Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sell high on Price?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Sell high on Price?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

I would want to retain Price and shop Lundqvist myself. I doubt you would get the same return for Lundqvist because of his age and salary, but I would want to retain Price and unless something came my way that I simply couldn't refuse for him, he would not be going anywhere on my roster.
    Thanks everyone for the insight. Based on this, I have offered up the King. Thinking of bundling him (and possibly M Jones), Wideman and a couple young forwards (Hoffman? Zucker? Spooner?) to try and get Taylor Hall, Josi and Dubby. Is that a reasonable return? Hard to tell and all feedback is appreciated!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

That's a monster return for Lundy haha. Probably not enough.. but if he takes it then you would have destroyed the other GM haha
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Novice

OK, so I offered King, Jones, Wideman, Hoffman and Jaskin for Dubby, Josi, Hall, and Stepan. I expect a counter offer later this evening, as that is asking a lot, but he came knocking as soon as I put the King on the block...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by cgrowette View Post
    Thanks everyone for the insight. Based on this, I have offered up the King. Thinking of bundling him (and possibly M Jones), Wideman and a couple young forwards (Hoffman? Zucker? Spooner?) to try and get Taylor Hall, Josi and Dubby. Is that a reasonable return? Hard to tell and all feedback is appreciated!
    It's too hard to gauge offers without having a full understanding of your roster, teams in the league etc.

Hall and Josi are excellent pieces. Dubby is a very interesting own for hits, pims, and really wonderful if he has winger eligibility and you count FOWs, but is new contract is a little pricey.

Dobber Sports Novice

Sorry, I meant Dubnyk, not Dubinski. Should have clarified that...
    As far as gauging the trade, I'm asking for a broad view...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Nobody is untradeable. If you get an blow away offer, of course sell high. If not, try and trade Lundy. But yea, this was probably a career year for Price. He's awesome but I wouldn't be expecting a repeat.
    I'm confused by this. Outside of Price, Montreal was not very good this year. I guess if you expect them to be worse, Price will struggle to repeat, but I have no trouble believing that Price can repeat the season he just had more than one more time in the next five years. In a dynasty league, you can do a 2 for 1 deal that satisfies both parties, but in a limited keeper, talent is king. Is there any one player in a dynasty league that I would take over Carey Price right now? I know some would take McDavid, but the guy hasn't played a single NHL game yet and I can get forwards who will very likely match or beat his production, at least for the next three years. Crosby? Ovechkin? Stamkos? Malkin? Tavares? Benn? Seguin? Maybe. Price would be my top pick...I don't even like the Habs, plus I'm an Oiler fan and I still take Price!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

I like goalies. If you already have Price AND Lundqvist you could not be sitting prettier. Why the rush to trade one? Without knowing much more about your team and your league this is a somewhat uninformed opinion but I would hold for the summer and re-evaluate once the season gets started.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I'm confused by this. Outside of Price, Montreal was not very good this year. I guess if you expect them to be worse, Price will struggle to repeat, but I have no trouble believing that Price can repeat the season he just had more than one more time in the next five years. In a dynasty league, you can do a 2 for 1 deal that satisfies both parties, but in a limited keeper, talent is king. Is there any one player in a dynasty league that I would take over Carey Price right now? I know some would take McDavid, but the guy hasn't played a single NHL game yet and I can get forwards who will very likely match or beat his production, at least for the next three years. Crosby? Ovechkin? Stamkos? Malkin? Tavares? Benn? Seguin? Maybe. Price would be my top pick...I don't even like the Habs, plus I'm an Oiler fan and I still take Price!
    A goalie should never be the number one player on any league. They are mostly team driven. If the hand even falter slightly his numbers go down and wins go down. If price was on a much better team than maybe I sau differently

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would deal King Henrik before Price, and I bet someone will pay a pretty penny for him.
    10 Team, Weekly H2H (Set Daily), 31-Player, No Cap, Dynasty League

Categories: G, A, +/-, Hits, PPP, ATOI, SOG, W, S%, GAA

F: Crosby,
    Seguin, Kessel, Malkin, Tarasenko, Laine, Hall, Pacioretty, Panarin, Gaudreau, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Eichel, Monahan, Krejci, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Drouin, S. Reinhart, Radulov

D: Karlsson, Hedman, Shattenkirk,
    Barrie, Hamilton, Gostisbehere, Vatanen

G: Rask, Fleury, Dubnyk, Schneider

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would hold onto Price/Lundy and ride the championship train, choo choo! If your moving anyone look at selling high on Martin Jones hype, I'm not sold there and he seems to be getting big offers in some of my leagues.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I like goalies. If you already have Price AND Lundqvist you could not be sitting prettier. Why the rush to trade one? Without knowing much more about your team and your league this is a somewhat uninformed opinion but I would hold for the summer and re-evaluate once the season gets started.
    Understood. Not a bad idea. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

roger that. Jones is on the block.

Dobber Sports Novice

The thing about goalies is, they give you a false sense of security, and then they choke when you need them most. Hence the notion to sell high.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd sell him only very high, i.e. for a goalie like Rask, Rinne or Holtby AND an elite forward. But nothing less.

Try to trade Lundqvist instead if you really need to trade a goalie. However, I neither trust Talbot nor Jones yet... If you trade one star goalie and the others gets hurt (like Lundqvist last year) you might be screwed. I always prefer to have two great goalies on a dynasty team, not just one.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Irriducibile11 View Post
    I'd sell him only very high, i.e. for a goalie like Rask, Rinne or Holtby AND an elite forward. But nothing less.

Try to trade Lundqvist instead if you really need to trade a goalie. However, I neither trust Talbot nor Jones yet... If you trade one star goalie and the others gets hurt (like Lundqvist last year) you might be screwed. I always prefer to have two great goalies on a dynasty team, not just one.
    That's a valid point. So supposing I deal Talbot or Jones instead, what would be considered a reasonable return? Both have the upside to match their uncertainty, but at least they are cheap...

Dobber Sports Padawan

I got no problem with the idea of Price continuing to be the best goalie in the league, or at least in that conversation, so that's what you'd be giving up. That said, I don't expect him to post sub-2.00 GAAs and sv% over .930 every year going forward. Even just staying healthy for long enough to challenge this year's record is going to be an issue.

Depending on how the scoring for your league is weighted, selling high could be an idea, it's just impossible to know without that info, and yes, moving Lundqvist is a better idea if you can swing it.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko