Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rumor (Strachan): Jokinen to CBJ

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Rumor (Strachan): Jokinen to CBJ

Brule, over Zherdev?

Zherdev has some grit to his game, and is a great defensive player. He played center in Russia and you can see that in his game. He also is only two years older than Brule (Nov 84 to Jan 87). Brule had one (ONE) goal last year in 61 games with the Jackets. Hell, he tied Mr. Dobber Wade Belak in goals.

I saw him play a lot here in Vancouver, and still think he has a spot in the league. Zherdev is a top line winger, now. He plays well in a structured system and is a reliable player defensively. At this point, Brule is barely a depth player.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Guru

true, you\'re absolutely correct, at this point.

i guess i place an awful lot of my opinions on what i witness first hand. the columbus game i saw this past season is where i draw a lot of my opinions for these jacket players from.

in that game, brule (i thought) played with a ton of energy and tenacity. he was all over the place. he seemed to really struggle with his finish though, which certanly explains his single goal. i can see him developing into a kesler or fisher type.

zherdev was dazzling one moment, and then would disappear the next. he played a good period and a half before going completely invisible. great moves, but i was not impressed. reminds me of huselius a little bit in that regard. but i guess hitchcock agreed with you, angus, as brule was the one to be benched in the 3rd period, not zherdev.

i won\'t argue with you too hard about your claim that zherdev is a solid defensive player... i\'m sure he learned a lot from hitch this year and i can see how that would factor into his resurgence. but i just did not personally see any evidence of it (at all!) in that game. i will look closer next season.

anyway, i finally got around to reading that portzline article. for people too lazy, here\'s his last sentence:
    -- Olli Jokinen is NOT going to join the Blue Jackets. Just cross his name off the list right now, folks. Trust me on this one.

-- Aaron Portzline
    i trust that guy, so i\'m inclined to believe him.

Dobber Sports Icon

Why does florida even bother trading? What\'s next...? Bouwmeester to Detroit for 1st round pick (yay 32nd overall!!!) and a bag of pucks?

Didn\'t they learn from their luongo trade? Auld and Bertuzzi were both a waste. Why would they trade their Captain and best player for prospects? Is this some sort of half assed rebuilding attempt? Because while i\'m all for rebuilding, i think it\'s important to have a veteran guy in town to help the younger guys (fedorov for the Caps, Sakic for the Avs, Roberts for the Pens, etc...)

The panthers\' rebuilding plans are better served with Jokinen on the team... not off it.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Pro

I would believe Portzline over Strachan as well. I know CLB needs a center, so the question is do they feel that Brule or Brassard are going to be the guy?

Marleau has been discussed, but what about a Rolston type player. He would be ideal for CLB, as he would solve their PP and SH issues in one sweep.
    Speaking of Wade Belak... Maybe he is lonely in FLA.
    Why don\'t the leafs package Sundin (sign and trade) and their first rounder for Jokinen and some youth. Florida gets a leader, Toronto gets their franchise center...
    and I could sleep better at night.

Dobber Sports Pro

Very few teams desparate for a center have a name they can give to go in the other direction. Off the top of my head, the one that makes a lot of sense to me is Jokinen for Gaborik, as both are unhappy with their current coaches to the point of not extending their contracts when those are up. Florida can absorb the loss of a C, going with Weiss and Matthias as 1-2, but could use a top line RW, moving Horton to the 2nd line in Zednik\'s place. And Minny have been crying out for a top C and have Bouchard to cover at RW1. There\'d be add-ons on both sides, but that\'s the basis.

CLB could only do a package; Brule+6th overall+one of Chimera/Malhorta/Fritsche+decent prospect, with some veteran or piece that didn\'t work out a la Dupuis going from Florida with Jokinen (they\'ve got plenty of those) - I\'m using the Hossa deal as the model here. Not sure if CLB would be willing to pay this price. CLB are better off using their biggest asset - cap room - in trading for a C, which is why Marleau and especially Elias make much more sense to me.

Brule over Zherdev - I\'ll take a guy who wants it too much over a guy who doesn\'t always want it enough any time. A wild horse can be tames, a moody horse can\'t be trusted ...
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...