Thread: Best Player in the Game....

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Best Player in the Game....

I know, I know. Crosby.

My problem is we usually distinguish the best player in terms of position.

Why do we automatically have to choose a best player overall and always pick the highest scorer as the best player?

I kind of accept its Crosby even though I\'m a huge Ovechkin fan.

He won 4 awards last night. I don\'t think Crosby will do that (mainly also since there\'s no award for most assists).

My point is, perhaps we shouldn\'t pick the highest scorer and go with whoever is the most dominant at THEIR game.

Ovechkin is the best scorer. Sets a new record for goals by a LW. The 60 goal barrier hasn\'t been broken in like 12 years. He\'s like 21. Literally carries his horrible team into the playoffs.

I\'m not saying Crosby won\'t be even better and get 140 points or so and won\'t carry his team, I just think the title of \"best player\" gets thrown around merely on most points.

I\'d also like to point out that Lundqvist is easily shaping out to be the best goalie and possibly player in the game. 3 Vezina nominations in a row and he\'s been in the league for 3 years. Wow.

As well, what about Lidstrom. What a classy, smart, determined hockey player. We may not see a defenseman like that for many years. Totally dominates his position with what seems like such little effort. He\'s also managed to increase his scoring over the years. Simply awesome.

Aside from Lidstrom and Lundqvist, I believe it should be Ovechkin b/c what he has over the other 3 players I\'ve mentioned is that he will totally reshape and redefine what it means to be the best LW ever. The other three will certainly be debatable.

Thoughts?
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I totally agree with your Lidstrom arguments, he should have at least been a finalist for the Hart the last two season, you can\'t tell me that there\'s anyone in the league that\'s more valuable to their team than Lidstrom. I like to compare him with Kevin Garnett in basketball (sorry to bring up the B word) he does everything well, he\'s extremely consistant and you just never have to worry about him showing up, he\'s just a rock.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Best LW: Ovy, by a lot.
    Best D: Lidstrom, by a lot

Best C: Probably Crosby, though Malkin is incredibly close to passing him, IMO. Spezza, Thornton and Lecav are still in the discussion.

Best RW: Iginla?

I strongly disagree on best goalie. Lundy is alright, but I think Brodeur, Nabokov, Kipper and Luongo are all better, and that Giguere is comparable.
    12 Team H2H Keeper League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    Start: C (2), LW (2), RW (2), D (4), G(2)
    Keep 3 F, 1 D, 1 G

C- H. Sedin, J. Thornton
    LW- Ovechkin, Heatley (RW), McDonald (C)
    RW- Giroux, Knuble, Skinner
    D- Doughty, Visnovsky, Karlsson
    G- Bryzgalov, Thomas, Rask, Bobrovsky, Pavelec, Leighton (IR)

Dobber Sports Guru

Zetterberg.

If i had to choose one forward to lead my team to the Stanley Cup, its that guy... and I\'ve been saying this as long as I\'ve been on dobberhockey.

Dobber Sports Icon

CURRENTLY the best players at said positions are:
    C - Crosby
    whatever.

LW - Ovechkin
    best LW ever in the history of the sport. Period.

RW - Iginla
    the number of dimensions that he impacts every game he plays is amazing

D - Lidstrom
    obviously

G - Luongo
    he\'s one of the few debatable goalies that has looked great on a bad team... until Brodeur or Lundqvist play for teams that give up 30 shots on goal minimum per game, I won\'t even listen to arguments that they are better.

In a few years however:
    C - Malkin
    the league brass wants to market crosby and everything, but Malkin\'s size makes all the difference. He\'ll be more durable in the long run

LW - Ovechkin
    same. There\'s not a left wing that will come around possibly in our lifetimes that will break the positional records he sets

RW - Iginla
    until he retires, he will continue to dominate his position, while bringing a tremendous amount of class and leadership to his team

D - Phaneuf
    without a doubt the most amazing defender to enter the league since ray bourque or paul coffey. He\'s one of the most dominating defenders in his own end, and has scored more goals since he joined the league than any young defender since Ray and Paul. He is already becoming the next Lidstrom... except he actually scores. Just a tremendous defender.

G - Fleury (or Luongo)
    This is tough because these guys will battle in the coming years like Luongo and Brodeur battle now. Fleury is just incredible and he\'s only 23. Show me another goalie that can be as dominant as fleury can be at such a young age. It\'s a very rare thing. Luongo is luongo. Price will be something to watch 3-5 years down the road too (but it\'s too soon to consider him in this category yet).
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Expert

I think a very strong argument could be made for Lidstrom being the best player in the game. He\'s a player who does not make mistakes. How rare is that? Especially considering how much responsibility he has.

Banned

lanky you summed up my thoughts really well, +1 for you

This is a good qst, I get in arguments with people all the time about Crosby and its really sorta stupid because in general I\'m a Crosby supporter, I\'m just not ready to crown him the next great until I see some more from him. And as an Ovie owner I can firmly say that I\'m ecstatic to have him over Crosby even tho I probably would have taken Crosby had I picked earlier. As you guys pointed out, Ovechkin is a pure goal scorer, incredible talent and passion and he singlehandedly dragged his shitty team into the playoffs, thats the type of guy I build my team around if I\'m a GM

Dobber Sports Expert

lanky522 wrote:

In a few years however:
    C - Malkin
    the league brass wants to market crosby and everything, but Malkin\'s size makes all the difference. He\'ll be more durable in the long run
    what exactly do you mean when you say his size? he\'s a few inches taller than crosby, yes - but he is also a year older than crosby and 20 lbs lighter, giving crosby the size advantage...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wade Belak
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

Dobber Sports Expert

honduranhockey wrote:
    Wade Belak
    welcome back!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks on behalf of Belak Nation! He\'s the Cadillac of 4th liners!
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

Dobber Sports Icon

repenttokyo wrote:
    lanky522 wrote:

In a few years however:
    C - Malkin
    what exactly do you mean when you say his size? he\'s a few inches taller than crosby, yes - but he is also a year older than crosby and 20 lbs lighter, giving crosby the size advantage...
    I know that they are pretty much the same size (except for a few inches here and a few pounds there), but I just think that Malkin plays \"bigger\" on the ice than Crosby does (in the same way that Theo Fleury played a bigger game than Zdeno Chara does imo )

Malkin goes places and does things that I haven\'t seen Crosby do.

I think that Crosby will be great, and may ultimately be the better point producer (maybe)... but i think malkin will be the better player.

I can\'t really explain it and I don\'t really have facts to back it up, but Malkin just impresses me a little more than crosby every time I watch pittsburgh play (even if he doesn\'t get on the scoresheet and crosby does).
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Rookie

Most exciting scorers
    Kovalchuk and Ovechkin

Most elusive player
    Datsyuk (also sickest hands)

Best all round player
    Iginla

Player I would want to build my team around
    Crosby or Zetterberg or Jonathan Toews (I think Toews may be the next Joe Sakic and I would have built my team around Sakic in his prime)

To build a team around a player I consider work ethic, talent, leadership and attitude.

Dobber Sports Expert

lanky522 wrote:
    repenttokyo wrote:
    lanky522 wrote:

In a few years however:
    C - Malkin
    I know that they are pretty much the same size (except for a few inches here and a few pounds there), but I just think that Malkin plays \"bigger\" on the ice than Crosby does (in the same way that Theo Fleury played a bigger game than Zdeno Chara does imo )

Malkin goes places and does things that I haven\'t seen Crosby do.

I think that Crosby will be great, and may ultimately be the better point producer (maybe)... but i think malkin will be the better player.

I can\'t really explain it and I don\'t really have facts to back it up, but Malkin just impresses me a little more than crosby every time I watch pittsburgh play (even if he doesn\'t get on the scoresheet and crosby does).
    i agree that if malkin increases his weight he could definitely be more of a force in the years to come. i see him get knocked off of pucks that he really shouldn\'t at his size, and i know that as he matures that will happen less and less.

Dobber Sports Stud

This is rhetorical on my part.

1A: Ovechkin
    1B: Crosby
    1C: Malkin

As a fan, I like Ovechkin\'s game better. These 3 players are going to be the \'elite\' players in the NHL for the next 5 years, at least. Their play will put them at another level. They may be joined by others but they will be in the group.