Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: [TRADE] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: [TRADE] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Larsson could very well develop into the better real life player but you won't convince me they got proper value. No chance.
    Put me in this camp too...

The optics are terrible. Regardless of what you think you can get out of Larsson, his history in NJ and the fact he spent less than 14 minutes on the PP (Schlemko?!?!? was 10X that) means that NJ wasn't 100% on him being a #1 dman so you should not be paying #1 Dman prices for him.

I think Chiarelli called and Shero smelled the desperation on him like Axe body spray and cheap tequila on a college douchebag. I'm not saying there isn't a chance that this could work out for the Oilers, I just find it unfathomable they could not get more of a return. Let's put it this way, no surprise the Devils traded Larsson, it's been an awkward relationship and NJ wanting to move him makes sense... on the other hand, a serious shock that the Oil traded Hall as he was thought to be one of about 4 untouchables on that roster. Tactically you'd think Chiarelli has a big edge... but the deal doesn't suggest that at all.

Meh, colour me a thrilled Larsson owner!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

The Great One

Or that no one else would have given a better return....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Value is a relative term. If all my friends think my signed Ryan Smyth Oilers jersey is worth $1000 but the best offer I get when I try to sell it is $300, what's is the jersey really worth?

What's proper value for a left winger who is only good at one half of even strength hockey? Taylor Hall is only good in the offensive zone during even strength play. Assuming the Oilers play half their even strength time in the offensive zone (it was actually quite a bit lower than that), Hall was useful for about 8 minutes per game.

Larsson is great in both ends in both even strength and PK situations. That was 22 minutes per game he was helping the Devils last season. After this trade, the Oilers should be improved in about 14 minutes of every game. If Larsson is able to run a PP which we might find out, that number will increase to about 17 minutes per game. Either way, the Oilers are a way better team now then they were before the trade.
    We haven't seen much to say that Larsson is good in the offensive zone, and there's lots of stats that say it's debatable how good he is in his own zone. So well. There's that.

Dobber Sports Deity

The Oilers were never going to get "proper value" in their quest for a right-handed shooting Dman. It just wasn't going to happen. When you are dealing from a position of weakness, you have to bite the bullet and pull the trigger and take your pill. At the end of the day, the Oilers needed defensemen. Is Larsson the puck mover they desperately need; no of course he isn't. But what he does bring is an improvement to the Oilers defensive corps.

It sucks, but it had to be done. In order to get you have to give and the Oilers needed to get better on the blue line. If we look at the picture as a whole, I think they got better on the blue line yesterday. They had too many LW'ers and needed D. They get to save about $1.9M in cap space too and got a 23 year old, experienced Dman locked up for five years at a very reasonable rate.

I doubt it could have got much worse, but I am dubious it could have got much better either. At the end of the day, the Oilers had to do SOMETHING to improve their D. At least Chiarelli is willing to take that chance instead of just sitting back with too many forwards, hoping Nurse and Klefbom can finally take the next step.

Oilers fans have been crying for a bold move for some time now to improve their team. Well, here's hoping the first bold move in years finally pays off and can turn around the misery that Oilers fans have suffered through for years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

C' mon Axe... Your spinning this and making yourself believe it will be alright.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    C' mon Axe... Your spinning this and making yourself believe it will be alright.
    At this point, is there any other choice?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Lol. Gotta stay positive. But damn,,Larsson??

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Ace

Just looking back to last year dougie was traded for 15,45,52. They couldn't have done that? I know that was a year ago and that trade itself is questionable from bostons side. Jones was flipped for RJ (who needed out). Idk. I get what axe is saying that irl it is better than fantasy, but that's beyond a gutsy move by chiarelli. He missed the boat on this one. Hall should've netted at minimum a jones/dougie both of whom I'd value more than larsson

Dobber Sports Deity

The only reason Dougie was even traded was due to the fear of the offer sheet and Boston knew they couldn't afford to match it. If not for that, I doubt Boston would have even considered trading him.

Teams simply don't want to trade their top Dmen. If they trade their best D, they are in the same position as Edmonton finds themselves in. It's just not that easy to acquire one of these guys. I have no doubt that Chiarelli offered Taylor Hall to a lot of these teams for their best Dman and were turned away. I'd find it hard to believe that Chiarelli just went to NJ because he liked Larsson the best and simply offered him Taylor Hall straight up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    Just looking back to last year dougie was traded for 15,45,52. They couldn't have done that? I know that was a year ago and that trade itself is questionable from bostons side. Jones was flipped for RJ (who needed out). Idk. I get what axe is saying that irl it is better than fantasy, but that's beyond a gutsy move by chiarelli. He missed the boat on this one. Hall should've netted at minimum a jones/dougie both of whom I'd value more than larsson
    No actually, Edmonton decided to trade that exact package for uh....Griffin Reinhart....instead. Yikes.....

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree to an extent axe. But IMO, then you don't make the trade. I don't think they're cup contenders this year and they just traded away their face (well now it's the mcdavid show). They needed more value or to stand pat

Dobber Sports Deity

How many years can they "stand pat" and continue to roster too many forwards and not enough Dmen?

They were damned if they do or damned if they don't. At this point, standing pat doesn't seem to be working for the Oilers.

Predators made the only "serious" offer for PK Subban. No surprise, Canucks made one, but it was rejected. Not enough on the table.
    You can find that quote above on Renaud Lavoie's timeline. I'd have a hard time believing Hall isn't a serious offer, which would say the Oilers never offered Hall for Subban.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The only reason Dougie was even traded was due to the fear of the offer sheet and Boston knew they couldn't afford to match it. If not for that, I doubt Boston would have even considered trading him.

Teams simply don't want to trade their top Dmen. If they trade their best D, they are in the same position as Edmonton finds themselves in. It's just not that easy to acquire one of these guys. I have no doubt that Chiarelli offered Taylor Hall to a lot of these teams for their best Dman and were turned away. I'd find it hard to believe that Chiarelli just went to NJ because he liked Larsson the best and simply offered him Taylor Hall straight up for him.
    Axe... quit drinking the koolaide. YOU YOURSELF JUST SAID... "Is Larsson the puck mover they desperately need; no of course he isn't." Then why sell the farm for a guy who is NOT the player they so desperately need? So you're telling me that they STILL DESPERATELY NEED that puck moving D... so who's left to score them that asset? Am I to believe that a follow up trade involving RNH or Eberle or Yak is going to get that for them? Makes no sense. I mean what was the Rush? I find it incredibly hard to believe that had Chiarelli made it known that Hall was on the table, that no one better would have been offered.

Chiarelli lost that Seguin Deal (Boston I believe is still paying for it). I just hope that the Oiler's have enough kinetic energy to move past this without Hall. And what's more... as a Hall owner (and real life Fan)... I hope the Trade FROM Chiarelli's team has the same impact and lights the same spark under Hall that it did for Seguin.

I choose to see this as Hall being set free... now we watch and see.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    No actually, Edmonton decided to trade that exact package for uh....Griffin Reinhart....instead. Yikes.....
    Boston wasn't going to trade with Chiarelli.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Axe... quit drinking the koolaide. YOU YOURSELF JUST SAID... "Is Larsson the puck mover they desperately need; no of course he isn't." Then why sell the farm for a guy who is NOT the player they so desperately need? IF the STILL DESPERATELY NEED that puck moving D... you mean to tell me that RNH or Eberle or Yak is going to get that for them? Makes no sense. I mean what was the Rush? I find it incredibly hard to believe that had Chiarelli made it known that Hall was on the table, that no one better would have been offered.

Chiarelli lost that Seguin Deal (Boston I believe is still paying for it). I just hope that the Oiler's have enough kinetic energy to move past this without Hall. And what's more... as a Hall owner (and real life Fan)... I hope the Trade FROM Chiarelli's team has the same impact and lights the same spark under Hall that it did for Seguin.

I choose to see this as Hall being set free... now we watch and see.

I am not in the room with Chiarelli when hes making these calls so I cant exactly answer why he didn't get a puck moving Dman, but I think it's safe to say that he was making the calls to get one and one simply wasn't meant to be.