Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Rumor] Malone\'s rights to CBJ

Dobber Sports Expert

Default [Rumor] Malone\'s rights to CBJ

double post - congratulations to me!

Dobber Sports Ninja

repenttokyo wrote:
    keep in mind that the career of a professional athlete is very, very short. yes, it\'s easy to live off of 2 million dollars in a year, but it\'s not easy to live off of 2 million dollars your entire life if something bad happens to you in a high-risk sport. Sports players only have a very short window to maximize your earnings. then it\'s golf and hopefully good investments for them for the rest of their lives.
    Wouldn\'t that be too bad if they had to work in another field after 35. How about working in the fields?

Of course you are right repent, a few hockey players have a small window of opportunity to make some serious coin as professional athletes.

I think the point of this argument is whether someone should accept less money for a better chance at a championship and personal satisfaction.

The alternative could have you taking the highest offer and possibly being in a position where you are uncomfortable and unhappy, but richer.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Expert

The Comish wrote:
    repenttokyo wrote:
    keep in mind that the career of a professional athlete is very, very short. yes, it\'s easy to live off of 2 million dollars in a year, but it\'s not easy to live off of 2 million dollars your entire life if something bad happens to you in a high-risk sport. Sports players only have a very short window to maximize your earnings. then it\'s golf and hopefully good investments for them for the rest of their lives.
    I think the point of this argument is whether someone should accept less money for a better chance at a championship and personal satisfaction.

The alternative could have you taking the highest offer and possibly being in a position where you are uncomfortable and unhappy, but richer.
    that\'s true, but again, there is a fundamental difference. Most careers in the standard work world involve a payoff later in life - retirement, or a senior position with large compensation. Sports are the exact opposite. The payoff all comes during the prime years of an athlete\'s life, usually topping out around 30. 30 is where most professionals in the working world hit their stride.

So it\'s analagous to saying \"would you work hard at a job you didn\'t love with the chance of moving up to a job you didn\'t through your hard work?\". For hockey players, it\'s \"would you play in columbus for 5 years in your 20\'s if it meant your family would never have to worry about their security ever again?\"

I agree that balance is important - but there are many things on both sides of the scale, and only a very short time to accomplish all that you can accomplish as a hockey player. Even the longest career is only around 20 years - a drop in the bucket in a person\'s life.

Dobber Sports Wizard

You do not turn dowm 4 million dollars. Even aking home 2.5 million of it invested wisely and you will never worry about money.
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Malone is making a mistake. If you were serious about wanting to win the Cup then you would have to weigh your options accordingly. He might have to sign for less now so that the team can sign the other pieces. If he did sign, for less with Pittsburgh, he gets the opportunity to win the Cup and to increase his value.

Carter. not signing with the Canucks, is one of the best things that has happened to that team.

Banned

I think what it boils down to is knowing what you are truly worth as a player and not having a big ego about it and letting that devil agent on your shoulder talk you into something stupid. If I\'m Ryan Malone and I\'m honest with myself I sign a $10 mil contract (4 years @ $2.5 mil) because I realize that that\'s about what I\'m worth (maybe he can get 3 mil/yr but its doubtful with the Pens cap situation). I also realize that I\'ll get to play with some of the best players in the game who will pad my numbers and make me look like more of a power forward than I really am. And I get an honest shot at the cup, thats worth taking slightly less IMO, esp when you get to stay in your home town. After your contract runs out you can take your shot at a big payday on a shitty team if you want but you gotta realize that you would kick yourself forever if you went to some shithole like Columbus and spent May and June on the golf course watching the Pens hoist the cup.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Malone will get much, much more than 3 mill/season. I think he sees upwards of 4.5-5 per.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Banned

angus wrote:
    Malone will get much, much more than 3 mill/season. I think he sees upwards of 4.5-5 per.
    from the Pens??? explain how that works if they also keep Malkin, MAF, Staal and perhaps even Hossa?

Dobber Sports Ace

mister_mcgoo wrote:
    angus wrote:
    from the Pens??? explain how that works if they also keep Malkin, MAF, Staal and perhaps even Hossa?
    i believe angus means if he doesn\'t sign with the pens he\'ll get much more than 2.5 mil per, if i\'m not mistaken. there\'s no way in hell the pens give him that much money just so malkin, crosby and hossa can bank pucks in off of him.
    13 team yahoo roto league keep 17/25
    G,A,P,PPP,PIM,SHP,SOG,FW,W,GAA,SV%,SHO

c-tavares, krejci, gourde, lowry, czarnik, zacha
    lw-lehkonen, vesey, r.smith, hinostroza, heinen
    rw-zuccarello, duclair, sheary, d.brown, nichushkin
    d-letang, krug, gostisbehere, doughty, lindell, slavin, cholowski
    g-fleury, holtby, hutton
    ir-pacioretty, grzelcyk
    farm-batherson, farabee, jokiharju, kaprizov, hawryluk, n.roy, terry, t.thompson, tufte, vesalainen, walman, c.white, bracco

Dobber Sports Wizard

enfuego wrote:
    there\'s no way in hell the pens give him that much money just so malkin, crosby and hossa can bank pucks in off of him.[/quote]

LOL, well put enfuego

I can\'t see anyone giving Malone for than 3.5-4.0m

Dobber Sports Wizard

MolsonX wrote:
    enfuego wrote:
    there\'s no way in hell the pens give him that much money just so malkin, crosby and hossa can bank pucks in off of him.
    LOL, well put enfuego
    I can\'t see anyone giving Malone for than 3.5-4.0m[/quote]

Have you seen the crazy contracts owners have given out before? It is not out of the question. Even with the cap they get crazy.
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Ace

yeah, i don\'t think it\'s outside the realm of possibility that someone gives him 3.5 - 5, if that\'s what he\'s asking.

as sin bin\'s got it, owners get a little nutso around july 1. especially once the first few dominoes of free agency start falling.
    13 team yahoo roto league keep 17/25
    G,A,P,PPP,PIM,SHP,SOG,FW,W,GAA,SV%,SHO

c-tavares, krejci, gourde, lowry, czarnik, zacha
    lw-lehkonen, vesey, r.smith, hinostroza, heinen
    rw-zuccarello, duclair, sheary, d.brown, nichushkin
    d-letang, krug, gostisbehere, doughty, lindell, slavin, cholowski
    g-fleury, holtby, hutton
    ir-pacioretty, grzelcyk
    farm-batherson, farabee, jokiharju, kaprizov, hawryluk, n.roy, terry, t.thompson, tufte, vesalainen, walman, c.white, bracco

Dobber Sports Wizard

I agree that it is possible he could get that kind of money.

It just baffles my mind that it could happen.

It\'s no secret that Malone is 45-50pt player if he leaves the Pens and every GM in the league must know this. At least they should if they know what they\'re doing.

I don\'t question that Malone brings other intangibles to the table - but 5m/year would be a shocker. If it happens, good for him. How can you not take that ctr even if it does mean giving up a chance at a mini-dynasty with Sid,Geno and Co.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Look at Hartnell last year. With the cap going up, I think Malone will get 5 per.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified