Thread: Trade advice

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Trade advice

Good day good people of Dobber Hockey,

I am in a salary cap league and I am looking to do a trade to get me a little cap space. As it stands, I may be over for the new season once we settle on the cap.

I won our league last season, so now I'm more open to take a longer view look instead of immediate returns to win it now. I posted in our league that I'm interested in moving Getzlaf and his 9.25 mill salary for the 15/16 season. I'm deep at forward and my other two roster centers are Nuge Hopkins and Bergeron. I can move up Horvat but if he still needs time, I can address that later.

The offer I got involves Brent Burns(5.76 mill) for Getz or Krug (3.4 mill) and Trouba (.833 mill) for Getz.

Burns gets good all around stats as well as points.
    With Chara fading, Krug is in line for more minutes/points. Trouba is a mystery as he has potential but is slipping towards Band-aid Boy status.

Any thoughts of the better offer or if I'm better off standing pat? I realize that to do a cap saving trade, you can't expect and even talent trade.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Trade advice

What are your league cats - points-only or multi? I wouldn't trade Trouba or Krug for a bona fide stud like Getzlaf, even for a salary dump. Possibly Burns depending on the cats, but even then I'm not sure. In a multi-cat league Getzlaf is usually one of the top forwards. Be careful to not handicap your team by focusing only on your cap issues. Try not to panic and see if you can find someone who covets Getlf enough to throw in more value.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Why are you protecting Bergeron over Getz?
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Salary GP G A +/- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP HIT FOW
    Bergeron 8.75 mill 81 23 32 2 44 234 4 10 2 57 1175
    Getzlaf 9.25 mill 77 25 45 15 62 191 3 10 2 100 632

Here's a comparison with our league stats. I agree that Getz is a multi stud but the stats he brings can be replaced with a combination of other players. With scoring way down across the league, 55 points from Bergeron is good and his 1175 face offs can't be replaced. Boston had such an off year that I expect Bergeron's +/- to rebound next season. After that, it's just assists and hits I'd be losing. I have players who easily replace the hits.

Like I said, I can't expect an even talent trade and save money as well.

Dobber Sports Stud

I realize you've got to make a move to help your cap and Getz is your primary option - but I'm not a big fan of either of these deals for you.

If you're taking a longer-term view, then I'm worried about Burns being AS sensational a few years down the road when Jumbo goes. Even now, without MacLellan coaching, I'm nervous on him.

I do like Krug (and his salary) and think he's in a good position to help your points cat - but he's pretty one-dimensional. Maybe +/- if BOS recovers. Trouba will no doubt be a solid contributor, but he's a risk since his "upside" is still unrealized and therefore a risk - AND his next salary alone could make or break his value.

I guess I just feel that if you're dealing Getz, you should be getting better value, even accepting that you're going to "lose" the deal. So for me, I stand pat for now on these offers.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Very well written advice. Thanks for the input guys.