Thread: Keeper Points League. Strategy compared to H2H?

Default Keeper Points League. Strategy compared to H2H?

Hey, me again with the new keeper league team.

Looked into how last years season went in the league - I realized prior, that everyone had a point total assigned to them based on how well they performed, however I still had "H2H" in my head from the one year leagues I have done.

So usually, if I wanted an easy 2-0 lead in a week I would make sure that my pim/hit guys were playing and [would check pengwins fight prediction thread] the matchups were good! On a good week this would give me a 2-0 lead, thats it - no more, sometimes less.

With a POINTS league, I see that I could gain more than a 2 category league, I could essentially gain a huge lead in some categories but also be trailing severly in others.

Im honestly still trying to figure out how this will work (hopefully before the draft) but can you guys lend any advice or clarification on how you approach this kind of league week to week or if there is any particular strategy that helps?

I obviously want to excel in all categories (i think) and make sure I am out performing my opponent in certain areas and covering ground in others blabla, anyway just looking for some responses/thoughts/etc

Thanks (still waiting for dobber to grant me unlimited rep giving power for all the help I receive lol)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    Hey, me again with the new keeper league team.

Looked into how last years season went in the league - I realized prior, that everyone had a point total assigned to them based on how well they performed, however I still had "H2H" in my head from the one year leagues I have done.

So usually, if I wanted an easy 2-0 lead in a week I would make sure that my pim/hit guys were playing and [would check pengwins fight prediction thread] the matchups were good! On a good week this would give me a 2-0 lead, thats it - no more, sometimes less.

With a POINTS league, I see that I could gain more than a 2 category league, I could essentially gain a huge lead in some categories but also be trailing severly in others.

Im honestly still trying to figure out how this will work (hopefully before the draft) but can you guys lend any advice or clarification on how you approach this kind of league week to week or if there is any particular strategy that helps?

I obviously want to excel in all categories (i think) and make sure I am out performing my opponent in certain areas and covering ground in others blabla, anyway just looking for some responses/thoughts/etc

Thanks (still waiting for dobber to grant me unlimited rep giving power for all the help I receive lol)
    I think you may be misunderstanding how H2H points leagues work. There are no individual categories, rather you have one total based on the values assigned to each category and summed together. So, your matchup total will be e.g. 100-95 rather than 8-3 or 1-0.

The key I gather (as I've never played them) is understanding how specific categories affect your total, and use that to your advantage in a given week. So, it doesn't matter if you're ahead/behind in goals, hits etc, it's only the total that matters. You need to figure out which categories are more predictable, and use players that can accummulate this production to help you win the week. For example, on Sunday and you're trailing by a bit, do you put in your scorer or hit guy - which one would you feel more confident in starting. As hits are more predictable (usually), then you know you can gain there. However, the gains are larger with scoring so there's added risk.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I think you may be misunderstanding how H2H points leagues work. There are no individual categories, rather you have one total based on the values assigned to each category and summed together. So, your matchup total will be e.g. 100-95 rather than 8-3 or 1-0.

The key I gather (as I've never played them) is understanding how specific categories affect your total, and use that to your advantage in a given week. So, it doesn't matter if you're ahead/behind in goals, hits etc, it's only the total that matters. You need to figure out which categories are more predictable, and use players that can accummulate this production to help you win the week. For example, on Sunday and you're trailing by a bit, do you put in your scorer or hit guy - which one would you feel more confident in starting. As hits are more predictable (usually), then you know you can gain there. However, the gains are larger with scoring so there's added risk.
    Yeah true, maybe I didnt explain that bolded section properly haha.
    What I meant is if I had 50 points in PIM and he had 0 , that gives me +50 (without taking any other categories into consideration)!
    It looked like 395 points a week is what won most weeks, sometimes up to 450.

Other things to take into consideration is there are 13 transactions allowed per week (adds/drops) which should add about 45mins of fantasy hockey consumption a week lol
    Last edited by dooley89; August 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Agree.

I interpret this pool to be a collection of points from different types of statistics.
    Probably good to avoid using the word "category" altogether.

Just think of it as being one big melting pot of points from every type of statistic.

re: PIM/Hits
    1. With 13 transactions allowed per week, you can pretty much "stream" in players in TWO roster spots to acquire points for you daily.
    Goons are the best players to stream.
    There will be 15-20 fighters on your league's waiver wire and there is NO reason to get attached to any of them.
    Add one, then drop him after he plays... add another one, drop him after he plays [if your rules allow it].

Now... one thing to note.
    This is a great strategy... but don't give away this strategy too early.

The goal of a H2H league is this:
    1. Qualify for playoffs.
    2. Win the playoffs.

If you can "stream" players daily... you may not want to make that strategy obvious. Save it for the last day of a H2H weekly match-up, maybe grab some players on the last day of the match to help you. Also, you may want to go full-throttle on this strategy in a H2H playoff week at the end of the year.

Good luck.

The Wolverine

13 transactions allowed per week??? Wow. Such a high, random number chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    13 transactions allowed per week??? Wow. Such a high, random number chosen.
    Which fits perfectly for this random 'high amount of ridiculous variables' league haha
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Agree.

I interpret this pool to be a collection of points from different types of statistics.
    Probably good to avoid using the word "category" altogether.

Just think of it as being one big melting pot of points from every type of statistic.

re: PIM/Hits
    1. With 13 transactions allowed per week, you can pretty much "stream" in players in TWO roster spots to acquire points for you daily.
    Goons are the best players to stream.
    There will be 15-20 fighters on your league's waiver wire and there is NO reason to get attached to any of them.
    Add one, then drop him after he plays... add another one, drop him after he plays [if your rules allow it].

Now... one thing to note.
    This is a great strategy... but don't give away this strategy too early.

The goal of a H2H league is this:
    1. Qualify for playoffs.
    2. Win the playoffs.

If you can "stream" players daily... you may not want to make that strategy obvious. Save it for the last day of a H2H weekly match-up, maybe grab some players on the last day of the match to help you. Also, you may want to go full-throttle on this strategy in a H2H playoff week at the end of the year.

Good luck.
    very true, I feel like the sketchy commish already employs this strategy lol
    I am going to go through last years translog and see what he did!
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Padawan

Without seeing the clear stats pack it's hard to really advise.

BUT. Are you actually saying if you out pm a guy by 50 pm's you get 50 actual points?

If so your system is ripe for statistical manipulation.

At even 450 points to win here deep knowledge of your cats will be even more of a key.

I interesting league.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Quote Originally Posted by leaftodd View Post
    Without seeing the clear stats pack it's hard to really advise.

BUT. Are you actually saying if you out pm a guy by 50 pm's you get 50 actual points?

If so your system is ripe for statistical manipulation.

At even 450 points to win here deep knowledge of your cats will be even more of a key.

I interesting league.
    Well in this case, PIM are worth 1pt so yes lol

I honestly wondered if a team could pick up 20 players who each got 20pim a week and win the entire league start to finish lol
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO