Thread: {Re-Signing} Patrice Bergeron

Dobber Sports Monster

Default {Re-Signing} Patrice Bergeron

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD 5m

Bergeron deal done. 8 years, $6.5m per. Begins with 14-15 season.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 2m

8 years / 52M$ contract extension for Patrice Bergeron. #RDS

Dobber Sports Icon

From bruins.nhl.com

Boston, MA - Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today, July 12, that the club has signed forward Patrice Bergeron to an eight-year contract extension through the 2021-22 season. Bergeron’s salary is worth an annual cap figure of $6,500,000.

Bergeron and Chiarelli will be available to media via conference call on Friday, July 12 at 12:30 p.m. ET (follow @NHLBruins on Twitter for updates).

In 42 regular season games in 2013, Bergeron notched 10 goals (tied for fourth on the team) and 22 assists (second on the team) for 32 points (tied for third on the team) with a team leading plus-24 rating (sixth in the NHL). He led the NHL in faceoff percentage in 2013, winning draws at a 62.1% rate (549-for-844), and was plus or even in 37 of his 42 games. Over the last two seasons, the centerman has combined for a 60.3% faceoff win percentage and plus-60 rating, which ranks first overall in the NHL during that span.

In the 2013 postseason, the 27-year-old accumulated nine goals (tied for first on the team and tied for second in the NHL) and six assists for 15 points (tied for third on the team and tied fifth in the NHL). Bergeron won puck drops at a 61.5% clip in the playoffs, which led all skaters, winning 304-of-494 draws. The Bruins Alternate Captain earned two game winning goals in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, including a series-clinching overtime goal against Toronto in Game 7 of the Quarterfinal and a Game 3 OT tally versus Pittsburgh in the Conference Final. Bergeron’s three career playoff overtime goals tie him with Mel Hill and Terry O’Reilly for the most in club history.

Bergeron won the 2011-12 Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward and was a finalist for the award this season (finished second overall). Also in 2013, he was named the recipient of the King Clancy Trophy, which is awarded annually to an NHL player who best exemplifies leadership qualities both on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.

In 579 NHL games – all with the Bruins – Bergeron has amassed 153 goals and 280 assists for 433 points with 180 penalty minutes and a plus-70 rating. Bergeron has registered 29 game winning goals from 2003-13, including a career-high six in both the 2005-06 and 2006-07 season.

The Bruins centerman has skated in 83 career postseason games with Boston, accruing 20 goals and 37 helpers for 57 points with five game winning goals. Bergeron was a member of the 2011 Cup Championship team, contributing six goals (tied for seventh in the NHL) and 14 assists (tied for second in the NHL) in 23 games with a plus-15 rating (second in the NHL).

The 6’2’’, 195-pound native of Ancienne-Lorette, Quebec was selected by the Boston Bruins in the second round (45th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Great One

Worth every penny

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^I second this.
    I love players like Bergeron. They prove that there is more to value than just "point production".

REAL NHL value.
    Patrice. Bergeron.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

with Rask contract and now Bergeron Boston got two long terme contract for their best player
    goog sign for sure
    I like Bergeron's play, he work very hard evry time he's on the ice
    One of the most complete player in the NHL at this moment

Dobber Sports Wizard

Excellent value in real NHL. Not so great in salary cap leagues using the usual scoring categories.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Bergeron is one classy dude.. He could have demanded the same contract as Rask, but he didn't.. Great signing for a great player..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Monster

Next captain after Chara.

Dobber Sports Sage

One of the top 5-10 centers in the league imo. Great deal!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Sage

Good deal for Boston. If I were a fan I'd feel better about this deal than the Rask signing. Wonder how 6.5 M per looks when he is 35-36 years old.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov