Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any news on Krug and Justin Schultz signings?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Any news on Krug and Justin Schultz signings?

If Edmonton is willing to pay Nikitin 4.5, they need to be prepared to pay Schultz similarily.
    F-Jarvis,Aho,Mittlestadt,Byfield,Berggren,Brink,Chyt il,Dach,Kakko,Kaliyev,
    Cooley,Newhook,Macelli,Marchenko,Meier,Michkov,Per fetti,Reichel,Stankoven

D-Bean,Hutson,Mateychuk,Mintyukov,Seider,Addison,Kor chinski

G-Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal,Knight,Taras ov

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=2pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=2pts,T=1,SO=1,G,A=1 (3 count)

12 Team Dynasty

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRamrod View Post
    If Edmonton is willing to pay Nikitin 4.5, they need to be prepared to pay Schultz similarily.
    True, and the fact that they gave Petry 3m/year makes even more of a case for Schultz.

Dobber Sports Icon

The amount of money the Oilers gave Nikitin should have nothing to do with the amount they pay Justin Schultz. The difference between a UFA and an RFA in terms of salary is huge. The Petry contract should be the absolute limit to the amount of money the Oilers pay Schultz for any of his RFA years unless they buy some UFA years with a long term contract. I would be shocked if Schultz even got $3 million per year in a shorter term deal.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The amount of money the Oilers gave Nikitin should have nothing to do with the amount they pay Justin Schultz.
    In theory, your right. However, if I'm Schultz or his agent, there is no freaking way Nikitin 's contract isn't used as a measuring tool. Edmonton has set a precedence with all their contracts and created their own market value. Schultz will find his place within it.

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=2pt,+- (8 count)

12 Team Dynasty

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In theory, your right. However, if I'm Schultz or his agent, there is no freaking way Nikitin 's contract isn't used as a measuring tool. Edmonton has set a precedence with all their contracts and created their own market value. Schultz will find his place within it.
    Shultz doesn't have as much negotiating power being a RFA as chuckcouples was saying. You need to compare him to others in the same boat. Shultz will get a bridge contract.

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree, AGAIN. My point is that IT WILL be used as a measuring stick. He may not hit the 4.5 Nikitin got, but it will be comparable. Kulikov just got 4.3. If they bridge him for two years, I think he gets 3.0 per, but he's going to bend them over when he produces and needs a new contract (a'la Subban (I hope he's that good)). They have no one who can replace him.

Faulk would be a good comparison.
    Faulk, Justin 14/15=2.500 15/16=3.500 16/17=5.500 17/18=5.500

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=2pt,+- (8 count)

12 Team Dynasty

Dobber Sports Guru

From Friedman's latest column:

22. Could see two University of Wisconsin alumni -- Jake Gardiner and Justin Schultz -- agreeing to short bridge deals.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's encouraging news. I have not heard that. Schultz has shown he has no issues with holding out or doing whatever he needs to to make more money. I am very concerned about his potential to be another Marc Andre Bergeron, so I'd rather see him get paid big time after a couple years of big time play and then pay him for it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    That's encouraging news. I have not heard that. Schultz has shown he has no issues with holding out or doing whatever he needs to to make more money. I am very concerned about his potential to be another Marc Andre Bergeron, so I'd rather see him get paid big time after a couple years of big time play and then pay him for it.
    Between this and the Anaheim thing he isn't creating the best rep for himself. He very much seems like a "my way or the highway" type of guy.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Between this and the Anaheim thing he isn't creating the best rep for himself. He very much seems like a "my way or the highway" type of guy.
    He totally does, and yet I get it more from RoR... Ah the bias of having a guy on your fantasy squad.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think Schultz's hold out on the the Ducks had more to do with other options and a loop hole versus "my way or the highway". If you had an opportunity to make more and the Ducks refusing to pay out at worst the rookie max, wouldn't you take it. No loyalty there yet, no attachments, good friend and college teammate in Gardiner being traded made it easier. He no longer has that option and the Oilers hold his rights for 6 years from the original signing. He's stuck here for a while still. Not filing for arbitration says something about him wanting to make it work without a fuss.

Some articles on it from both the Ducks and Oilers side:

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/3...urray-contract

http://oilersnation.com/2012/7/2/was...m-ducks-unfair

Dobber Sports Ninja

So what's with the hold up then? The fact that he walked from the team that drafted him, and now is taking an awfully long time to come to an agreement on his next contract speaks an awful lot about him as far as I am concerned. If I was an NHL GM I'd downgrade players who seem like they are too smart for their own good (college educated) or have parents who are too smart for their own good (aka O'Reilly). Line me up a dumb NHL player who lives for hockey and can't do the math as well.

Okay, so half kidding, but players are starting to figure out more and more that they hold all the power here and these types of situations are going to start happening more and more from the young whippersnappers!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    So what's with the hold up then? The fact that he walked from the team that drafted him, and now is taking an awfully long time to come to an agreement on his next contract speaks an awful lot about him as far as I am concerned. If I was an NHL GM I'd downgrade players who seem like they are too smart for their own good (college educated) or have parents who are too smart for their own good (aka O'Reilly). Line me up a dumb NHL player who lives for hockey and can't do the math as well.

Okay, so half kidding, but players are starting to figure out more and more that they hold all the power here and these types of situations are going to start happening more and more from the young whippersnappers!
    I know your half kidding but what your saying is downgrade Subban because he knows he deserves a better contract and is holding out? And God forbid you get a smart hockey player, you wouldn't want that! How many players walk from the team that drafted them? And geez, free agency is 24 days old. Come September start worrying but it hasn't been that long.

Who knows what the issue is if there is any at all but lets not assume anything yet. For all we know this can be on the Oilers end and wanting to sign or trade for other players before signing Schultz.

I get you point and frustration and I'm after Schultz in one of my pools using the situation to get a better deal but to early IMO.

Dobber Sports Stud

Prepare to be shocked. 1year, at 3.675. More then expected and shorter term. Dude has tone of pressure and opportunity to blaze his way to a new deal. Will he earn it?

I hope he gets 50 pts this year

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=2pt,+- (8 count)

12 Team Dynasty

Dobber Sports Genius

Prepare to be shocked. 1year, at 3.675. More then expected and shorter term. Dude has tone of pressure and opportunity to blaze his way to a new deal. Will he earn it?

I hope he gets 50 pts this year
    Hope so too....got him in my lineup as well....
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).