough one again but to his defense, he was again used on the left side which is obviously not his forte. Bad pivots, slow coverage, compensating with costly hookings, slow reactions, etc.

This was no help for partner Weber who had his worst game. Nervous and visibily intimidated by the Wings (even with top 5 out, what a hockey machine), he multiplied bad passes, rushed plays, turnaways. Evidently to small and soft to play against the front net brawlers. A clear offensive and PP talent but at this point, his seat is reserved on the plane to Hamilton.

Gorges is still amasing me. Still the most reliable. Neglected at the time of the trade from SJ, he is imposing his efficiency in all the phases. Not a pool producer but keep in mind that he is surely taking a top 6 spot.

Don\'t worry for Price, he\'s ready and ungry.

On Detroit\'s part, Leino was very good, taking advantage of alloted ice time. Everytime this guy is on the ice, something happens which is a very good indicator of talent. Yet, where would he fit in this A1 line up?

Helm a had a great game, he\'s the replacement for Drake... Filpulla was invisible as Franzen... Howard was excellent.

Hard to judge though. When you\'re missing Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Osgood, Hudler, Stuart... not the same

I...am your father.

I own Pacioretty so I sure would love to see an impact this season. But I don\'t want him in Montreal on the fourth line. It could stunt him.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Pro

What happened at the press conference?

That Pacioretti overtook Latendresse in the depth chart doesn\'t yet give him a spot on the team, with Tanguay, Kostitsyn, Higgins and Begin, so you\'re right in that he would get on the roster only if someone is traded. Problem is Begin won\'t net the Habs a top-4 D, and is more suited for a 4th line, even in the new NHL, than Pacioretti or Latendresse. My understanding was Dandenault is penciled in on D with Lapierre centering the 4th line between Begin and Kostopolous, behind Koivu, Lang, Plekanec.

I just don\'t see which of the top-12 forwards they\'d give up in a trade. They just acquired Lang and Tanguay, won\'t move Kovalev, and the Kostitsyn, Higgins, Plekanec and Lapierre are good enough now and big parts of their future plans. Laraque and Kostopolous are now both fan favorites, and with all the issues around his play, not speaking French, and all that, Koivu is still the longtime captain and somehow, after all he\'s been through personally, it\'s hard for me to see Gainey move Koivu in a centennial year of going for it unless he\'s despearate.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Things like when kids were cut; \"some of them will never play in the NHL\". Ok, but why say that now in public? Or what he does say. He\'s always franc and truthful but since a few days, he\'s thinking a lot, picking his words, enigmatic and secretive. Whatever, it\'s a personal feeling.

We are a few to say that we would not be surprised if Latendresse was cut. Could Happen. As for Lapierre. You never know. Gainay-Carbo are looking for a specific blend, favoring a particular level of intensity and involvement, things which those 2 players are inconsistent with.

Look, there are too many players here, they will have to make decisions and some, harder than others.

Dobber, if it works for many teams, why would it be impossible to have a good kid line in Montreal? It\'s like saying to the kid; \"You\'re good, better than others, but your young, go down eat junk food on a 12 hours bus ride\". What do you think he\'s gonna learn in AHL?

Yes, you need a Draper-Maltby to win a cup but ain\'t the game\'s idea is to score more than the others? The buttom line is Montreal need scorers, finishers.

Don\'t forget Carbo uses everyone almost equal. If he keeps a Pacioretty, it will not be to warm the bench.

Dobber Sports Genius

Latendresse is doing NOTHING (like the 2 others seasons) right now. Seriously, don\'t be surprise if Latendresse starts the season in Mtl and goes down after a couple of game for Pacioretty.

Did you see his goal on SO ? WOW !

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The players who are in trouble are Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn.Why not trade Higgins his value is pretty good now.They could go get a 4 d-men.

Buckeroooooooooooooooooooooooos
    Buckerooooos

Dobber Sports Guru

I did not find Pacioretty as impressive as I think everyone else seems to. Pierre Macguire was stressing my loyalty to him with all the love.

I bet Latendresse would have some trade value if they really wanted to keep Max.

Leino\'s shootout goal was awesome.

Filppula\'s thumb is apparently still
    very tender, hence him appearing weak on the puck so much.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Again, people are giving up so easily with these young guys like Latendresse... Does anyone not remember John Leclair? Or have you also all forgotten that Bertuzzi didn\'t pop until his eighth season? Pac is definitely, I think, better than Lats, but we should give him a break: he potted 32 goals in 2 seasons playing 8-9 min a night. That\'s good in my book.

That kid is going to be good, I\'m sure of it. Just be patient.
    Keeper, points-only 15 keepers a year
    Forwards
    Forsberg, J. Hughes, Kyrou, Beniers, Caufield, Suzuki, Lafrenière, Krejci, Keller, Marchment, Roslovic, Gallagher, N. Robertson, Sillinger, Holtz, Wright, Eklund, B. Lambert
    Defensemen
    Girard, Q. Hughes, Sandin, Dahlin, Petry, Hronek, Drysdale, Jiricek, Perunovich
    Goalies
    Saros, Quick, Allen

Banned

Dobber wrote:
    I own Pacioretty so I sure would love to see an impact this season. But I don\'t want him in Montreal on the fourth line. It could stunt him.
    excellent point, I\'m in the same boat Dobber, I own him and have huge expectations but I\'d rather he honed his game for a year or two then got the call up. By that point there will be some veterans retiring or on their way out and he can start out on the 2nd line. Good for the Habs and good for me

Dobber Sports Initiate

Latendresse tore it up in camp two years in a row before making it - he was heralded then as the next Guy Lafleur. These great young players can always elevate their game for 10 or so to make a good impressio - It\'s keeping it up for 80 that they learn in the \'A\'.

Now, Pacioretty is doing the same thing and everyone says throw away Latendresse?

He is not ready, no matter how well he is playing. He needs to season for a year at least in the minors to mature. Then he can step in on the first or second line.
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Dobber Sports Guru

jpguy13 wrote:
    Again, people are giving up so easily with these young guys like Latendresse... Does anyone not remember John Leclair? Or have you also all forgotten that Bertuzzi didn\'t pop until his eighth season? Pac is definitely, I think, better than Lats, but we should give him a break: he potted 32 goals in 2 seasons playing 8-9 min a night. That\'s good in my book.

That kid is going to be good, I\'m sure of it. Just be patient.
    nice post, karma. i don\'t know either of those guys as well as you guys do.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Actually, the Habs can be patient and let all these kids gain a year of exoerience and maturity in the AHL. As it is now, their lineup is competitive as it is and most of the really impressive kids have yet to play a regular game at the professionnal level( Pacioretty, Weber, Subban, Maxwell among others)
    The other fact being that at the end of the season, 9 players will be UFA\'s: Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Bégin, Kostopoulos, Bouillon, Dandenault, Brisebois and Komisarek.

As most of them won\'t be back, this will clear a lot of roster space for 09-10.
    If the Canadiens must keep only one of those it has to be Komisarek. Actually quite a few are seeing him as the next captain of the team.
    Unorthodox KeeperH2H. 8 teams

FROLOV ZETTERBERG ERAT
    FILPULLA ROY BROWN
    CARCILLO GETZLAF STEEN
    WOLSKI OSHIE HORTON
    OKPOSO KOPITAR ZHERDEV
    BURROWS CROSBY STAFFORD
    UMBERGER BERGLUND SETOGUCHI
    NILSSON ANTROPOV SELANNE
    BACKLUND

SPACEK PICARD HUET
    JOVANOVSKI JONES BACKSTROM