Thread: Travel Tour Groups/Australia

Hercules

Default Travel Tour Groups/Australia

So I booked a trip to Budapest for a music festival and I am now thinking since I’m off in that direction, I should take the opportunity to go to Australia. After being at a music festival for what will be 3-4 days, I don’t want to really do any planning. So I’m looking at a tour group. I’ve been told by people these tours are good if you don’t want to think, and are travelling solo (and like to party {not 80s style}). I’m tempted to book one and just go with the flow of the tour. My question is has anyone done either a Contiki style tour here and would like to share it? Or anyone who travelled up the east coast of Australia solo before?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Travel Tour Groups/Australia

Never done a tour like that, but I wanted to point out that Australia is not really in the neighbourhood of Budapest

Dobber Sports Pro

I did the east coast back in 1990, right out of high school, it was a blast.
    You could get a bus pass from Sydney up to Cairns - with unlimited stops. Just get out where you want and catch the next one through. Tons of hostels everywhere, and lots of beer drinking
    been a few years, but i would think all the backpacker infrastructure is all still there.
    my goal was to dive the great barrier reef, did that, it was awesome.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, KA Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin
    Zherenko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Although Australia is one of the easiest countries to backpack solo without issue, I understand the desire to hitch onto a group tour and let them do the thinking and planning (and ensure you still see the best sights). I would recommend G Adventures (http://www.gadventures.com/destinati...nia/australia/) actually. I used to work for them - they are a great company and do good things in Australia (and around the world). Check them out for sure.

That being said, Australia is also one of the easiest places to just pick up a tour once in country, which can save you money too. All things to consider.

Hercules

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Never done a tour like that, but I wanted to point out that Australia is not really in the neighbourhood of Budapest
    It’s about $300 cheaper to go from Budapest to Australia, than from Toronto to Australia, and like 12hrs less of a flight I think. I know someone who went from London to Australia, and it’s literally 24hrs. You have to go to like Dubai, and then there was a big layover (3-4hrs), then flying again.

I figured it would be really easy to backpack through, mostly because it’s one of the main spots too backpack, the whole solo thing/planning what to do may be a bit much after doing Budapest already for me.

I’ll look at G.Adventures, sounds like a Contiki type of company. Hopefully I’ll get to knock 2 more countries off the list of places I’ve been. Canada, States, England, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Hungary and hopefully Australia all in a year!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It’s about $300 cheaper to go from Budapest to Australia, than from Toronto to Australia, and like 12hrs less of a flight I think. I know someone who went from London to Australia, and it’s literally 24hrs. You have to go to like Dubai, and then there was a big layover (3-4hrs), then flying again.

I figured it would be really easy to backpack through, mostly because it’s one of the main spots too backpack, the whole solo thing/planning what to do may be a bit much after doing Budapest already for me.

I’ll look at G.Adventures, sounds like a Contiki type of company. Hopefully I’ll get to knock 2 more countries off the list of places I’ve been. Canada, States, England, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Hungary and hopefully Australia all in a year!
    Yes flying is kind of tricky from anywhere on the northern hemisphere to go to Australia. It's always far Nice list of countries there, what is your favorite so far?

Dobber Sports Master

Isn't everything in Australia trying to kill you? I always figured it was like Detroit, with better weather and less Stanley Cup parades.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Banned

Budapest is great! Never been to Australia though. Would love to go. Never been with a tour, but I would suggest to just go wit the flow and book stuff there. Im not into these packaged tours typically

Dobber Sports Wizard

Australia is an amazing country. Traveled in a camper van for two weeks along the East coast from Cairns to Sydney, before flying to Melbourne for another ten days. Go there if you can.

Hercules

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Yes flying is kind of tricky from anywhere on the northern hemisphere to go to Australia. It's always far Nice list of countries there, what is your favorite so far?
    Well after spending only like a day in each place, i'd have to say Amsterdam and Munich were cool. I was in Munich for Oktoberfest so I didn't see really much of the city tho. The drive through Germany was really beautiful tho. Amsterdam was very relaxed and more my speed. If I was rich I'd spend as much time as I could in Switzerland. The prices were crazy tho. We went to a pub for dinner, and I got a burger with fries and a small (non-bottomless!) coke. It cost about $40 Canadian. The burger was a frozen patty that reminded me of a McD’s ¼ pounder.

Least favourite place was Venice. Easily. But it gave me food poisoning, so my opinion on that city is very skewed. I did a big rant on it on another thread actually.

And @Loch:

I’m a bit nervous about the spider situation. I’m pretty scared of them, so this could end badly and very embarrassing. Especially if I go on a tour and a hot chick asks me to kill it for her. My answer when girls ask that is usually, “it’s 2014, and women can do anything men can now”. My family and friends have stopped asking me to get spiders for them because they know it won’t happen. But my plan will be to be carrying a can of insect killer 24/7, but knowing me I’d start to spray it on a poisonous/venomous one and run out before the deed is done. Then in turn just pissing it off royally.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Hercules

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    Australia is an amazing country. Traveled in a camper van for two weeks along the East coast from Cairns to Sydney, before flying to Melbourne for another ten days. Go there if you can.
    Did you rent from a company for the camper van? I’ve looked at Wicked Campers and Hippie Campers this morning. Also did you go solo or with a friend? If solo how was the driving/meeting people? I know this is different for everybody, but being where I am now (Hamilton Ontario) I wouldn’t know how easy it is to socialize out of a camper van. Here if you own a camper van you aren’t talked to because you look like a raper.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G: