Thread: Keeper dilemma

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Keeper dilemma

Need to keep 2 out of the 3:

C. Newton
    J. Charles
    AJ Green

What say you?
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Padawan

This is a tough one because I don't know your league scoring and all 3 are top 10 ranked at their positions going into drafts. I'm really big on Cam this year but the QB position is fairly deep.

Unless TD passes are 6 points, Keep Charles and AJ

Dobber Sports Genius

C. Newton and J. Charles for me.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    C. Newton and J. Charles for me.
    /\
    Agreed!

Dobber Sports Recruit

Keep charles and green. Newton is very over rated and the QB class is very deep, you can get a good QB half way through the draft. Charles is a stud, green is a stud, especially with the Bengals adding another weapon in Eifert to take the pressure off Green and Gresham.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hcbuffalo View Post
    Keep charles and green. Newton is very over rated and the QB class is very deep, you can get a good QB half way through the draft. Charles is a stud, green is a stud, especially with the Bengals adding another weapon in Eifert to take the pressure off Green and Gresham.
    I find myself leaning in this direction. Guys like Luck, Manning, Kaepernick, Brady, etc will all ne available. I didn't mention that I have Alfred Morris as well. He and Green I have closely ranked.

We have:

QB
    RB
    WR
    WR
    TE
    Flex
    Flex
    K
    D

WR is a very deep position. Although Green is a stud, it's hard to say Morris is not with Shannahan comparing him to Terrel Davis which in my mind makes him a workhorse.

Anyone else care to chime in?

W:

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    I find myself leaning in this direction. Guys like Luck, Manning, Kaepernick, Brady, etc will all ne available. I didn't mention that I have Alfred Morris as well. He and Green I have closely ranked.

We have:

QB
    RB
    WR
    WR
    TE
    Flex
    Flex
    K
    D

WR is a very deep position. Although Green is a stud, it's hard to say Morris is not with Shannahan comparing him to Terrel Davis which in my mind makes him a workhorse.

Anyone else care to chime in?

-WR is deep but there are only a handful of true studs and Green is one of them. He should only be dropped when his skills start to decline
    -I don't know what to makes of Morris. But I do know that last year he was insane. Those types of seasons are hard to duplicate and the read option shouldnt be as effective this season (RG3 knee and D's are too good to not adapt).My gut tells me that he finishes outside of the top 15 this year. See if you can package him and AJ for Calvin
    -Cam Newton is NOT overrated. Peyton would be the only qb I would consider (of the ones listed) taking ahead of Cam. But I still wouldn't keep a QB over 2 studs at RB and WR.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    -WR is deep but there are only a handful of true studs and Green is one of them. He should only be dropped when his skills start to decline
    -I don't know what to makes of Morris. But I do know that last year he was insane. Those types of seasons are hard to duplicate and the read option shouldnt be as effective this season (RG3 knee and D's are too good to not adapt).My gut tells me that he finishes outside of the top 15 this year. See if you can package him and AJ for Calvin
    -Cam Newton is NOT overrated. Peyton would be the only qb I would consider (of the ones listed) taking ahead of Cam. But I still wouldn't keep a QB over 2 studs at RB and WR.
    I hear you Whale. Thinking outloud: Only thing about Cam that has me stuck on him is he is essentially a another RB who gets RZ opportunities to run in. But dam if Luck doesnt too! LoL. I may jave to go Green and Charles like you're stating. Thanks Whale.

W:

Dobber Sports Stud

Green and Charles, me thinks.

Green I think is a given
    And I really like Newton, but...........

The league is implementing quite a few 2rb situations. Jamaal Charles is still the man, so will get the majority of touches
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    Green and Charles, me thinks.

Green I think is a given
    And I really like Newton, but...........

The league is implementing quite a few 2rb situations. Jamaal Charles is still the man, so will get the majority of touches
    Because of the league implementing timeshares in the backfield, we went from 2RB to 1 and added an additional FLEX. I think I will gamble on letting Cam go. Half of the teams are keeping QBs so I can try to reup in round 3 or take the next wave of QB in rd 4. One guy in our league is keeping Doug Martin and Marshawn Lynch. If he were to get Cam, I would throw up. lol

W:

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hcbuffalo View Post
    Thinking the same. As good as Newton is, I'd keep AJ and Jamal.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    -Green will not decline anytime soon, he's 25 right?
    -I think Morris declines. D-schemes are gonna be stacking the box for threat of Morris or RG. Factor in that Morris does not catch balls making him less valuable in a PPR system. Sorry could not see if this was standard or PPR. If its PPR all the more.
    -The top 6 is obviously Rogers, Brees, Brady, Newton, Manning and Ryan in that order IMO. I'd rather have a top stud at a position than a 5th or 6th.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
    -Green will not decline anytime soon, he's 25 right?
    -I think Morris declines. D-schemes are gonna be stacking the box for threat of Morris or RG. Factor in that Morris does not catch balls making him less valuable in a PPR system. Sorry could not see if this was standard or PPR. If its PPR all the more.
    -The top 6 is obviously Rogers, Brees, Brady, Newton, Manning and Ryan in that order IMO. I'd rather have a top stud at a position than a 5th or 6th.
    I've really taken my time to think this through. I am rolling with Charles and Green. I can get a QB like RG3,Brady, Stafford, Kaepernick (on my roster currently), Luck, Romo. 5 teams are keeping QBs and 5 teams will not.

I agree about Morris. I think he slumps some and people will be ready for him this year.
    Last edited by One87; August 9, 2013 at 1:12 AM.

W:

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    I've really taken my time to think this through. I am rolling with Charles and Green. I can get a QB like RG3,Brady, Stafford, Kaepernick (on my roster currently), Luck, Romo. 5 teams are keeping QBs and 5 teams will not.

I agree about Morris. I think he slumps some and people will be ready for him this year.
    Good discussion in this thread (and, for whatever it's worth, I think you made the right decision). Of the QBs you list though, I'd try very hard to land one of them who is not named Tony Romo (I think I dislike him more than most though).

Also, I found the Alfred Morris discussion interesting. I'm also a bit worried about him this season, particularly in relation to his ADP. The guy has talent, but as stated, he's not going to be taking defenses by surprise anymore. And lest we forget, but I STILL don't entirely trust Shanahan. There have been like 5 different "this guy is kinda like Terrell Davis" RBs in Washington in the 3 years Shanny has coached there: Portis, Helu, Hightower, Royster, Torain, Morris, and I might be missing some. Portis was amazing and lost the distinction by injury, but Shanny isn't known for showing consistent love to the same RB for all that long.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Good discussion in this thread (and, for whatever it's worth, I think you made the right decision). Of the QBs you list though, I'd try very hard to land one of them who is not named Tony Romo (I think I dislike him more than most though).

Also, I found the Alfred Morris discussion interesting. I'm also a bit worried about him this season, particularly in relation to his ADP. The guy has talent, but as stated, he's not going to be taking defenses by surprise anymore. And lest we forget, but I STILL don't entirely trust Shanahan. There have been like 5 different "this guy is kinda like Terrell Davis" RBs in Washington in the 3 years Shanny has coached there: Portis, Helu, Hightower, Royster, Torain, Morris, and I might be missing some. Portis was amazing and lost the distinction by injury, but Shanny isn't known for showing consistent love to the same RB for all that long.

Funny you say Romo. He's a solid reg season QB. And he has THE easiest schedule of ANY fantasy QB. That plus the emergence of Bryant, the second best fantasy WR, who may end up passing CJ this year, has me thinking he has a surprisingly good year.

As far as Morris goes, I think he has 3 things working against him: 1) He won't be abke to catch teams by surprise 2) He has the 26th hardest schedule among 32 teams and 3) If RG3 is hindered, it makes their offense 1-dimensional (see 1). Teams will T off on him.

Here's the funny thing about my players...

Experts have Newton in the top 5 QBs. Ironically, he has the 5th easiest QB schedule.Charles is top 3 with the 13th easiest schedule (a favorable playoff schedule) and Green is top 3 with the 15th easiest schedule. May seem minimal to some, but when all 3 players are top 5 respectively at their position, SOS is a factor that should be considered. $500.00 is on the line. LOL
    Last edited by One87; August 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM.

W: