Thread: Holmgren Signed to Extension

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Holmgren Signed to Extension

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=367917

Good move locking up the guy who is responsible for the team\'s turnaround.

Dobber Sports Sage

Yep. I had my doubts the first month or so when he took over, but that was due to the abysmal season and the years of watching Clarke do everything the wrong way. Ever since he started wheeling and dealing building up to the trade deadline in his first season, I can say there isnt another GM I\'d rather have. Cheers to Homer having a long tenure as Philly GM.

If there was one trade that sums up Paul Holmgren it is this one.

Alexei Zhitnik for Braydon Coburn
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

That is definitely his best deal. Even though we overpaid for Hartnell the deal(s) we did with Nashville are good too. All in all, it ended up being:

Peter Forsberg

for

Kimmo Timonen, Scott Hartnell, Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent

Dobber Sports Sage

playmaker26 wrote:
    That is definitely his best deal. Even though we overpaid for Hartnell the deal(s) we did with Nashville are good too. All in all, it ended up being:

Peter Forsberg

for

Kimmo Timonen, Scott Hartnell, Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent
    Yeah no kidding. Forsberg really didnt want to be part of that trade, but Homer was able to convince him it was the best thing for our club. I wonder if Homer was GM of Toronto if Sundin would have been traded this past deadline! :laugh:
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

Yeah, I wonder. He has only made smart moves since becoming GM. Jason Smith didn\'t turn out but look what Pitkanen did in Edmonton...nothing. And Lupul turned it around too. Now we are so deep at forward, our defense is improving quickly, and we have a goalie lol. Flyers have plenty of assets that they can move to improve later on too.

Dobber Sports Sage

I think Smith was a great move. The reason he was brought in was for his leadership (at an affordable price). No one really expected him to make a run for the Norris. They expected him to put his body on the line every game and teach our young players what it took to win. I think he panned out perfect, and now that his contract is up, he has served his purpose and we move on.

Pitkanen...this guy reminds me so much of Janne Niinimaa. Both highly touted offensive defensemen from Philly (wore #44 also), both started declining and getting lazy, both traded to Edmonton. B) If you watched Pitkanen close, I dont think he was ever the same after his concussion (behind the net in the playoffs he got blindsided). I dont think he will ever turn out how people had hoped.

I love Niittymaki, but Biron is also a stud. I think both contracts are up after this coming season. Will be interesting to see how our crease looks two years from now...
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

Is the concussion you\'re talking about against Tampa or Toronto in the 03-04 season?

If it is, he had a pretty good season the year after the lockout...46 points in 58 games.

Dobber Sports Sage

I remember it clear as day. He was behind the net getting ready to move the puck out on his forehand side (goalie\'s left). Forechecker oncoming, Pitkanen was trying to avoid him and still move the puck. Simultaneously there was a forechecker coming behind him (I was screaming at my TV \"Watch out!\&quot and he never saw it coming. Shoulder to the forehead. Down goes Pitkanen. Concussion. Never has looked the same since.

Edit: Not 06...instead it was 2004 throwing out my whole concussion theory...sigh
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

Are you sure that was the 05-06 playoffs? They only played Buffalo that year.

I remember that hit on Pitkanen but I don\'t think it was against Buffalo.

Dobber Sports Sage

I\'m not 100% sure...The reason I thought it was that year was because I swear it happened after he had a really good season, then he played like sh*t...Which is why I thought 05-06.

I also was sketchy though because I thought I remembered the hit being against TO and I also noticed they only played Buffalo in 06. Maybe I got it wrong...time to do some heavier researching...
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

Damn! I found it. It was 2004. I remember the hit clear as day, but the year...not so much. I guess he got one more good year out after the concussion, but he still looks like he takes the shortbus to the games!
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

Haha yeah, he sure does. I think it was the groin injuries that hampered him during the 05-06 year. I think the biggest thing is how he lost his confidence. And he was relied on heavily during the 06-07 season when the Flyers were brutal. He was getting booed and he was playing terrible.

I think when he has no distractions, he will thrive. But since he is weak mentally, any little thing (last year was a contract year) can bring him down.

Next year I think he could breakout since he got a contract and is playing for a solid team that suits his game. We\'ll see.