Thread: Jays will NOT qualify Josh Johnson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Jays will NOT qualify Josh Johnson

Guess it was to be expected...if the article is right the price tag would have been $14.1M? Not what I want to be paying to an often injured and ineffective when healthy Josh Johnson.

Too bad, he had so much potential. Now it's time to watch him go tear it up with another team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...lifying-offer/

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Now it's time to watch him go tear it up with another team.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I bet he signs a cheap deal and winds up next year's version of Liriano or Burnett. Hell, maybe he goes to Pittsburgh to join their train of reclamation projects.

I still think you do the deal they made every time though. They still have a star in Reyes and an adequate Buehrle but it really all depends on what comes of those prospects.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Hallelujah !!

Go be someone elses over priced, oft-injured problem.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Didn't AA say he WAS going to send JJ a qualifying offer?

So either he sobered up or others from the front office convinced him not to do so.

They didn't qualify Rajai Davis and I think that's a really dumb move.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Didn't AA say he WAS going to send JJ a qualifying offer?

So either he sobered up or others from the front office convinced him not to do so.

They didn't qualify Rajai Davis and I think that's a really dumb move.
    I would say as far as JJ goes, there is probably some insider info that we dont know about as far as his injury goes. They obviously dont feel he is worth the money, and I think it was a smart move to cut him free. I just wish they would have dealt him mid season last year and got something in return for him when they had the chance.

As far as Rajai goes, I agree with you that they should have qualified him at the very least. I guess they feel Gose is going to replace him on the roster. They still have Melky signed for another season too.

I think I was more disappointed that they let Kawasaki walk then anything. That guy was a real quality clubhouse player and fan favorite.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Rajai is an interesting one. He is a speed demon and he hits left-handed pitching like nobody's business but he's also not good defensively (well, he's better out there than Melky).. and he also has shit for brains on the base paths. Some nights I love him and some nights I hate him.

I have a bad feeling that Gose is going to end up the same way (except he can't hit period and he is better defensively)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Just because Davis or Johnson wasn't qualified does not mean that they won't end up with the Jays. It was a good move to not qualify them because neither of these players is worth the $14 mil price tag. Rajai could be had for a 3rd of that and JJ could be had for around $8-10m.

With the starting rotation having spots to fill, I think AA will make a one year offer to JJ.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    Just because Davis or Johnson wasn't qualified does not mean that they won't end up with the Jays. It was a good move to not qualify them because neither of these players is worth the $14 mil price tag. Rajai could be had for a 3rd of that and JJ could be had for around $8-10m.

With the starting rotation having spots to fill, I think AA will make a one year offer to JJ.
    Is $14.1 M the price of all qualifying offers? I'm not familiar with the way it works.

If so then why the hell did we qualify Kelly Johnson a couple years ago. Ew.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post

Good point.

I wouldn't want JJ back at all though.

He's simply not the same player he once was. Velocity is down, command is off and his confidence level has never been lower.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I can see Johnson signing with San Francisco or San Diego.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Is $14.1 M the price of all qualifying offers? I'm not familiar with the way it works.

If so then why the hell did we qualify Kelly Johnson a couple years ago. Ew.

Every year they take an average of the top 125 salaries. This year that equals the $14.1m. Thats the price for all qualifying players.