Thread: Trade Spiller or sit tight?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Trade Spiller or sit tight?

Hey guys,

Stats for my keeper league are as follows

Keepers 1 Qb, 1 Rb, 1 Wr, 1 flex, 1 Te

Next year we get an extra flex to keep.

My keepers are RGIII, MCCoy, Marshall, Lacy, Pitta

It's a .5 ppr. So clearly I won't keep spiller. I have an offer of the 2nd pick in the 3rd round so 26th overall for Spiller. The other gm would keep him. The pick is below where spiller would go but if I hold onto him I get nothing. I've tried for a 2nd rounder but most teams he won't be a keeper or just won't part with their picks. Some of the notable guys unprotected are montee ball, Ty Hilton, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, roddy white, cordarelle Patterson, Ryan Matthews etc...

We start 1 QB,1 Rb, 2 WR, 2 flex, 1 Te if that helps

Thanks!
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Trade Spiller or sit tight?

Could you trade that third round pick for Montee Ball? I'd want to do that and keep Ball over RG3. With McCoy, Lacy, and Ball you could have 3 top 6 RBs which is a huge advantage. I think it would be much easier to redraft RG3 than Ball.

Dobber Sports Stud

No ball will go in the 1st round. It's a 3rd round pick and I need to keep a QB. Can't just keep as many RB as I want

Right. I forgot to check your keeper settings lol. I'd still make the trade. I mean shop for a better offer, but I would make the deal.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm not a big Spiller guy but I would rather drop him. You may "get nothing" in terms of an immediate asset but the quality of player available for your pick in the 1st round is that much better with Spiller in the pool of FA's.

I would sell him for a top 15 pick, nothing less. Especially if it's to a gm that will be keeping him.

I think Spillz showed last season he's nothing more than a homerun change of pace back. And his coaching staff doesn't know how to use him.

Dobber Sports Expert

I expect a bit of a bounce back from Spiller this year. He had nearly 1000 yds rushing last season; what dragged him down was the lack of TDs -- especially given that he was being drafted as high as 5th overall last season. Now that the coaching staff (maybe?) has figured out how best to use him, I think he could add to the TD totals a bit (and it also helps that defenses will have to account for Watkins, rookie getting looks from a shaky QB or not). Kind of like Calvin a year prior, the low touchdown total was as much bad luck as anything given the number of touches.

So I'm in the boat of tossing Spiller back into the draft pool rather than sell him for a 3rd. Make someone burn an early pick to get him, and allow a better player to fall to you than otherwise would (perhaps another high-end WR to pair with Marshall), or watch him tumble and snag him again yourself when the time is right. I used the same strategy successfully last year in a similar keeper set up by dropping Julio instead of accepting a lowball type pre-draft offer and was able to redraft him as a result. I'm considering doing the same again this year with AP and Marshall.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks for the replies so far guys...

I'm leaning towards not making the move unless the offer gets upped. I'm in the same boat thinking that Spiller either has a bad year or gets moved to a team who will use him more.

The original offer was rejected anyways but I have since received an offer of the 3rd round 9th of that round for Spiller. It would mean that GM would drop Reggie Bush instead of keeping him. So Bush and Spiller are close in a PPR league but should I still consider taking the pick?
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard