Page 34 of 105 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 84 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Watched Unbroken last night and even though I had listened to the audiobook I still really enjoyed the movie - 7/10.

Looking for some thoughts on American Sniper, Fury, Boyhood, and The Imitation Game, if anyone has seen those.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Drive (2011) - Four stars, highly recommended, awesome noir crime drama

The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armies (2014) - Updating the Hobbit (which was basically a children's story) to appeal to the Lord of the Rings audience sure sounded like a good idea. Unfortunately, it just didn't work out in practice. They should have stuck with the source material, in (at most) two movies. Also, I don't know if it was because it was made for 3-D, but it just didn't look nearly as good as LotR. I'll give it two stars, just because the opening sequence with Smaug was well done.

Columbiana (2011) - Three stars. Definitely worth watching, but not great. Looks and moves like a typical Luc Besson film. But the best sequence is at the beginning of the film.

American Hustle (2013) - Five stars, great movie, much like Scorcese's Goodfellas-type films, except maybe not as grim or violent. Great story, dialogue, performances. Bale is really good in it. I'd have been pulling for him in the Oscars had I seen it back then.

Life of Pi (2012) - Five stars, awesome film. Probably the best live-action 3-D film I've seen, looks even better than Avatar. I'll probably name my next cat "Richard Parker".

RETIRED

I just watched Grand Budapest Hotel.

Not a movie I would normally pick, but I figured wtf.

By far THE best movie I have watched in some time. Visually stunning. Acting spectacular. Writing was fantastic. Story was incredible.

LOVED IT.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post

By far THE best movie I have watched in some time. Visually stunning. Acting spectacular. Writing was fantastic. Story was incredible.

LOVED IT.
    Yeah, I'm going to have to see this. You're the third person I've heard rave about in the last two days.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Genius

I saw St. Vincent (Bill Murray, Naomi Watts, Melissa McCarthy) today. Two stars for me. Cliché story and characters. I expected as much, but sometimes the clichés can still surprise and warm the heart, etc. if it's done particularly well. This movie did not do that for me, although I did like Watts' character.

Totally agree about The Grand Budapest Hotel, by the way. Terrific film.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Saw Fury last night. Hated it. It was entertaining enough but too much a modernized hollywood version of WW2 events. 4/10.
    The other 4:
    Revenge of the Green Dragons - 6.5/10
    The Book of Life - 6/10
    Laggies - 5/10
    Mystery Road - 7/10

And prior to that because they were better than those above: Before I Go To Sleep (love Nicole Kidman, still hot 7.5/10) and What We Do in the Shadows (comedy 'horror' mockumentary 8/10).

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to have to see this. You're the third person I've heard rave about in the last two days.
    Honestly, I have not gushed about a film like this for a long time. It had me from the opening scene. Fiennes was absolutely spectacular. The cameos and supporting cast were equally as good. If you enjoy a good story, see it.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Honestly, I have not gushed about a film like this for a long time. It had me from the opening scene. Fiennes was absolutely spectacular. The cameos and supporting cast were equally as good. If you enjoy a good story, see it.
    I was thinking earlier of seeing if I could get anybody interested in seeing that tonight, but the Stars are playing the Caps tonight at home.

RETIRED

Banned

If you liked Grand Budapest, then be sure to check out the rest of the Wes Anderson catalogue... some real gems in there.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    If you liked Grand Budapest, then be sure to check out the rest of the Wes Anderson catalogue... some real gems in there.
    I think the only two I've seen are Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, and I would recommend both.

I might see if I can find The Life Aquatic... on Netflix when I get home.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Totally agree about The Grand Budapest Hotel, by the way. Terrific film.
    Haha, even though it's not normally something I would watch, I really enjoyed the movie as well. Loved all the cameos and the way the story was told.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just watched American Sniper tonight... bad ass movie. Very intense. 8/10

If you liked zero dark thirty, you'll enjoy this one.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Just watched American Sniper tonight... bad ass movie. Very intense. 8/10

If you liked zero dark thirty, you'll enjoy this one.
    Every time I see the commercial for this (and god knows they are promoting the crap out of it) I want to see it, but I want to read the book first.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

LOVED IT.
    I usually really enjoy Wes Anderson but some reason I could not get into this one and ended up going to bed before the end. My daughter and wife stuck with it and really loved it, so I guess I'll go back and give it a second chance.

I really enjoyed "Moonrise Kingdom", which I think was his last before Grand Budapest. You may want to check it out.

In a different genre, I just watched "Premium Rush" with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He plays a bike messenger who is being chased by a bad guy who wants to steal the package he's delivering. Good, mindless fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I usually really enjoy Wes Anderson but some reason I could not get into this one and ended up going to bed before the end. My daughter and wife stuck with it and really loved it, so I guess I'll go back and give it a second chance.

I really enjoyed "Moonrise Kingdom", which I think was his last before Grand Budapest. You may want to check it out.

In a different genre, I just watched "Premium Rush" with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He plays a bike messenger who is being chased by a bad guy who wants to steal the package he's delivering. Good, mindless fun.
    Given his past movies I could understand why. It wasn't as funny as Royal Tenebaums. Rushmore left me wanting more. Never saw Moonrise Kingdom (that's one I clicked off part way in). The Life Acquatic i enjoyed, but that one was out there.

I guess GBH just caught me at the right moment.
    @SmittysRant