Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wings/ Hudler News

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Wings/ Hudler News

I\'ve watched about 80% of the Wings games in the last few years and I\'ve read pretty much every single news article published on Mlive.com (and he catches pretty much every Wings-relevant article). Sure, Filppula pulls of a highlight reel play once in a while. Darren McCarty also had a beautiful goal in the Stanley Cup finals against Philly a decade ago. No one ever tried to make him out to be an 80 point potential guy because of that.

Filppula has hands of stone most of the time. He mishandles the puck in pressure situations often. He hasn\'t got a great shot since he mostly just hits the goalie square in the chest. Just because he got a highlight reel goal or two doesn\'t mean that he\'s got loads of talent. The next time you watch Filppula and Hudler in a game, look at the little things, how their composure with the puck is, etc. Just in the area of offensive position alone, Hudler is miles ahead of Filppula. Filppula skates his ass off, but he doesn\'t go to the best scoring areas most of the time. Hudler pulls off beautiful passes each game. If only Helm and McCarty were more talented finishers, because then Hudler would have at least five more points in last year\'s playoffs.

Believe me, I love the kid and his work ethic and two-way play is almost beyond reproach, but he is not and will never be an offensive wizard. If everything clicks for him in a perfect year, he gets a maximum of 70 points. That\'s the absolute tops for him and that hinges on so many things that it\'s not even funny. As a Wings fan, I\'d be ecstatic if Fils developed into a solid two-way guy who will be a perennial 50-55 point guy.

At the same time Hudler has improved his skating to the point where he isn\'t noticeably slow anymore. His skating and defensive ability have become adequate, but he still has loads of untapped offensive ability that will shine through now that he\'ll hopefully get more icetime with better linemates and not 4th line scrubs.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Sage

So youre saying I shouldn\'t accept Filppula and Dawes for McDonald and Stafford in my keeper league lol ; alright; we have our different views ... not the first time Ive thought otherwise. Nice ramble though. Good points. I hope you\'re right about Hudler (picked him ahead of Filppula...maybe I subconsciously agree with you? hmmm :lol: ). Time will tell (as it usually does).
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

First of all, I\'m not saying that Filppula is a bad player or even a bad fantasy player. He\'s one of those middle of the road guys that are useful in deep leagues. I just don\'t think he should be overhyped with unrealistic expectations. At first glance he has a lot in common with Henrik Zetterberg when it comes to overall style and work ethic. However, he doesn\'t possess nearly as much offensive skill as Hank does. He\'s a semi-grinder who will dazzle you from time to time, but he\'ll never be a bonafide offensive star.

Filppula and Dawes for McDonald and Stafford is an interesting trade. Pretty even IMO, but I\'d give a slight edge to the McDonald Stafford side. McDonald usually doesn\'t get enough credit IMO. He should outscore Filppula most of the years, although he\'ll be a bit more assist heavy. Stafford and Dawes could be a wash. I\'d chalk that one up to what kind of winger you need more, a LW or a RW. With that said, Stafford gives you some healthy PIM as well, which Dawes is light on.
    GO WINGS!

The Great One

ben10rules wrote:
    As a hardcore wings fan; Id like to see Filppula on that 2nd line; hes got just as much potential (if not more) and a more realistical chance to hit that potential (Hudler; has size issue and, as someone has said, needs to work on defensive end of the game)... as a Hudler owner, however, Id like to see the wings give him a chance...

Both of these guys (Filppula especially) have 80 point potential (if givin the proper opportunity).
    I dont want to sound like Im ganging up on you here ben10 but this statement is flat out false. The only reason Filps gets this much exposure in fantasy circles is because Detroit has worked so many miracles with late round picks and project type players. Playoff goal aside I saw about 3 highlight reel plays Filps made last year but that doesn\'t mean hes an offensive terror. I saw some bauty plays from Madden and Pandolfo in Jersey last year too that made me do a double take. Fact is you have to look at their tendencies and patterns in every shift (or almost every). He is a committed and responsible two way player who can put up some points when the opportunity arises.

That to me is the key differences. Hudler makes his own opportunities. The way he battles up the boards, the slick one on one moves, and although he could stand to shoot more he has shown very soft hands in close whne he gets the opportunity. I think far and away Hudler is the better offensive option of the two. Whether he ever gets the chance to prove it on the wings is up for debate but there are some factors in his favor.

One- detroit has a pattern of taking their time with marquis players.

Two- word on the street is that there were a ton of offers for Huds at the deadline and here we are in 08 and hes still in a wings jersey.

I did have both and eneded up dropping filps to keep Hudler. It is my humble opinion that this debate is going to sound cdownright comical in 2-3 years time...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sentium is definitely right with all of his comments in this thread.

Filpulla is a great 2 way player but he doesn\'t have anywhere near the offensive upside of Hudler. Flipper is lacking in hands, instincts and shot compared to Hudler. Yes he is faster and probably stronger but his lack of vision and creativity will see that he never reaches the 70 point mark IMO. As a HUGE wings fan I love Flip but his upside is just not as high as Hudler. With more solid complimentary forwards in the lineup now Babcock can finally keep Hank and Pavel apart for a full season and use Hudler in the role he was made for.

If you don\'t believe me just go over to the Wings board on HF and read what some of the more senior posters there have to say. This debate has been done to great extent there and most people say they prefer Flip as the player but acknowledge that Hudler has the potential to put up the truly great offensive seasons.

Dobber Sports Ace

Great thread for a Hudler owner. Thanks for your perspective guys ! Nice read.
    My keeper squad on this 10 team, no positional requirement league (except 1 goalie and 1 NHL team). Points only: Parise, Kopitar, Hemsky, Brunette, J Staal, Okposo, Doan, Roy, O.Jokinen, Giroux, Krejci, Oshie, Eberle, Little, Filpulla, Steen, Filatov, Hudler, H.Lundqvist, + NHL Team LA.

Dobber Sports Sage

Alright guys! Alright! I give! I give! :lol:... either way; I have Hudler and this thread is very good for me!

Again, I must be thinking the same thing subconsciously because I seemed to have picked Hudler before Filppula! :lol:

Thanks for all your thoughts guys!

BEn
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Sage

Great thread. I give the edge to sentium...no offense ben.

Emu, hook me up with Hudler....sent you an offer you cant refuse...or maybe just an offer. :dry:
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Stop wasting time. You\'re all right and you are arguing for pennies. They are both equally viewed as future impact players for the Wings. They are obviously testing lines, as any time does during camps. Both of them will provide decent figures soon.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Here\'s another link for all of you who can\'t seem to buy that Hudler will play with Hank and Mule, at least to start the season:

MLive

Here\'s a quote:
    It\'s a great video which allows the on-ice product to tell the story, and while we\'re talking about intra-squad scrimmages, not NHL games, the chemistry between Marian Hossa and his linemates, Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom, is scary good, as is the cohesion between Jiri Hudler, Henrik Zetterberg, and Johan Franzen, which looks to be a more \"meat and potatoes\" line with a physical bite.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Guru

boy, hossa in the detroit red and white looks downright evil for some reason to me...

sentium, you made a very persuasive argument. i will watch these two much closer this year... although i am still on the filppula side for now.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Sure has us Hudler owners looking for a breakout season here now.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Star

Hmmmm ... things are starting to maake sense now. We did our new keeper league draft on Sunday and I\'ve already had three GMs trying to nab Hudler from me. Perhaps I\'ll just hang onto him for a little bit.... B)
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Genius

Great Job Sentium. Just read this right now and I am glad I got Hudler.

On a side note, what you guys think about a deal for MY Hemsky/Hudler for Iggy.
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Sage

I\'d do that in a second, and i like hemsky and hudler....Iggy is the best RW in the game!!!!!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson