Thread: Tyler Myers

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Tyler Myers

Do you think Myers will ever get back to the point totals he scored in his rookie season??

He has gone from 48, 37, 23, to 8 points in four seasons in Buffalo..

Have you ever seen anything like this before?? Will he bounce back now that Lindy Ruff is long gone??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

I guess it's totally possible.

I don't watch a lot of Sabres games but the few I did see, he really looks lost out there at times. Weak defensively and struggles to even handle the puck.

Personally I think a good stint in the AHL would do wonders for his game but not sure they are willing to go to that extreme to help him out.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think Myers will be a 25-30pt defensemen going forward.

Dobber Sports Legend

Myers has the talent to be a 40-45 guy but needs a change of scenery bad. Even with Ruff gone, I think his confidence and mojo has been flushed in Buffalo.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

^^I agree with the above

Myers could be that all star fantasy defenseman force he showed or he could be a bust, and I think the way he goes depends on if he gets out of Buffalo.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Bronz View Post
    ^^I agree with the above

Myers could be that all star fantasy defenseman force he showed or he could be a bust, and I think the way he goes depends on if he gets out of Buffalo.
    One has to believe that Buffalo bringing back Tallinder is all about getting Myers back on his game. Myers was fantasitc with Tallinder, but it's gone all downhill since Tallinder left for NJ.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for Myers getting traded. His cap hit is way too hard for other teams to absorb, based on how he is playing.

In addition to Tallinder coming back, Myers should be helped by the loss of Leopold (and to a less extent Reighr). The competition for a top-4 spot is now really low. After Erhoff, there's not much else in Buffalo. I don't see McNabb, McBain, Pysky knocking him out, and the new kids aren't ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I think Myers will be a 25-30pt defensemen going forward.
    This year, definitely. Long term....say, two seasons beyond this one I see him gradually getting back to his 40pt self. But Rolston is asking Myers to focus on playing a much simpler game. Effectively stripping him down to rebuild him. I see Myers playing a more shutdown type game this season.

Pysyk is the one who intrigues me. He may not start out on the PP, but I think he eventually winds up on first unit w/Ehrhoff. If his puck moving skills are as sublime as being reported, that will happen sooner rather than later.
    @SmittysRant

On the decline since his Calder trophy ....

I want gamble on it as a primary D, but it's still a good risk for a lower pick or maybe a low profile trade.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The problem is not regression or lack of skills with Myers, the problem is that Ruff wanted him to be something that he is not. Due to his size the Sabers wanted him to be a physical shut-down defender that plays against the other teams top lines which is not the style of game that he plays effectively. In his rookie season he was constantly join the rush and was not scared to make the mistakes that come with being a offense first Dman, but because Ruff wanted him in a different role he had trouble adjusting as he was being asked to change his style of game. If the new coaches ask him to be that same shut down type player than I would expect that his offensive numbers continue to be dismal, but if he is allowed to go back to his offense first mind set then I would suggest that 40-45 points is not unreasonable.
    There are things known, and things Unknown. In between are The Doors...

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mrmojorisin View Post
    The problem is not regression or lack of skills with Myers, the problem is that Ruff wanted him to be something that he is not. Due to his size the Sabers wanted him to be a physical shut-down defender that plays against the other teams top lines which is not the style of game that he plays effectively.
    I don't see that changing to be honest, not on Buffalo. This kid desperately needs a change of scenery / situation but with a high cap hit he is very hard to trade considering the way he's played recently. With Ehrhoff, McBain, Ristolainen and Zadorov in the mix, I don't see Myers having the green light to carry the play or running a top PP unit anytime soon. Unfortunately I own him and still have my fingers crossed for a trade.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Ehrhoff will be their blue liner general. Since Campbell, back in the days, there is no Buffalo "D" who went on a stable mid-term offensive production (more than 2 years close to 40-50 pts). I don't see that happen with Myers with Ehrhoff around and his big contract !

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Tallinder re-acquisition should certainly help him.
    A defensive pair usually knows damn well which D man is going to pinch/rush and how well the other D-man can cover his ass.

In Myers big rookie season, it was pretty much all Myers-Tallinder and Myers high even-strength points suggest he was able to be more offensive-minded. Probably not that way in past years.

Although I said 25-30pts on July 12th... I'm not sure I was aware (then) that Tallinder was back (even though that signing was July 7th).

I'd probably shift on my Myers prediction to 28-32pts.

Dobber Sports Guru

One issue is that Buffalo as a team just doesnt score as much as they did when Myers had his best 2 seasons.

Buffalo Goals per Game:

09-10 = 2.82 GF/G (10th in league)
    10-11 = 2.93 GF/G (9th in league)
    11-12 = 2.57 GF/G (17th in league)
    12-13 = 2.46 GF/G (22nd in league)

Also Myers PP TOI/Game has decreased since his great rookie season

09-10 - 2:58 PP TOI/G (1st on team)
    10-11 - 2:47 PP TOI/G (1st on team)
    11-12 - 2:25 PP TOI/G (3rd on team)
    12-13 - 2:12 PP TOI/G (2nd on team)