Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compare these prospects to 2014 draftees REP

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Compare these prospects to 2014 draftees REP

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    A testament to the quality of this draft if that happens.
    Im curious why a player playing his way up the draft board is a testament (with negative connotation) to this years draft? Each year has risers and fallers.

The only bad thing about Fabbri is he is undersized, but he knows how to play a very elusive game so that he doesn't get hit. Defenders can barely even get close to this kid because he's such a good skater.

Undersized, IMO, isn't even an excuse anymore either. All it takes is looking at the top 40 or 50 in league scoring this season. Crosby, Giroux, Kessel, Pavelski, Karlsson, Duchene, Kane, Krejci, Eberle, Little, Oshie, all under 6'0.

Personally at 15 I'd love to snag Fabbri or Milano or Fiala. Stone is the only one I'd consider out of the 5 listed in the original post.

Banned

if there was only one bad thing then he would go 1st overall or Top 3. I don't think I would consider him a riser either. I've seen OHL guys who aren't a big fan. At least he;s better than Josh Ho-Sang who I see continually pimped yet is probably a complete bust.

The Great One

Ho-Sang just needs to work on attitude and defensive awareness.

He could be a complete steal if he gets drafted after the 15thish pick and gets put in a system to work on his bad habits. The kid has mega skill. Just needs to put it all together. Just like 95% of these kids do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Ho-Sang just needs to work on attitude and defensive awareness.

He could be a complete steal if he gets drafted after the 15thish pick and gets put in a system to work on his bad habits. The kid has mega skill. Just needs to put it all together. Just like 95% of these kids do.
    Sigh...

The Great One

if there was only one bad thing then he would go 1st overall or Top 3. I don't think I would consider him a riser either. I've seen OHL guys who aren't a big fan. At least he;s better than Josh Ho-Sang who I see continually pimped yet is probably a complete bust.

You understand what I wrote was the same thing you wrote right?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Ok Ev, if you're a big fan of the 2011 draft.....how is Fabbri any different than Sven Bartschi? Both a little undersized, great offensive games based off their skating and smarts. Have some grit to their game. Fabbri's a bit more of a goal scorer, but Bartschi has the instincts to score as well. Numbers are almost identical in their draft years. Both played for powerhouse teams and received top line minutes.

Bartschi went 13th overall. There is no way Fabbri falls from the 1st round, and it is completely legit for him to go top 15. I don't understand how someone with his skill set going top 15 is a testament to this draft's weakness.

In 2013 Max Domi went 12th, and Alex Wennberg 14th. 2012 Teuvo Teravainen went 18th. In 2010 Jaden Schwartz went 14th. In 2009 Peter Holland went 15th. 2008 Cody Hodgson went 10th. All similar players to Fabbri....not carbon copies necessarily but all players who use their skating and IQ to be effective. All are a little undersized, and most have some grit/physicality to their game. And all (except TT, and he should have) went top 15.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    [/B]
    You understand what I wrote was the same thing you wrote right?
    no?

Ho-Sang will not be a steal wherever he goes. Everyone expects him to be a late first or second rounder. I would bet he won't make the NHL

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Im curious why a player playing his way up the draft board is a testament (with negative connotation) to this years draft? Each year has risers and fallers.

The only bad thing about Fabbri is he is undersized, but he knows how to play a very elusive game so that he doesn't get hit. Defenders can barely even get close to this kid because he's such a good skater.

Undersized, IMO, isn't even an excuse anymore either. All it takes is looking at the top 40 or 50 in league scoring this season. Crosby, Giroux, Kessel, Pavelski, Karlsson, Duchene, Kane, Krejci, Eberle, Little, Oshie, all under 6'0.

Personally at 15 I'd love to snag Fabbri or Milano or Fiala. Stone is the only one I'd consider out of the 5 listed in the original post.
    I've seen Fabbri get rocked a couple times. He's more got Gallagher in him than an elusive smaller player IMO.

But I agree, undersized isn't really an issue like it used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Ok Ev, if you're a big fan of the 2011 draft.....how is Fabbri any different than Sven Bartschi? Both a little undersized, great offensive games based off their skating and smarts. Have some grit to their game. Fabbri's a bit more of a goal scorer, but Bartschi has the instincts to score as well. Numbers are almost identical in their draft years. Both played for powerhouse teams and received top line minutes.

Bartschi went 13th overall. There is no way Fabbri falls from the 1st round, and it is completely legit for him to go top 15. I don't understand how someone with his skill set going top 15 is a testament to this draft's weakness.

In 2013 Max Domi went 12th, and Alex Wennberg 14th. 2012 Teuvo Teravainen went 18th. In 2010 Jaden Schwartz went 14th. In 2009 Peter Holland went 15th. 2008 Cody Hodgson went 10th. All similar players to Fabbri....not carbon copies necessarily but all players who use their skating and IQ to be effective. All are a little undersized, and most have some grit/physicality to their game. And all (except TT, and he should have) went top 15.
    Neither Wennberg or Holland are undersized FYI. Holland is 6 foot 2, and Wennberg is like 6 foot 1.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't think last year was that great either. I think this draft has a ton of marginal players and a lot of bust potential. The RNH draft I think was actually one of the deepest in the last 10 years. I don't think it's comparable.

Basically, I would not take guys with bust potential over sure NHLers. The Panthers or Sens wouldn't trade either player for a 15th overall pick in my opinion.
    I was actually comparing the player likely to go first overall. RNH IMO was not one of the stronger first overall taken in the last decade. I think this draft will be similar. And last year was pretty deep up to like the 15th pick. It had a ton of high potential players up to Nichuskin at 9.

And again, I don't think the "marginal" players are really that marginal. It doesn't have the top end high end depth at the start of the draft that last years draft or next years draft will, but it has a bunch of talented players that are getting really underrated IMO.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Stud

I think this draft is underrated and realistically it's just a product of circumstances. It is the year after MacKinnon/Drouin/Jones and the year before McDavid/Eichel.

Nobody hyped this draft early (because they were all focused on MacK) and as soon as that focus shifted it's straight to 2015. There's no logical reason to overlook these players because there is some very good, perhaps not superstar, but very good NHL talent. Not everybody can be a PPG player.