Thread: Goalie to keep Backstrom or Biron

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Goalie to keep Backstrom or Biron

I am entering the 3rd year of a 5 year 8 team keeper pool. I can only keep one goalie. I know neither of these 2 are top goalies but any advice on who I should keep would be great.

Dobber Sports Pro

Really depends on the cats for goalies that your league uses. Backstrom is better GAA and probably more shutouts but will play less and is a year or two from getting phased out by Harding if Minny gets what they hope. Biron will play the lions share of games for Silly and should post decent all around numbers, GAA, SVPct, Wins, and a few shutouts. He should be the man in Silly for the rest of your 5 year run.

Sucky options really.
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Genius

Backstrom - I think he\'ll be getting a very nice contract at the end of the season. This will force Minnesota to do something about their duo of Backstrom/Harding. I believe one or the other will be packing his bags. Backstrom could become a big UFA. So, are you that patient? Good chance he gets similar points this coming season. He\'s a good goalie. Harding is a good goalie too. The possibility always exists that he could usurp Backstrom. Backstrom has had to work through a few minor injuries.

Biron - I have nagging concerns. He appears firmly installed as the Flyers starter. I forgive him for being moved from Buffalo. I worry he has consistency issues. He got a good contract, but not an elite goaltenders contract. Philly isn\'t exactly renouned for their patience. I like the Flyers as a team better than Minnesota. Nittymaki is a decent goaltender, but not overly probable to steal the #1 job.

Your league is more \"here and now\" with its format, so I think I\'d taken Biron.

Dobber Sports Genius

Backstrom - I think he\'ll be getting a very nice contract at the end of the season. This will force Minnesota to do something about their duo of Backstrom/Harding. I believe one or the other will be packing his bags. Backstrom could become a big UFA. So, are you that patient? Good chance he gets similar points this coming season. He\'s a good goalie. Harding is a good goalie too. The possibility always exists that he could usurp Backstrom. Backstrom has had to work through a few minor injuries.

Biron - I have nagging concerns. He appears firmly installed as the Flyers starter. I forgive him for being moved from Buffalo. I worry he has consistency issues. He got a good contract, but not an elite goaltenders contract. Philly isn\'t exactly renouned for their patience. I like the Flyers as a team better than Minnesota. Nittymaki is a decent goaltender, but not overly probable to steal the #1 job.

Your league is more \"here and now\" with its format, so I think I\'d taken Biron.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Based on the remaining years in your pool, I`d take Biron.

I think Harding may take games away from Backstrom this year, and maybe even his job next year...

I think Biron is good for 35+ wins this year. Backstrom maybe 30+...

Philly is also the better team.
    8 Team Auction league: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench, 5 farm. $1,000,000 salary cap, live auction annually, 3 year contracts, RFA after contract expiry. Player goes back into the draft, manager who keeps an RFA has the opportunity to match the highest bid. Keep 15 total PLUS farm team. Farm team counts towards your cap.
    Stats: G,A, PPP, PIM, +/-, Shots, GWG - W, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom $72, Bergeron $30, Malkin $160, TJ $5
    LW: Forsberg $5, Schwartz $5, Schenn $16, JVR $15
    RW: Wheeler $67
    D: Doughty $58, Weber $48, Vatenan $7
    G: Schneider $5 Dubnyck $5

Farm: Gibson $13, Drouin $19, S. Bennett $13, Hubs $23

Dobber Sports Initiate

like tiantonio said depends on the cats. I think biron will have a few more wins and more shots against playing in more games. Backstrom will post a better gaa. SO\'s should be similar, small edge to backstrom and sv % should be similar, a small edge to backstrom.
    14th year-12 team-Keep 10 + 5 farm
    C-Larkin, Trochek, Pavelski, Hayes, R Strome
    LW-Huberdeau, Meier, Kreider
    RW-Gaudreau, Rantanen, Radulov, Kyrou
    D-Letang, Hamilton, Carlson, Burns, Giordano
    G-Andersen, Lehner, Jones

IR-Tarasenko

Farm - Vilardi, Newhook, McMichael, Gusev, Holtz

Dobber Sports Pro

It\'s sounds like it will be a tough choice. I think I would still go with Backstrom though.
    Year 18 keeper pool. 10 GM roto pool. Keep 2 Centers, 3 Wings,3 Defence,1 Goalie,1 extra. and Prospects up to 5 years after drafted if not activated.
    G, A ,PPG, PPA, Shots, Hits, Blocks, SHP,W, GAA, Sv%, SO ( goals and assist are worth 1.5 points) (shp worth .5)

Centers: S Aho, J.T Miller

Wings: M.Tkachuk, A.Svechnikov, Fiala, Giroux

Defence: Josi,Makar,Chychrun

Goalie: Georgiev

(IR)

Farm: Byfield, Byram, Mercer, Lundkvist Frost, Boldy, Comtois, Fabbro, Nemec , Barlow, Carlsson, Dvorsky,

2015 & 2016 BPKL CHAMPS!

Dobber Sports Sage

Backstrom. I\'m a Flyers fan and I\'m still not sold on Biron\'s consistency.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Pro

Biron for sure. Backstrom will lose his job to Harding this year...at the latest during February when the trade deadline comes calling(and Minny ships Backstrom away from the comfy confines of Minny\'s defensive system).

Biron\'s the goalie of a strong, young-ish team with a lot of talent. He\'s a top 10 goalie IMHO, even if he\'s 9th or 10th :P
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Stud

Backstrom has the higher upside because of Minnesota\'s system. However, Biron is the better choice of the two because he is the clear cut #1 on his team. Harding could very easily steal 40+ games from Backstrom this season, and that is not what you want happening to your keeper goalie.
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper