Thread: Granlund

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Granlund

So, word is that he has been demoted to the AHL. He hasn't been much use to me this year, but I kept him as a "young keeper" from last year. I thought I had a plethora of players in this category, so earlier this year I traded both Damien Brunner and Brayden Schenn. That leaves me with:

Tarasenko
    Schneider
    Granlund
    Conacher
    Johansen
    Atkinson
    Zibanejad

I keep 3 of these for next year. Granlund may eventually be a huge star, but if that is 3 years away then he's of no use to me. Tarasenko will definitely be kept, and Conacher has been impressive this year.

So, my question is whether anyone sees Granlund as being a meaningful contributor this year or next. I know what the scouts were saying at the beginning of the year. I know that sometimes it takes time (eg - Joe Thornton) for a playmaking Centre to develop. Still, it is concerning that he hasn't produced at the level that some other rookies have.

I doubt I'd get much for Granlund in trade, because most of my competitors don't put the time in to learn about prospects that I do.

What's everyone's thoughts on Granlund?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You're right, selling Granlund now would be a mistake because you wouldn't get much value. He is the most valuable fantasy prospect right now. Sell high on Conacher, try to trade Zibanejad, and Keep Granlund, Tarasenko, and Schneider.
    12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

C: Malkin, Backstrom, Turris, Bozak
    LW: Ryan, Parise, Hartnell, Ladd
    RW: St. Louis, Voracek, Wheeler, Semin
    D: Phaneuf, Boyle, J. Johnson, Suter, Goligoski
    G: Lundqvist, Lehtonen, Scrivens, Neuvirth

Dobber Sports Rookie

Granlunds a bust. He sucks.

I'd trade him for almost any prospect at the moment.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by taiyed7210 View Post

Wow, please don't take this advice.. That would be a huge mistake if you gave up on Granlund..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

Pretty tough to give up on such a young player so early. I won't, but I do have to be cognizant of whether he will be good enough within his first 164 games to keep.

I was just hoping for some opinions from people who've watched him play. I haven't seen a single Wild game all season.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Pro

Thornton got 40 pts at 19, 60 at 20. His rookie yr was bad, but Granlund is older than Thornton in his rookie season. Its not an ideal comparison.

Always felt Granlund was overrated. He could still produce but I wouldnt expect big numbers. Poor man's Saku Koivu.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Pretty tough to give up on such a young player so early. I won't, but I do have to be cognizant of whether he will be good enough within his first 164 games to keep.

I was just hoping for some opinions from people who've watched him play. I haven't seen a single Wild game all season.
    He was outmatched physically early on and it was very noticeable. Showed some issues adjusting to the speed of the game right away as well. He really improved his last few games though when he was playing but it was too little too late to get back into the top six of the lineup. Cullen really picked up his play moving into the center spot on the 2nd line. Helps that it was right when Seto picked up his play at the same time.

So some of his poor play was due to him trying to adjust right away and some was due to his play of the teammates around him. Seto was playing like shit at the beginning and then he was playing with PMB and Heatley on the third line and those two have not played well at all either, especially PMB.

Now the Yeo has found the identities of his lines though and they don't want Granlund just playing on the bottom line so they sent him back down to Houston so when they do need him he will be at the top of his game instead of coming out of the pressbox.

Patience and time will be needed, not sure if you can afford to wait though at this point.

Another possible reason for the demotion too is that with the short schedule the Wild don't have as much time to let Granlund adjust as they normally would have given him in a full season if they want to win and make the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Not the best news so far, but thanks everyone.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Filadelphia View Post
    You're right, selling Granlund now would be a mistake because you wouldn't get much value. He is the most valuable fantasy prospect right now. Sell high on Conacher, try to trade Zibanejad, and Keep Granlund, Tarasenko, and Schneider.
    I think this is very good advice. As far as I'm concerned Granlunds upside dwarfs that of Conachers. I would listen to Fila.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Good advice

Conacher is going to get buried in Tampa soon. Maybe hes the needle in the haystack (if you read the daily ramblings youve seen the list of the 6-7 guys they have up and coming) out of all the Lightnings prospects, meaning he could be the one guy who gets to play with Stamkos and will already have had a good year under his belt. (already an NHL Calder Can. while the others play in the AHL)
    However small players dont normally suceed either (similar to bigger ones like Joe) in their first few years. Im pretty sure people value Ennis higher, with less points this year and 140 more games under his belt, than C.C. The competition in Tampa is fiercer than most other teams for the top line, and the reward is greater. A guy like Granlund will have to compete with Miko for the 1st line and getting the chance to play with Parise. That won't happen anytime soon, not to worry though cause Charlie Coyle is no slouch and neither are the other upcomming prospects in Minnesota.
    Schneider is an All-Star caliber goalie that is a must keep along with Tarasenko, hence the debate is only between Conacher and Granlund. Does anyone have 3 prospects that are worse than Ziban, Atki and Johan? With Conacher in there (or possibly Granlund) I'd imagine your returns in a trade could be quite something if the right trade partner is found.

Something you mentioned is you want players who could be relevant for you soon, and i dont think Granlund is THAT close. I love him, think he's amazing, super talented, but he will not count on a winning team in the next 2 years, even with all my praise. Conacher could count for a winner as early as this year. Does that mean he will next year? No, but he has a better chance at counting than Granlund imo. Johansen and Atkinson are just as NHL ready as Granlund and both have better opportunities for 1st line minutes next season. If you're looking to compete this season and next, deal Granlund for a big name that you can rely on. You can afford to move all of those guys except Tarasenko and Schneider (they could help just about any team win a pool next season) for something big in return if it gets you a better chance at winning next season. That chance needs to outweigh Granlund's superstar potential though, because Conacher is more of a Kunitz than a Thornton.
    Last edited by TangerineDreamTeam; March 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
    10 Team Keeper, NO POSITIONS, POINTS ONLY Keep 20
    D. Sedin, Spezza, Hossa, Eriksson, Iginla, Hodgson, Sharp, Statsny, Bergeron, Pavelski, Letang, Brown, Berglund, Read, Turris, Filppula, Kreider, Palmieri, Schwartz, Baertschi

Dobber Sports Ace

The best think that could happen to Granlund is if, or should I say when they get rid of Yeo. I think a new coach with a differnt approach will do wonders for Granlund.

I think his mission should be to go down to AHL, and tear it apart. He needs to regain his confidence, and work on what's needed at the NHL level. I'm waiting to see how he shows at next seasons training camp.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineDreamTeam View Post

Schneider is an All-Star caliber goalie that is a must keep along with Tarasenko, hence the debate is only between Conacher and Granlund. Does anyone have 3 prospects that are worse than Ziban, Atki and Johan? With Conacher in there (or possibly Granlund) I'd imagine your returns in a trade could be quite something if the right trade partner is .
    Great post, thank you. The problem with my league is that about half the managers don't really pay attention to prospects, so many of them likely have not heard of Granlund. I don't think I would get much for him. So much depends on the league you're in, but your analysis is sound and your suggestions are appreciated.

Zibanejad may be kept. He's a Senator, and that's my team.

I agree with your comments about Schneider, but he is unlikely to be kept unless I decide to drop Rinne. We only start 1 goalie, and only 3 teams out of ten kept a goalie.

I may be able to get something for Conacher. Perhaps I'll put everyone other than Tank on the block and see what kind of offers I get.

With Granlund's reported upside, I am prepared to hold on to him....unless it appears that he will be fantasy irrelevant for his first 3 years. I take it you foresee that to likely be the case.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by taiyed7210 View Post

Bust. 19 games. Next.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

are the guys calling granlund a bust?? LOL

you.guys.are.a.joke.period.
    Kansas City Scouts
    14 Team Dynasty Points Only 68Cap Use Cap Hit
    F- Hall PKane Gaudreu Lindholm Toffoli Tatar DSedin HSedin Monahan Nash Couture Schfiele Burakovsky Kucherov
    D-Shultz Gelinas Savard BSmith
    G-Price Rinne
    FARM- Barkov Prince RMurphy

New York Raiders
    14 Team Dynasty Points Only 64.3Cap Use Yearly Salary
    F-Backstrom Hall Stamkos Stastny Eller Zetterberg Galchenyuk holland Raymond Griffith Zibinajead Barkov Kuznetsov Sheahan Schfiele
    D-Shultz Faulk Franson Hunwick
    G-Price
    FARM- Marcantouni Dansk Grigerenko Morrisey

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    With Granlund's reported upside, I am prepared to hold on to him....unless it appears that he will be fantasy irrelevant for his first 3 years. I take it you foresee that to likely be the case.

It won't take 3 years. He'll hit 50 next year and then take off from there.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper