Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Rant] Have you ever choked a 20 point lead in epic fashion??

Dobber Sports Stud

Default [Rant] Have you ever choked a 20 point lead in epic fashion??

Anyone suffer such an embarrassing, epic choke?

At best, I will finish 2nd, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up 3rd or worse with my run of bad luck in the last 2-3 months... this is so hilariously funny and lopsided I can only sit and laugh at this point and pray for the mumps to hit my opponent's teams. I've been sitting atop of my league with a 20 point cushion since November, holding a steady lead, building my team and making sure I have added depth for injuries and cold streaks and making sure I make good, smart trades based on point needs, but nothing I do seems to work anymore. My team is not destined to win it seems.

How it progressively got worse:

-Lost Andersen to freak injury for a month, Gibson steals the job
    -Traded for Anderson in Feb only to get his first game in March, Hammond comes in and replaces him thus making him expendable
    -Specifically did not pick up Hammond because of his shitty stats in the AHL and he ends up going 7-0-1, meanwhile I've taken chances on Bryzgalov, Brodeur, M. Subban, Zepp, Kinkaid only to have them get pulled and **** up my goalie peripherals...
    -Leading 1st place in SOG, but will end up finishing middle of pack in Goals because I can't get some lucky goals even though I'm statistically favoured...
    -My MVP P. Kane done for the year with 25 games left
    -My second MVP Sharp 2 points in last 17 games and averaging 12 minutes a night on the third line doing jack shit
    -Just traded Karlsson, Markov, Sharp, Zuccarello for Malkin, Hossa, Boychuk, Greiss last week because I'm bored and desperate as **** and need a change
    -I was beating my opponent in G, +-, Wins and now he is ahead of me in all 3 categories by a major margin... that is a 6 point swing right there!!

Meanwhile, my opponent has everything going for him:

-He traded Price for Dubnyk, doesn't miss a beat
    -He traded Pavelec/Hutchinson for Talbot, Talbot can't lose and Lundqvist refuses to come back
    -Tavares, Toews, Parise, Pominville, Hudler, Hamilton all heating up for him at the right time...
    -Giordano goes down, Daley goes down, MDZ goes down, he's only running 2D in a 4D roster and he's STILL gaining points every night LOL...

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: [Rant] Have you ever choked a 20 point lead in epic fashion??

yeah, last season. i had an AMAZING first half only for pretty much the entire team not show up the entire second half. finished a distant second =(
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm not even talking about 2nd half. I was still up by 25 points at the midway mark. I'm talking about the last 6 weeks. I'm 4.5 points away from 1st, but my goalies are not winning winnable games much less keeping their jobs as #1 starters. It's tough enough having 2 starters in my league, I go out and make a smart move to get a 3rd goalie for relatively cheap, but what I get instead is an AHL goalie stealing the job with no NHL experience.

Dobber Sports Stud

At one point my top-7 forwards consisted of Kane, Sharp, Parise, D. Sedin, Hornqvist, Wheeler, Ribeiro, with Josi, Carlson, and Holtby, Andersen.... these were all my DRAFT picks. In a 15 team league this was by far the most balanced roster, but now it's all crumbling down....

Dobber Sports Stud

I was the top team in my H2H league 5 weeks ago, sitting pretty with a comfortable points lead.

I'm currently in a dogfight for 8th place trying to scape into our playoffs (top 8 make it). I have to beat a playoff team by a margin larger then 6 points (3 category wins) while the 9th place team faces a bottom 4 team. My opponent owns Bishop so he already has an SO... might be a Leafs-proportion collapse, missing it at the last second.

Lundqvist, why did you forsake me so?
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I've been in first place all season, with a lead up to 30 points...now it's down to 21 and dropping slowly. We'll see if I can hang on. But likely will end up second. Had a great draft so it was tough dropping guys that had a good first half midway into the season
    13 Team Yahoo Roto League
    G, A, PPG, PPA, HITS, PIM, SOG, BLK, W, SV%, SHO

HI SANDERSON!!!

C: Johnson, Monaghan, Coyle, Reinhart
    LW: Benn, Ladd, Skinner, Eriksson
    RW: Voracek, Vrbata, Toffoli, Wheeler
    D: Werenski, Ekman-Larsson, Engelland
    G: Pickard, Grubbauer
    IR: Landeskog, Gudas

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sometimes it just isn't your year bro....lol......yikes.

Dobber Sports Stud

There's still a full month left in the season and I like your team. I don't know what your opponent's team looks like but I don't think it's over for you just yet. If you lost your lead in that short a time span, then it's possible you can regain it just as quickly!
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Stud

I just can't accept how 6 months of hard work can all be undone in a month or so... I'm in a roto pool, not H2H where anything happens in the last few weeks....

Dobber Sports Stud

Another winnable game turns into a loss by Holtby.... who has Talbot? of course that opponent does. B2B road games and NYR can't slow down, give me a break...jesus

Administrator

I am an Atlanta Falcons fan. I've seen plenty of 20-point choke jobs over the last few years...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I can certainly understand your frustration. I'm in a H2H league where we have a prize for the regular season winner and a prize for the playoff winner. With 4 weeks left in the regular season I was in 1st by 31 points. If I don't make a comeback this week I will finish in 2nd. I have no idea what the probability of blowing a 31 point lead in 4 weeks is, but my guess is it would be somewhere in the 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 range. It's like the Packers blowing that lead to the Seahawks. It only could happen if every single thing that could go wrong (or right for the 2nd place person) did. Just unbelievable.
    Yahoo 10 Team H2H League (Daily Change) - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, Shots, W, Save%, GAA, SO

C -E. Staal (C/LW), Zetterberg (C/LW), Hall (C/LW), Spezza
    LW - D. Sedin, Perron (LW/RW)
    RW - Ovechkin (LW/RW), Gaborik (LW/RW)
    D - Subban, Keith, Kronwall, Klingberg
    G - Elliott, Dubnyk, Allen, Talbot
    IR - Bobrovsky

Start 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 2 G

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Livan33 View Post
    I can certainly understand your frustration. I'm in a H2H league where we have a prize for the regular season winner and a prize for the playoff winner. With 4 weeks left in the regular season I was in 1st by 31 points. If I don't make a comeback this week I will finish in 2nd. I have no idea what the probability of blowing a 31 point lead in 4 weeks is, but my guess is it would be somewhere in the 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 range. It's like the Packers blowing that lead to the Seahawks. It only could happen if every single thing that could go wrong (or right for the 2nd place person) did. Just unbelievable.
    I'd have 90% of the prize pool if we paid out 10% per monthly winner.....

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm experiencing one right now. I led my league for about every week this season except (I think) one.

Until about three weeks ago. In the interim I've been blanked not just once but twice and I'm now in third. And I'm losing this week right now.

I'd call that an epic meltdown.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sometimes you realize...at the end of the day, its still just gambling.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???