Thread: Leftover players vs 2015 draft class

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Leftover players vs 2015 draft class

My draft is coming up soon and i have picks 6, and 16 as my early selections
    Its for league 1 in my sig

I'm assuming the top 4 will go Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, Dylan Strome, and Mitch Marner so we'll leave these guys out of the discussion.

so my question would be how would you rank these players with eachother?
    I've included the most notable non keepers in our league with the rest of the top 2015 draft class.

Mathew Barzal
    Pavel Zacha
    Noah Hanifin
    Lawson Crouse
    Zach Werenski
    Mikko Rantanen
    Ivan Provorov

Stalock, Alex
    Duclair, Anthony
    Kapanen, Kasperi
    Bjorkstrand, Oliver
    Lowry, Adam (good for hits and faceoffs)
    Hoffman, Mike
    Fucale, Zachary
    Nesterov, Nikita
    Dvorak, Christian
    Dickinson, Jason

many thanks
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Leftover players vs 2015 draft class

I wouldn't draft any of those older non-keepers with the first 16 picks. The top-20 is deep this year, and those older prospects aren't game-changers. After the fist 20-22 players from 2015 class, I would start looking at Duclair, Bjorkstrand and Dickinson.

Banned

Not even a mike Hoffman fan but I'd easily take him over Werenski crouse and Provorov at least. He's the most proven player out of all these guys and is in the NHL. I would also take Lowry over the men probably. I would take duclair and bork strand over the d men as well

The Great One

No love for Kapanen? I like him on the second list- but not sure where he ranks overall out of those players...

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't know... in terms of upside and time-frame to hit...

I'd put Kapanen, Bjorkstrand, Hoffman and Duclair ahead of Crouse and Werenski at the very least. We're talking about players that are scheduled for a top 6 role at some point this year (Duclair is a question mark) and are shot heavy, goal scorers here.

Stalock and Dvorak could be up there too...
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    I don't know... in terms of upside and time-frame to hit...

I'd put Kapanen, Bjorkstrand, Hoffman and Duclair ahead of Crouse and Werenski at the very least. We're talking about players that are scheduled for a top 6 role at some point this year (Duclair is a question mark) and are shot heavy, goal scorers here.

Stalock and Dvorak could be up there too...
    Kapanen and Bjorkstrand will play in the AHL. I don't see either one playing more than a game or two in the NHL. In 2016-2017, maybe. But then those 2015 draftees can just as easily play in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Kapanen and Bjorkstrand will play in the AHL. I don't see either one playing more than a game or two in the NHL. In 2016-2017, maybe. But then those 2015 draftees can just as easily play in the NHL.
    You might be right but Crouse's upside doesn't come close to any of the above mentioned players, IMHO.
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    You might be right but Crouse's upside doesn't come close to any of the above mentioned players, IMHO.
    Crouse's upside may only be 65 points but I don't see Kapanen or Bjorkstrand having much more upside either. Maybe 70 points if everything goes perfectly but that's it. Crouse's NHL certainty is way higher because of his strong two-way game and size.

I'm not a big fan of Crouse but even still I think he's worth more than Kapanen or Bjorkstrand.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for your input guys.. much appreciated.
    I'm not too familiar with player like Bjorkstrand, Dickinson or Dvorak so all your suggestions are a big help

i have the list broken up into tiers at least now.. am i on the right track with this?

TIER 1: Barzal, Zacha, Hanifin, Rantanen
    TIER 2: Kapanen, Bjorkstrand, Hoffman, Dulcair, Lowry(simply because he's already producing Hits and FW with a low cap hit)
    TIER 3: Crouse, Provorov, Stalock, Dvorak, Dickinson, Werenski, Nesterov, Fucale
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Brosive View Post
    i have the list broken up into tiers at least now.. am i on the right track with this?

TIER 2: Kapanen, Bjorkstrand, Hoffman, Dulcair, Lowry(simply because he's already producing Hits and FW with a low cap hit)
    TIER 3: Crouse, Provorov, Stalock, Dvorak, Dickinson, Werenski, Nesterov, Fucale
    I would have the tiers like this:

Tier 1: Barzal, Zacha, Rantanen
    Tier 2: Crouse, Meier, Hanifin, Provorov, Connor, Svechnikov, Guryanov, Werenski
    Tier 3: Merkley, Sprong, Eriksson Ek, Konecny, Boeser
    Tier 4: Dickinson, Duclair, Bjorkstrand
    Tier 5: Kapanen, Dvorak, Lowry, Hoffman, Fucale
    Tier 6: Stalock, Nesterov

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Brosive View Post
    Thanks for your input guys.. much appreciated.
    I'm not too familiar with player like Bjorkstrand, Dickinson or Dvorak so all your suggestions are a big help

Tough to put them in tiers like this as there isn't much separating one tier from the other... but I'd probably go:

TIER 2: Provorov (could be in TIER 1), Kapanen, Bjorkstrand, Hoffman, Duclair
    TIER 3: Crouse, Lowry, Dvorak, Werenski
    TIER 4: Stalock, Dickinson, Nesterov, Fucale

A lot of factors to consider that can effect their upside... A guy like Crouse could very easily be destined to become your average third line winger that doesn't put up more than 20 and 20 or end up on a line with an elite centre and turn into the next Ladd/Lucic and become a 30 and 30 power forward... but heading into the draft this is how I'd rank them. The top two tiers are your big fantasy names with higher chances to hit their big upsides ... Dvorak and Werenski could earn a place up there as well (but for the sake of balancing it out...).
    RW
    D
    G

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I would have the tiers like this:

Tier 1: Barzal, Zacha, Rantanen
    Tier 2: Crouse, Meier, Hanifin, Provorov, Connor, Svechnikov, Guryanov, Werenski
    Tier 3: Merkley, Sprong, Eriksson Ek, Konecny, Boeser
    Tier 4: Dickinson, Duclair, Bjorkstrand
    Tier 5: Kapanen, Dvorak, Lowry, Hoffman, Fucale
    Tier 6: Stalock, Nesterov
    how is Hoffman in tier five? None of these other guys have done anything. he should be in tier two, three at worst.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    how is Hoffman in tier five? None of these other guys have done anything. he should be in tier two, three at worst.
    I just feel like he will come crashing down and end up on the 3rd line where he was always destined to anyways. Not really a fan of his upside, so I wouldn't trade anyone from higher tiers to get him.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I agree; not a fan of him either but he has done well up until now. I don't see him rising much more, but he is good for 45-55 points if he can stay in the top 6.

I see him as the top dog in tier 3
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay