Thread: Almqvist using SEL as negotiating ploy

I...am your father.

Default Almqvist using SEL as negotiating ploy

Detroit prospect Adam Almqvist is hinting at playing in the SEL this year if he doesn't get a one-way deal:

http://www.jonkopingsposten.se/artik...t-om-framtiden

Here is Almqvist's updated profile.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Benson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Kovalenko, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie, Daws
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Hanifin, Severson, Nikishin, Andrae

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Almqvist using SEL as negotiating ploy

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Detroit prospect Adam Almqvist is hinting at playing in the SEL this year if he doesn't get a one-way deal:

http://www.jonkopingsposten.se/artik...t-om-framtiden

Here is Almqvist's updated profile.
    That's interesting. That's now two Detroit prospects in less than 6 months who have used the threat of going back to Sweden as a negotiating ploy. Might be a byproduct of the "slow roast" development that Detroit takes.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If only this guy was four inches taller and 30 pounds heavier and could move bodies... and had a right shot. Actually, right now he would just need to be a right-shooting guy, because that's mainly what Detroit is looking for on D. A right-handed puck mover. He's a solid dman and in the right situation he could probably flourish, but at this point he's on the outside looking in as far as Detroit goes. If he stays he's probably the 7th dman next year.
    GO WINGS!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    If only this guy was four inches taller and 30 pounds heavier and could move bodies... and had a right shot. Actually, right now he would just need to be a right-shooting guy, because that's mainly what Detroit is looking for on D. A right-handed puck mover. He's a solid dman and in the right situation he could probably flourish, but at this point he's on the outside looking in as far as Detroit goes. If he stays he's probably the 7th dman next year.

If you were Ken Holland, would you:

a) give him a cheap one-way deal and play him like they played Kindl and Ericsson their first years. Maybe 50 games, 11 minutes/game
    b) offer him a two year deal with the second year being one-way
    c) just say goodbye

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Benson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Kovalenko, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Hanifin, Severson, Nikishin, Andrae

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    If you were Ken Holland, would you:

a) give him a cheap one-way deal and play him like they played Kindl and Ericsson their first years. Maybe 50 games, 11 minutes/game
    b) offer him a two year deal with the second year being one-way
    c) just say goodbye
    Now that he's tried to force Detroit's hand, that kind of changes everything. Allegedly thats what Jarnkrok did, now Almqvist. What are they gonna do when Pulkkinen suddenly thinks he's ready, or Janmark-Nylen or Frk. I'll be interested to see what Holland chooses to do, but they can't let this become a trend.

I guess personally I'd bring him in, let him play bottom pair minutes with some PP2. Probably a one year deal, make him prove his worth a bit. If he falters, move on to Sproul or Oullette.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Now that he's tried to force Detroit's hand, that kind of changes everything. Allegedly thats what Jarnkrok did, now Almqvist. What are they gonna do when Pulkkinen suddenly thinks he's ready, or Janmark-Nylen or Frk. I'll be interested to see what Holland chooses to do, but they can't let this become a trend.

I guess personally I'd bring him in, let him play bottom pair minutes with some PP2. Probably a one year deal, make him prove his worth a bit. If he falters, move on to Sproul or Oullette.
    This is a good point. You can't have every prospect doing that, and you can bet that all the prospects are seeing what happens here and filing it away for future reference

Dobber Sports Stud

Its a vexing situation certainly

Then again from AA's perspective he wants to play in the NHL or at home in Sweden

I don't blame him one little bit for forcing the issue

With the current blueline contract situation of DeKeyser & Quincey, Almquists minutes would be restricted at best

I guess from the Wings perspective its a good problem to have. Enough talent on the NHL level and kids progressing to create a logjam is an enviable situation
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.