Thread: Eric Staal with 2nd pick pick 2 (#12)?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Eric Staal with 2nd pick pick 2 (#12)?

Hi.

In multiyear rotoleague with 10 teams, you can keep 3 players againts 2 round penalty (e.g. someone drafted on round 4 last year will cost round 2 pick this year).

Roster: 2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 1util, 4bn.

Stats: G, A, +/-, PP, Shp, PIM, FW,BLK, Hits, Wins, saves, sv%, GAA, SHO.

I am keeping Taylor Hall and Tuukka Rask (thanks for good comments earlier!). 3rd keeper is still something that I am speculating.

This year I will be drafting 9th (picks#9 and #12 are my earliest picks) which means that Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, Ovie, Tavares, Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick are most likely goners by the time I get to pick.

If I keep Eric Staal he would cost me that pick #12 (2nd pick of 2nd round). Would he be worth keeping against that price?

If I keep Staal where to look with pick #9?

Other notable keeper options for my 3rd keeper are Antti Niemi (2nd pick of 6th round), Braden Holtby (9th pick of 9th round), Alex Pietroangelo (9th pick of 9th round) or Brent Seabrook (9th pick of 11th round).

My estimate is that Niemi will go with round 2 or 3 so using 6th rounder for him could be justified.

If I donīt keep Staal any good advice where to look with picks #9 and #12?
    (Giroux, Kane, Sedins, Datsyuk, Backstrom, Perry, Nash...)

Thanks guys!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Protecting Staal would be a gross error. Keep Niemi or Holtby and then draft 2 high end offensive guys with those first two picks - can you redraft Staal with that #9 pick if you really wanted him?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Protecting Staal would be a gross error. Keep Niemi or Holtby and then draft 2 high end offensive guys with those first two picks - can you redraft Staal with that #9 pick if you really wanted him?
    Full agreement here. Best value here is probably Niemi, imo. Then, no worries about Goalie...
    Last edited by animalchin; September 8, 2013 at 7:32 AM.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for a good comment! You are absolutely right, silly me. Using higher round pick for a goalie (Niemi or Holtby) as the 3rd keeper seems most sensible. I sure can use picks #9 or #12 for Staal.

Fair to assume that biggest guns are off the board by 9th pick. Who would be the top2 offensive guys to target with my picks - Giroux, P. Kane, Sedins (D+H), Datsyuk, Backstrom (WAS), Perry, Nash, someone else?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

On your list, I like Giroux the best by a fair margin, followed by Perry, Backstrom, Kane

Dobber Sports Novice

I like Giroux also, how would E. Staal compete with rest of the mentioned guys?