Thread: Bronson Arroyo out for season with TJS

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Bronson Arroyo out for season with TJS

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/486300090458320896

The @Dbacks' SP Bronson Arroyo needs season-ending Tommy John surgery.
    In the latest in what is now a long string of bad breaks for the Diamondbacks, veteran starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo says he will have season-ending Tommy John surgery on his right elbow after an MRI last month revealed a completely torn ulnar collateral ligament.

Arroyo broke the news to reporters Monday afternoon, explaining that a June 16 MRI had revealed the tear, but he initially decided to try pitching without the ligament after resting his arm for a while. It became clear eventually that plan wasn't going to work, as Arroyo's arm wasn't recovering quickly enough after throwing sessions.

"I was going to see if I could ride it without the ligament," Arroyo said. "If this was the last year of my career, I could gut through it with anti-inflammatories and different things and it would be tough. But if I want to play after this year it's going to be impossible."

Arroyo, 7-4 with a 4.08 ERA this season, said he actually made his last six starts with the UCL completely torn off the bone. Oddly enough, Arroyo pitched as well as he had all season, going 3-1 with a 3.45 ERA in the last five of those starts.

Arroyo becomes the third D-backs pitcher this season to need the major elbow surgery; starter Patrick Corbin and setup man David Hernandez had it just before the start of the season. Reliever Matt Reynolds and starter Daniel Hudson are also on the D-backs' 60-day disabled list rehabbing from the surgery.

The D-backs signed Arroyo early in spring training to a two-year contract worth $19 million, with an $11 million team option (or $4.5 million buyout) for 2016. In 14 previous big league seasons, Arroyo had never gone on the disabled list.
    Arroyo said it a date or surgeon for the surgery have not yet been decided, but it will occur soon, and he hopes to be back on the mound in the second half of the 2015 season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Bronson Arroyo out for season with TJS

Poor Dbacks......now give the Jays Prado!!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Bronson Arroyo out for season with TJS

Damn that Tommy John guy, he seems to be a thorn in baseball pitchers side every year..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..