Thread: This year or next?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default This year or next?

So I pick at #11 in the entry draft this year and have a chance to flip that pick for a pick next year which is probably in that same range of 9-13. Do you guys do this? I just entered a major rebuild and have accumulated a lot of 2015 1sts (4 in total). I also pick at #14 this year. I'm thinking that in that range the talent level may be negligible and I can probably still get a nice player in this draft but I don't know.....

The Great One

Default Re: This year or next?

whenever I have done this I leave it to the very last minute... Most leagues I'm involved in give you 24 hours to make the pick and I shop the hell out of it as people tend to over pay if they have a player they really believe in at that spot. Flipping from year to year I like to try and avoid solely because of the wait time at prospects from around then onwards to make it but never say never

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah that's my feeling too but in this case I think it can either help or hurt depending on who is available. What I'm really trying to determine is whether there will be a large difference between the guys from 9-14 this year verses those same guys next year. Obviously at the top end there will be a major difference but I feel that typically once you get outside the top 10 the talent level is fairly similar year to year. Correct?

The Great One

Can be - this year it all points to being a deeper draft though so I would take what I know

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah fair enough.

Dobber Sports Giant

This draft doesn't have the top-end elite talents of 2015; however, the 5-20 range holds some very intriguing talent. I'd keep the pick this year, for sure, and look out for guys like Fabbri, Virtanen, Perlini, etc. There are lots of guys who could be available in the #11 range that would hold some serious value going forward. I'd keep the pick this year.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

My instinct would be to keep the pick this year, because you already have 4 first rounders next year. Had you not stockpiled all those 2015 1sts, I might have gone the other way...

Banned

Take next years. You'll be waiting regardless

Dobber Sports Stud

Voodoo makes a great point. Wait until the 9th or 10th pick then start shopping it. Guys will get antsy and they'll likely buck up more than a 2015 9-13 range pick to get your 11.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Voodoo makes a great point. Wait until the 9th or 10th pick then start shopping it. Guys will get antsy and they'll likely buck up more than a 2015 9-13 range pick to get your 11.
    This is exactly what I'd suggest. Wait and see who's available, who's offering and use it to your advantage.

People ALWAYS overpay in the draft, when they are more reticent during the season to give up high picks.

This is going to sound weird, but you have the luxury of patience right now. You just entered into a rebuild and you don't need to rush into anything. Make deals that are in your favor and don't settle. One deal won't likely change your circumstances, so make sure you aren't going to be getting short changed.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Padawan

Patience is key for sure. And don't forget that despite the thoughts of 2015 being a better year, you lose out on a year of development for a player you select this year in that same slot. If you pick the right guy, maybe you get someone like Mantha (who I picked at #15 last year). Of course, that strategy is the exception. But the idea of having someone to develop now, not later, especially with you having four 2015 1sts is probably your best bet
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+