Thread: Jason Blake for Zherdev

The Great One

Default Jason Blake for Zherdev

I had a response to a previous thread that recomended this trade as I am re-building and not really in a position where I need a Blake type player. I am of the mindset that Id rather move guys like that now so I can be great in the future as opposed to mediocre consistently. So that being said does anyone have any other lowball type prospects worthy of consideration and /or should I push for a draft pick as well. Other considerations were Brule, and Jack Johnson (although I dont really see that happening). I thought Zherdev and a 2nd/3rd type of pick to balance out his unpredictability. Also is anyone even high on Blake? I know one friend of mine is actually pressuring me to keep him, saying he will be money in the bank with Sundin. As always any advice is greatly appreciated...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re:Jason Blake for Zherdev

Personally I would hold onto Blake and hopes he sparks it up with Sundin/Wellwood. If he does then you trade him then, and if all goes like it has been for lately for Zherdev, you could most likely get him plus someone else for Blake.

Dobber Sports Stud

Blake is a \'laff\'. I wouldn\'t trade Zherdev for Blake. Zherdev has an upside. Blake is well, Blake. That\'s what you got. Not exciting. Another blunder by the \'laffs\'.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Blake will do fine with Sundin. He should put up a decent goal total, but definitely less than last year (30-35 if all goes well). However, if your trade talks are with a Leafs fan, Blake\'s value might never be higher than now. I know I\'m generalizing, but Leafs fans tend to get very excited about any new player, then when their expectations aren\'t met, he\'s a bum, trade him. Of course that doesn\'t apply to Sundin, he\'s a god and can never do wrong.

That being said, you should be able to do better than Zherdev.

I\'d aim for Jack Johnson first... see what else it would take and pull the trigger.

If that\'s a no-go, I would go for Brule ahead of Zherdev, especially if PIMs count in your league. But whether it\'s Brule or Zherdev, be sure that you insist on a really nice draft pick, or another player in addition. Maybe Brule AND Zherdev?

Otherwise, as Celly said, hang on to the Blake, he might light it up...

Dobber Sports Expert

I think Zherdev is on one of the worst teams for him to ever realize his potential, but having said that, if you don\'t need Blake\'s goals [his overall point totals are never that great] and can afford to sit on potential I\'d do it [see if you can get a draft pick thrown in]. Who knows if Hitchcock get\'s frustrated enough maybe Zherdev gets dealt somewhere else [hopefully not Dallas].

Assuming you have defensive requirements in your league if you could get J. Johnson that\'d be robbery for J. Blake [good luck].
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

I would trade Blake for Zherdev ina heart beat.

Blake is old and had a career year - playing for his \"final\" contract. He even admitted himself that he doubts he\'ll see 40 goals again.

There are a lot of teams interested in Zherdev and when he gets out of CLB, all the Russians who know him claim he will explode into a superstar because he has mad talent.

You dont hear people talking like that about Blake... all you hear is that he was playing for a new contract.
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

goldfish47

id take zherdev on this one my reasoning is a little off base but good none the less. when was the last former 40 goal scorer that was signed to play with sundin successful? im a big leaf fan so that may skew my opinion a little but ill believe it when i see it.

I agree with Celly I would hold onto him and trade him when another team is getting desperate near the trade deadline. If your pool includes Pim\'s
    and you feel you need to trade now I would go in order Johnson, Brule and then Zherdev.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I\'m thinking Blake\'s value is never higher.
    Career year going to the Sundin line on the Leafs.
    If you\'re rebuilding...time to trade.
    J Johnson is the one to ask for.
    Zherdev has scary good skills but plays in Columbus for Hitchcock.
    I can\'t tell yo the number of good players I\'ve released on my protected list to make room for him over the years. It still turns my stomach. Take him if you must, the promise is there but also stop by the pharmacy and grab yourself some Tums - you\'ll need them.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Initiate

andrewklassen wrote:
    I think Zherdev is on one of the worst teams for him to ever realize his potential
    As much as it pains me to say this (I\'m a Blue Jacket\'s fan), Columbus IS the worst team for Z to play on if he\'s going to reach his potential and it has nothing to do with the style of play Hitchcock will have them playing or that that sytle doesn\'t mesh well with a player like Nik.

The fact is, Zherdev has had problems fitting in with his teammates since he came over. He is generally NOT well liked in the dressing room by the other players and he\'s had his problems with the coaching staff and management in the past(both the pre and post Doug Maclean era).

Scott Howson has said that Zherdev will get a clean slate, but there\'s a large part of me that thinks that with the way things have gone, Nik won\'t blossom until he is moved to another team where he\'ll truly get a fresh start.

I still think he has HUGE upside. I own him in my keeper league and I\'m not going to move him now (mainly because his value is so low at this point that I wouldn\'t get anything near his actual worth in a trade).

Post edited by: wizworm, at: 2007/07/28 00:36
    Team 1
    C: Kuznetsov
    LW: Ovechkin, Hall, Gaudreau, Huberdeau
    RW: Perry, Voracek, Nyquist
    D: Hedman,
    G: Schneider, Hellebuyck*
    Prospects: Lazar, Mantha, Bjorkstrand, Gillies, P.L. Dubois, Konency
    * Prospect Bonus

Team 2
    C: Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Coyle
    LW: Saad, Lucic, van Reimsdyk, Kuznetsov
    RW: Ovechkin, Connolly
    D: Byfuglein, Krug, Green, Lindholm, Savard
    G: Price, Varlamov, Anderson, Bernier, Pickard
    Prospects: Nurse, Milano, Hellebuyck, Jarry, Gillies, Chychrun

Dobber Sports Prodigy

hockeylifer wrote:
    Blake is a \'laff\'. I wouldn\'t trade Zherdev for Blake. Zherdev has an upside. Blake is well, Blake. That\'s what you got. Not exciting. Another blunder by the \'laffs\'.
    Everybody the Leafs sign is a \"laff\" if you listen to some posters. Fact Blake scored more goals last year then Briere, Drury, and Smyth ever have.

While I don\'t expect Blake will improve on last season numbers, he should be a solid contributor.

He also should be a candidate for a trade but can\'t you get someone better then Zherdev? At least get a pick thrown in or something.

I...am your father.

With Blake you know you\'re getting 65 points. Zherdev could be 35 and back to Russia, or 70 with much more to come. If you\'re rebuilding you are definitely better off going for the wildcard. Although, i would try and get a pick off him as well.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi