Thread: Kunitz: is he a James Neal?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Kunitz: is he a James Neal?

Kunitz is obviously a hot commodity right now, and for good reason: he's so far ahead in the pack that a trade for him can single handedly win a pool. The question is, though, whether he should be treated as a one-hit wonder, or if he's something greater than that. I think we can all agree that he won't be consistently matching Stamkos numbers over the next few years. But will he drop back to a 60 pt player? Will he be a top 15 player like Neal? Kunitz might be the most important player of the year, and it's important that we figure out what he's worth. All thoughts and comments welcome.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Kunitz is probably helping a lot of crappy teams win their leagues this season by himself. It is alarming that he finally figured out how to play with Crosby but everyone expected this production from him 4 yrs ago when he came over from Anh. It is also alarming that he's finally peaking at age 33. If you look back at the beginning of the year, no sensible fantasy GM in their right mind would have taken Kunitz until the later half of the draft cause he's never been able to produce the big numbers with Crosby, till now.

My guess would be no, he's not able to keep this up in future years, even with Crosby. I look at Dupuis from last year, similar break out at similar age and he's not the same this year. The Sedins broke out big couple years ago and came back to reality rather quickly. Age is against him and any possible PIT trade might take production away from him as well. I would still keep him if you have him but I might shy away from trading for him especially if there's a high cost.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

For a middle of the pack team like in our pool, he's a crazy sell high player. Wether he keeps it up or not, there is so much risk and so much to gain for moving him. If crosby bumps his head...oh boy, kunitz becomes Steve Ott in a hurry. WHile playing with the best player in the world, he will be near elite. I know I'd be selling...and hopefully for elite talent.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Giant

Crosby made Colby Armstrong look like a superstar during his rookie season (40 points in 47 games). We can all say that Kunitz' talent is not at the same level as his production is, but as long as he is playing with Sid, you can expect good numbers for the next few years. I can see him getting around 70 points per year...

Neal is a great player, but his amazing numbers can only be achieved with the help of a great feeder like Malkin.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

James Neal was a quality forward before he ever landed in Pittsburgh. That trade with Dallas was so one-sided it wasn't even funny. He also exploded to the next level almost before he reached the team facility in Pittsburgh.

Kunitz, on the other hand, has taken the past four or five years or whatever to figure it out, after most poolies had pretty much given up on him.

Neal >>> Kunitz IMHO.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Let's just say that Kunitz is Matt Moulsining is way to fantasy relevance. I don't see why he would stop producing as long as he's playing with Sid. And I don't see why he would be removed from his line. His production is giving the GM no incentive to trade for Iginla or a top winger. Get him, but 'try' not to overpaid too much.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    James Neal was a quality forward before he ever landed in Pittsburgh. That trade with Dallas was so one-sided it wasn't even funny. He also exploded to the next level almost before he reached the team facility in Pittsburgh.

Kunitz, on the other hand, has taken the past four or five years or whatever to figure it out, after most poolies had pretty much given up on him.
    Kunitz was also a quality forward before he landed in Pittsburgh. Something people seem to either overlook or forget.

By the way, Neal struggled with the Penguins when he arrived. 1 goal in 20 games. He generated chances but couldn't bury the puck in. I wouldn't call that instant exploding to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    Let's just say that Kunitz is Matt Moulsining is way to fantasy relevance.
    Kunitz was 'mattmoulson' long before Matt Moulson became fantasy relevant or Kunitz even arrived in Pittsburgh.
    Last edited by Carcillo; March 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    Let's just say that Kunitz is Matt Moulsining is way to fantasy relevance. I don't see why he would stop producing as long as he's playing with Sid. And I don't see why he would be removed from his line. His production is giving the GM no incentive to trade for Iginla or a top winger. Get him, but 'try' not to overpaid too much.
    I'd agree with this 100%. As long as Kunitz is producing next to Crosby, he won't be moved. And, while we worry about another Crosby injury, not sure that's enough of a concern for a Kunitz owner to move Crosby.

Dobber Sports Genius

I will go out and say after this season Kunitz will never be able to come close to this type of production again. He will go back to the same old type player he was in years past.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Kunitz was also a quality forward before he landed in Pittsburgh. Something people seem to either overlook or forget.

By the way, Neal struggled with the Penguins when he arrived. 1 goal in 20 games. He generated chances but couldn't bury the puck in. I wouldn't call that instant exploding to the next level.

Kunitz was 'mattmoulson' long before Matt Moulson became fantasy relevant or Kunitz even arrived in Pittsburgh.

Perhaps, but I can tell you that I wouldn't have traded away Neal for Chris Kunitz any more than I would have traded him for Alex Goligoski.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but twenty games is a mere blink of an eye compared to the time it took Kunitz to figure it out.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Initiate

Did Kunitz always get as much PPTOI as he is now? I dont remember him being on the PP1 before the Crosby injury. Anyways....I will continue to treat Kunitz as a 50-60 point player in trades. If you have to pay more than that you are taking an unnecessary gamble.
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore