Thread: Value-Based RBs

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Value-Based RBs

STD scoring format, how would you guys rank the following list of RBs [if, God forbid, I have to lean somewhere in this group for depth]?

T.J. Yeldon [is this kid for real...and even so, will he make a dent behind a pretty bad O-line]
    J. Randle [love the O-line, am seriously thinking "time/share"]
    A. Ellington [average back with a injury history longer than...you fill in the blank]
    A. Abdullah [the hype train is in full gear, but I'm worried Bell is still going to see the lion's share of TD carries]
    L. Blount [mediocre yardage, but solid TD machine on a pretty methodical, chain-moving offense]
    C. J. Spiller [dynamic, versatile back...kind of a boom or bust selection]
    C. Ivory [this guy gets no love as he's average, but someone has to run in NY and their O-line is quite solid and Fitzpatrick will keep defenses honest by throwing]
    T. Gurley [have no idea where to rank this kid...ridiculous talent I hear, but won't start the team...STL has arguably the single worst O-line in the NFL]

Curious on your opinions and rankings.

I'm leaning towards...

Blount...safest, most dependable pick
    Yeldon...I think Mariota's legs keep defenses honest
    Abdullah...hard not to like the upside here
    Ivory...I think his value is sneaky good this year
    Spiller...risk/reward
    Gurley...risk/reward
    Randle...I want no part of this time-share
    Ellington...I simply think this guy is over-rated, won't play half the season, and isn't great at moving piles near the goal-line
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Value-Based RBs

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    STD scoring format, how would you guys rank the following list of RBs [if, God forbid, I have to lean somewhere in this group for depth]?

Spiller...risk/reward
    Gurley...risk/reward
    Ellington...I simply think this guy is over-rated, won't play half the season, and isn't great at moving piles near the goal-line
    FYI Mariota will not help Yeldon as Yeldon is a Jaguar. ... Maybe you were thinking Sankey? But I think your analysis is good. I think Yeldon will still have a good year. I would rank them....

Yeldon
    Abdullah
    Blount
    Ellington - and hope he doesn't get hurt
    Ivory
    Gurley
    Spiller
    Randle

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    FYI Mariota will not help Yeldon as Yeldon is a Jaguar...
    Of course...Freudian slip...oops. Thanks for the respectful correction and for your $0.02. I'd hit you up for more rep, but this forum isn't as active as the hockey one is and it tells me I have to "spread more around" first. Sorry...
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Deity

Is this for a keeper league or a one year setup?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Good question. Also it is important to note that OP is asking for value-based RBs, as opposed the best choices generally for a given format. For example. Gurely is a must own in dynasty formats but he's not a value pick. That would be Yeldon.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sorry, should have clarified...NO keepers...just a straight 1-year league.

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Good question. Also it is important to note that OP is asking for value-based RBs, as opposed the best choices generally for a given format. For example. Gurely is a must own in dynasty formats but he's not a value pick. That would be Yeldon.
    I guess I'm trying to ask which of these RB 3s have upside into the RB 2 range? Which have the highest ceiling? Which will be most dependable week to week? Weighing all that, how do you like/rate them?

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ranked in order:

Randle - I can't see McF having as big an impact as people think. By week 4 this is Randle's job as a clear #1, and will be ROS. Love love love the value in his ADP and am a strong believer this year.
    Spiller - perfect offense for him. Will get all the screens to space where he makes his impact, I'm big on him as well.
    Yeldon - someone needs to do it
    Blount
    Abdullah
    Ellington
    Ivory
    Gurley - keeper he'd be at the top, in a 1-yr no impact.
    12-man salary cap roto keeper league, 25 roster spots & 8 farm (12 F, 6D, 2G active - max 82GP/spot) - 83M cap, real AAV - G/A/P/PPP/SOGs/Hits/PIM W/GAA/SO
    F: Giroux, Little, Steen, Downie, Perron, Hudler, Bouma, Rinaldo, BSchenn, MKarlsson, Nelson, Spooner, Pastrnak, Bjorkstrand, Panarin
    D: Markov, Sekera, Klingberg, Boychuk, Brodie, Karlsson, Reilly
    G: Miller, Howard, Mrazek
    Farm: Petan, Hellebuyck, Goldobin, Werenski, Beauvillier, DeBrusk, Rychel, Kyle Connor

Dobber Sports Deity

My list would look like this for a one-year league:

Ellington
    Yeldon
    Spiller
    Randle
    Ivory
    Abdullah
    Blount
    Gurley
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

In a one-year nonkeeper league:

Ivory...do not underestimate this guy. The receiving core in Jets land will keep D's a little honest...he has the frame and work ethic to be a three down horse. Also adept in the passing game and Chan Gailey is the OC in NY...Gailey knows how to feed his RBs the ball (see Spiller and Jackson in Buffalo)
    Spiller...it may not be PPR but he is going to see plenty of action in the Saints backfield especially in the screen game...he is far more explosive than Ingram...injury flag though
    Ellington...will be decent when he plays...and then he'll get injured
    Yeldon...nothing in JAX is going to take away his 3-down role
    Blount...only reason I have him this low is NE is a never ending carousel on offense, you never know who is going to be the primary guy from one week to the next
    Abdullah...should get the reigns in DET but Bell will still be the bellcow to start the season
    Randle...Dallas with a great O-line, but randle isn't Murray...Dallas will likely be very pass happy this season
    Gurley...coming off the ACL will be tough, we don't know if he has Peterson healing abilities...would be a great late round grab but don't reach

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post

T.J. Yeldon [is this kid for real...and even so, will he make a dent behind a pretty bad O-line]
    J. Randle [love the O-line, am seriously thinking "time/share"]
    A. Ellington [average back with a injury history longer than...you fill in the blank]
    A. Abdullah [the hype train is in full gear, but I'm worried Bell is still going to see the lion's share of TD carries]
    L. Blount [mediocre yardage, but solid TD machine on a pretty methodical, chain-moving offense]
    C. J. Spiller [dynamic, versatile back...kind of a boom or bust selection]
    C. Ivory [this guy gets no love as he's average, but someone has to run in NY and their O-line is quite solid and Fitzpatrick will keep defenses honest by throwing]
    T. Gurley [have no idea where to rank this kid...ridiculous talent I hear, but won't start the team...STL has arguably the single worst O-line in the NFL]

Curious on your opinions and rankings.

I'm leaning towards...

Spiller...risk/reward
    Gurley...risk/reward
    They could all give your RB2 or even RB1 value.

For me, the safest pick is Ivory, both because he is being drafted, I think, towards the end of this group, and because he looks to be the clear lead back in NYJ. Blount is a little riskier because Belicheck has been known to vary his game plans week to week. I would say Yeldon is next because, again, looks to have an edge up on lead back duties (even if it is for the Jags). If you are drafting a RB3 to maybe lean on, these seem the safest picks.

If you want an RB3 would could jump to RB1 status, I would go Abdullah, Ellington (but you would be best handcuffing), Spiller, and Randle. Lots of talent and opportunity, but questions about usage and competition for all four and health for Ellington and Spiller. But if they stay healthy and get the bulk of their respective work, they will be great values.

Gurley, by all reports, might be the best back, but there seems to be a lot of talk of "easing in", so he might not be any use to you for the fist few weeks of the season. But, he could be an impact player by season's end.