Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anaheim didn\'t match

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re:Anaheim didn\'t match

Lowe isn\'t inflating saleries. NHL players are only entitled to 55% of league revenues(way too much)so all Lowe is doing is offering Penner (and those comparable to him) a larger share of the pie.
    I also believe the draft picks Lowe is giving up will not be that great. That bad team at the end of the year was missing Hemsky, Stoll, Moreau, Staios and numerous others for the Lions share of the losing streak. With those guys they were in the playoff hunt for most of the year. With all of the new additions(especially a capable back-up goalie) it should propel the Oil to another year of mediocrity.
    My last and most important point is that for the oilers this is basically like trading Penner for Stortini. Even if he only scores 15 goals that is 14 more than Zach would get.

Hats off to Lowe
    At least 1 GM had the guts to open Pandoras Box

Dobber Sports Novice

Lowe isn\'t inflating saleries. NHL players are only entitled to 55% of league revenues(way too much)so all Lowe is doing is offering Penner (and those comparable to him) a larger share of the pie.
    I also believe the draft picks Lowe is giving up will not be that great. That bad team at the end of the year was missing Hemsky, Stoll, Moreau, Staios and numerous others for the Lions share of the losing streak. With those guys they were in the playoff hunt for most of the year. With all of the new additions(especially a capable back-up goalie) it should propel the Oil to another year of mediocrity.
    My last and most important point is that for the oilers this is basically like trading Penner for Stortini. Even if he only scores 15 goals that is 14 more than Zach would get.

Hats off to Lowe
    At least 1 GM had the guts to open Pandoras Box

Dobber Sports Expert

fzusher wrote:

Option 2 - a blockbuster for a top line sniper moving Kunitz to the second line (lowering his minutes would also lower his production on a contract year). A package of Bryzgalov, Perry (who\'ll command a significant raise next year), the Oilers\' 1st rounder and maybe the 3rd rounder could be offered, with a planned second line of Kunitz-Getzlaf-Bobby Ryan. Think that\'d be enough to pry Rick Nash out of Columbus? [of course, he could also try and reunite Naslund with Bertuzzi. Nah ... ]

just a bunch of \'what would i try to do\' speculations.
    i find it extremely hard to believe that burke would part with perry after having lost penner.

Dobber Sports Expert

hockeywidowmaker wrote:
    i think what people are trying to say is that Lowe is inflating the salaries of players with stats like Penner. Which in turn inflates the salaries of those above him.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

hockeylifer wrote:
    Penner on left wing, Hemsky on right wing, who is the centre?
    Horcoff. :unsure: :sick:
    GWNHL Fantasy Cup Champs 06-07

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

agreed gdon, Horcoff centers the new line.. The HPH line..

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky

Columbus should be the only team that finishes behind these dreadful oilers this season. Chicago will even sneak in above of them.
    Z..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

Jersey Girl wrote:
    How can people applaud Burke for not matching the 4 mill per year when he signed that BUM Bertuzzi for the same amount?

Is Bertuzzi worth more then Penner?

I think NOT.

So please people, the overpayment isnt Penner, it is Bertuzzi

JG
    I think Burke doesn\'t get critized that much for the Bertuzzi signing because at least he\'s paying $4 million based on Bert\'s past performance and the fact that he has proven he can put up solid numbers at the NHL level (GP 725 G 226 PTS 540).

Penner hasn\'t proven anything yet. He\'s basically still a rookie (GP 101 G 33 PTS 52). Kevin Lowe is paying him a ridiculous amount of money on potential alone.
    Team 1
    C: Kuznetsov
    LW: Ovechkin, Hall, Gaudreau, Huberdeau
    RW: Perry, Voracek, Nyquist
    D: Hedman,
    G: Schneider, Hellebuyck*
    Prospects: Lazar, Mantha, Bjorkstrand, Gillies, P.L. Dubois, Konency
    * Prospect Bonus

Team 2
    C: Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Coyle
    LW: Saad, Lucic, van Reimsdyk, Kuznetsov
    RW: Ovechkin, Connolly
    D: Byfuglein, Krug, Green, Lindholm, Savard
    G: Price, Varlamov, Anderson, Bernier, Pickard
    Prospects: Nurse, Milano, Hellebuyck, Jarry, Gillies, Chychrun

Dobber Sports Apprentice

i agree that Lowe is paying way to much money but what people don\'t seem to get is that HE HAD NO CHOICE in the matter. if he offers 2 mill per Burke matches, if he offers slightly more lets say 3 mill Burke matches, if he goes completely loco and offers 4 mill burke calls him names and everyone says he\'s nuts, bottom line tho, he gets his player wether he\'s worth it or not. that is the whole point of putting the offer on the table, to get your player. no point in half assing it or leaving it open to be matched.

as for Bert, the guy is a hit away from being back on the shelf. he missed almost the entire season with a herniated disc. back problems can be a real nasty injury, especially when your out for that length of time with one. if he was still ripping up the league when he went down then maybe you could say he was still possibly worth the money but he hasn\'t. he has been on a downward spiral for quite some time. this deal is worse than penner, at least he has some upside to him. bert doesnt. sure i hope he gets it back together, watched him play in van for years and he was great to see play but do i think he\'s worth 4 mill a year at this point in his career, not bloody likely.

on another note, if burke knew he wasnt gonna match and they really wanted to keep salaries down why didnt he call lowe and offer to make a deal instead of waiting to the last minute to say nope not gonna match. is it cause he\'s a mean ass prick who doesn\'t like to get pushed around(don\'t get me wrong i still love the guy), your dam right it is. if he was doing the pushing it wud be all good but someone stood up to the bully and bullies don\'t usually like that. just my opinion on the matter.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Ace

I think it was a little too late to call and make a deal after an offer sheet is allready signed...back to the future is just an 8o\'s movie,not reality.
    God bless us,everyone of us!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

if i do recall there was a similar situation some years back where a player had signed an offer sheet and instead of the GM taking the draft picks players were moved as compensation. back to the future may be a movie but deals can still be made in todays world instead of whining and bitching and throwing a temper tantrum.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Stud

Burke has (for the second time in a year) demonstrated that sometimes the best move is not to pull the trigger.

First he refuses to sacrifice young talent for a rental player at the deadline, and wins the Cup. Now he potentially gets a top-3 draft pick (plus the 2nd and 3rd rounders) in return for a player who, while talented, would put him into nervous territory when it comes to resigning Getzlaf and Perry.

It\'ll be interesting to see if other GM\'s follow his lead.

Post edited by: Thieving Giraffe, at: 2007/08/08 22:58
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Ace

87Flyer wrote:
    if i do recall there was a similar situation some years back where a player had signed an offer sheet and instead of the GM taking the draft picks players were moved as compensation. back to the future may be a movie but deals can still be made in todays world instead of whining and bitching and throwing a temper tantrum.
    I agree the bitching and whining has no place........I think the draftpicks are better than any deal he could of done with EDM\'s talent pool and his already abundent group of youngsters anyway.
    God bless us,everyone of us!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I still think Lowe has not evaluated all possibilities. Here is my explanation.

If Lowe was ready to lose his first, second, third round pick and 20M$ to get a first line guy, he could have done it later in the season in a trade. We all know that Oilers won\'t make the playoffs this year either, so why be such in a hurry to sign a RFA?:huh:

Many UFA-to-be could be moved in February 2008 by teams that are out of the playoffs.
    Hossa
    Nagy
    Dumont
    Satan
    Stillman
    Prospal
    and so on...

Just think about these players and the prices the GMs will ask, knowing that they might lose them. They will surely not ask 3 round picks.

Lowe is a compulsive buyer.
    "Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable. - Conn Smythe

Keeper League Pts only / 9 G.M.
    F: Ovechkin, Kane, Backstrom, Elias, Roy, Stamkos
    D: Campbell, Chara, Souray
    G: Price, Pavelec
    Bench: Eriksson, Goligoski, , Vokoun, Hiller, Antropov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Maksim wrote:
    I still think Lowe has not evaluated all possibilities. Here is my explanation.

If Lowe was ready to lose his first, second, third round pick and 20M$ to get a first line guy, he could have done it later in the season in a trade. We all know that Oilers won\'t make the playoffs this year either, so why be such in a hurry to sign a RFA?:huh:

Many UFA-to-be could be moved in February 2008 by teams that are out of the playoffs.
    Hossa
    Nagy
    Dumont
    Satan
    Stillman
    Prospal
    and so on...

Just think about these players and the prices the GMs will ask, knowing that they might lose them. They will surely not ask 3 round picks.
    The problem with UFA\'s is they get to decide if they want to sign with a particular team. Apparently word\'s out that Edmonton isn\'t the greatest place to be (I personally find that hard to believe!).

Lowe already knows that luring players to town, especially UFA\'s, is a difficult sell (see Pronger\'s wife for more details). That\'s one of the reason\'s I found it difficult to understand Lowe playing hard ball with Smyth last year. The difference wasn\'t huge and Smyth would have happily played in Edmonton.

I think it would be wise for a team to \"tank\" it for the next two draft years. Uh, I mean it would be unfortunate timing on the part of a franchise to not win very many hockey games over the course of the next couple of seasons. Tragic really. :whistle:

Remember the New Jersey/Pittsburgh \"see who can suck the most without being too obvious\" contest for Mario. The runner up gets Kirk Muller (no offense to Capt Kirk fans)

Post edited by: The Comish, at: 2007/08/09 18:14
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket