Thread: QB in the first round??

Dobber Sports Pro

Default QB in the first round??

I am picking 9 out of 12 in my yahoo league. It is a non-ppr, 6 points for td pass league. All other stats are the standard setup.

I normally hate taking a QB early, but I am extremely tempted to take Brees at 9. I know Peyton will be off the board, and I also know I will likely have to choose between Brees/Rodgers/Graham/Demaryius for my first round pick.

Knowing how many points Brees will put up, I'm tempted to take him. If I go QB/RB round 1/2, then WR/WR in 3/4, I think I might have good enough depth to be a strong team. Last year the two teams with Peyton/Brees finished 1-2 in the league.

I usually never ever take a QB until filling out some other positions but it's tempting to get Brees on my team this year. With the 6 point td setup he and Peyton put up monster numbers, and since it's non-ppr the backs/receivers rarely have monster weeks.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: QB in the first round??

No way I'd be taking a QB at 9 in a 12 team league.

As an initial matter, I'd find it shocking if none of the top 3 were available at your pick in the 2nd round (I assume you have #4 in Round 2).

But more importantly, you just don't need to take a QB early. In fact, the chance is that your team will be poorer for it given the quality at QB available later in the draft and the relative scarcity at the RB position. It's not necessarily about which player can have a monster week; it's about getting the right mix of guys who maximize your team's total output. In other words, you don't always select "the best player available" so to speak. You have to take into account roster needs, position scarcity, relative value over other players, etc. Blah, blah, blah.

From your post it sounds like you know all of this already and usually think similarly. I think it'd be a mistake to deviate from that this year. You'd be putting an awful lot of pressure on yourself to nail some later, more speculative/risky selections to make it all work (and even if you get a decent RB 2 with the 9th pick in the 5th round, you still have a lot of work to do to build any depth to be able to survive injuries, guys simply not panning out as expected, etc.).

Just my two cents. Cheers!
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I just got Brees in the 2nd round(17th overall) in the dobber football league.. This was in a 14 team league though..

In a 12 team league, you are going to be able to pick up a really good QB in the 5-6 round.. Or you can wait on Rivers or Cutler late..

Too much value at RB and WR to go QB so early..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post

Too much value at RB and WR to go QB so early..
    Completely agree. You're going to be able to get Ryan, Brady, Romo, Cutler, Luck, etc. in later rounds. I've been getting at least one of those guys in the 7/8 rounds in 12-team mocks and am happy with how the teams have looked by waiting on a QB.

Romo in particular is way underrated this year.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I am picking 9 out of 12 in my yahoo league. It is a non-ppr, 6 points for td pass league. All other stats are the standard setup.

I normally hate taking a QB early, but I am extremely tempted to take Brees at 9. I know Peyton will be off the board, and I also know I will likely have to choose between Brees/Rodgers/Graham/Demaryius for my first round pick.

Knowing how many points Brees will put up, I'm tempted to take him. If I go QB/RB round 1/2, then WR/WR in 3/4, I think I might have good enough depth to be a strong team. Last year the two teams with Peyton/Brees finished 1-2 in the league.

I usually never ever take a QB until filling out some other positions but it's tempting to get Brees on my team this year. With the 6 point td setup he and Peyton put up monster numbers, and since it's non-ppr the backs/receivers rarely have monster weeks.
    You can NOT go wrong with Brees and that potent saints Offense. Trust me...and trust in Brees!

Dobber Sports Pro

Too early for Brees. If you have a hard on for him, he will likely be available on the way back. Just finished our annual draft...Peyton went 12th, Brees went 23rd....and that's in a 14 team league. I picked up Cutler in the 7th rnd, 88th overall.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta