Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Draft Strategy

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Draft Strategy

i thought i\'d throw in one little tidbit that i learn the hard way each and every year...

don\'t fall in love with the young guys!

that kind of crap is fine in a keeper but ain\'t good for nothing in a one year!

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Draft Strategy

don\'t fall in love with the young guys!
    Absolutely correct! Even true in keeper leagues. This is why pride/vanity is one of the seven deadly sins. Every pool has one or more people who love to claim ownership of young talent. They love to be the guy who drafted him first! They love to gloat several years down the line.

And they always lose.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

The Wolverine

Default Draft Strategy

I\'ve been thinking about how I\'d draft as well in a 12 team H2H league and like to hear your thoughts.

Like what others have said, goalies would be very important in our league since we\'d have plenty of skaters and 2 starting goalies with a 7/4 skater/goalie category split. I\'m even thinking of maybe goalies in the first 2 rounds if goalies are the focus early. If more forwards than probably best to ensure a stud F and then a top G.

Also, was thinking about multi category guys - whether going for a 80-90 point guy (say 25/30G, 55-60A, little in other cats) or a 75 point guy who shoots more and higher PIMs, regardless of position needs. Might be better to have the latter since it\'s easier to find purely points only guys in the later rounds.

As for top D, I\'d hesitate to take them too early especially if there are few high scorers still available, and there are plenty of 40 pt D-men to snap up later on to fill the roster. But someone like Phaneuf who is great for multi categories could go a little higher and could be just as valuable, if not more than a 75-80 point guy with little else. I think I\'d even rank him higher than Lidstrom.